Parking Mode Query

Relicsinner

Reaction score
Country
Australia
what are the major pro/con choosing the time lapse parking mode over the motion+g sensor parking mode?

I'd recommend trying both for a while and see which you like. Some pros/cons...
Motion-detection, if you're parked in a busy area, will fill up your memory card with generally useless recordings, no matter how low the sensitivity.
With motion, because the camera is pretty much always recording (it just decides what to store based on motion), if you're parked in a really hot area you may experience camera overheating & shutdowns. That was the most common complaint that led to time-lapse being implemented.
With time-lapse, it just snaps one frame every few seconds and gives you a generally reasonable coverage, but if something "bad" does happen (that doesn't trip the G-sensor), you may miss it. But on the flip side it may catch something that the motion detection might have missed.

Personally, I switched to time-lapse as soon as it came out, and never saw a reason to switch back. For my purposes, it works.

timelapse modes is both great and terrible. It is great for an overal overview if you have more security cameras it is even great you will quickly know when what happens. But now Imagine someone walks up your car and keyes your windows or smears dog exrements. This happend to my car it was vandalised by the same crazy female neighbor regardless were i would park it. In that case i want to have as many frames and audio as possible so not only i but the police can view what happends. I love teslas sentry modes how they capture keyers. I dont have a tesla or sentry but it certainly is the future of were we will go with dashcam Parkingmode security. blackvue parking mode is the best i have for my car at this momemt.
I set motion detection well now
It will trigger the sensor regardless if you gave it set to a reasonable setting that works for you. For me i used timelapse modes before i knew how to properly setup motion detection to record the right footage. I have cctvs around the house as well so i know if it missed something. My problem was at first the led and cctv infrared was triggering my motion detection at night every minute. Took me quite a while to find a setting that works 24/7.

what are the major pro/con choosing the time lapse parking mode over the motion+g sensor parking mode?
Tomcat makes some good points. I also used time-lapse as soon as it came out, and my insurance co rejected one video i sent them because it didn't clearly show the impact. So maybe setup Time-lapse and lower the sensitivity?

I was in the understanding that in G sensor parking mode, the camera is buffering the video all the time and when the G sensor is triggered by a bump, the previous 5 seconds plus the 30 seconds or so after the bump are committed to the SD card?
I have just RTFM, and this is sort of explained on page 21 therein.
Here you go.

Identify video files by recording type
Normal
The dashcam records in normal mode by default.

Event When the dashcam detects an impact while in normal or parking mode, it switches to event mode and saves an event recording beginning 5 seconds before the event trigger. Exceeding the set speed limit will also trigger an event recording.

Parking In parking mode the dashcam continuously buffers video. When motion is detected in the dashcam's field of view, it saves a parking recording beginning 5 seconds before the motion detection.

Manual If proximity sensor is set as a manual recording trigger in the firmware settings, touching or waving a finger within 20 mm of the sensor will turn on manual recording.

I was in the understanding that in G sensor parking mode, the camera is buffering the video all the time and when the G sensor is triggered by a bump, the previous 5 seconds plus the 30 seconds or so after the bump are committed to the SD card?
I have just RTFM, and this is sort of explained on page 21 therein.
Here you go.

i have been hit twice while in parking mode and the -sensor didn’t trigger. I guess I need to turn up the sensitivity setting, but then again if you close the trunk after putting in your groceries it could trigger the sensor too

but then again if you close the trunk after putting in your groceries it could trigger the sensor too
That doesn't really pass the 'so what' test does it? Either you want bumps to trigger it or you don't want the boot trunk closing triggering it. What is the boot trunk closing if it isn't a bump.

Bear in mind that it doesn't switch into parking mode for 5 or so mins after stopping, so it will not be on high sensitivity until then. But, of course, that is of absolutely no use whatsoever when returning to the car after doing the shopping. (so please refer to the 'so what' test again) :D . It's only one more false alarm, but you might 'catch' the hitters.

Back