Parking mode question

speedlever

Reaction score
I have a new A119v3 coming. I'm curious how the parking mode works. I plan to replace an older G1W-C with it in a vehicle that often sits in a garage for days at a time without being driven. I would think in such a scenario, parking mode is of no use.

How would you implement parking mode in such a scenario where you want it available when driven and yet disabled for multiple days of inactivity. Except if it's parking at an airport parking lot for several days... that's a different scenario.

Is there a quick way to enable/disable parking mode?

Edit: I meant this to go in the A119V3 thread. I don't see a way I can move it once posted. Can an admin help please?

I would like to extend on this topic - I plan to use the A119V3 with HK3 in a vehicle, where the ACC is cutoff only after the car is locked, which means it is impossible to get to the camera to turn it off manually.
Does it at least work the same way as on A129 Pro, where if the parking mode is turned off in menu, it will switch off instead of going into the parking mode?

I would like to extend on this topic - I plan to use the A119V3 with HK3 in a vehicle, where the ACC is cutoff only after the car is locked, which means it is impossible to get to the camera to turn it off manually.
Does it at least work the same way as on A129 Pro, where if the parking mode is turned off in menu, it will switch off instead of going into the parking mode?
Yes, if parking mode is off in the settings, camera will turn off when car does (or when you lock your doors in your case).
Why can’t you manually turn off the camera?

Why can’t you manually turn off the camera?

I always thought that I have to turn the camera manually off only after it has been switched to parking mode, but it seems that you imply that it should be possible even before, that means turn it off while still in normal recording mode before ACC is cut, and it should remain off after it is cut? Never thought of that :)

Anyways, thank you for confirming it will switch off if parking mode is off. I suppose there is no easier way to quickly turn parking mode on/off other than going into the menu, right?

I always thought that I have to turn the camera manually off only after it has been switched to parking mode, but it seems that you imply that it should be possible even before, that means turn it off while still in normal recording mode before ACC is cut, and it should remain off after it is cut? Never thought of that :)

Anyways, thank you for confirming it will switch off if parking mode is off. I suppose there is no easier way to quickly turn parking mode on/off other than going into the menu, right?
Yes, turning off before you shut off engine works just fine. I do it all the time.

Yes, turning off before you shut off engine works just fine. I do it all the time.
Thought I'd ask this here too... Is there a way to switch the dash cam operation from parking mode back to a normal mode WITHOUT POWER CYCLING IT, if the dash cam is powered from the Power Bank and does not use the HK3 kit ?
Thanks.

Thought I'd ask this here too... Is there a way to switch the dash cam operation from parking mode back to a normal mode WITHOUT POWER CYCLING IT, if the dash cam is powered from the Power Bank and does not use the HK3 kit ?
Thanks.
Without the 3-wire kit, the camera should come out of parking mode when you start driving.

Without the 3-wire kit, the camera should come out of parking mode when you start driving.
Nope. When I start driving, it is an equivalent of sustained long motion in FOV - camera keeps recording the 45-sec long clips with 15-sec gaps between them. Those clips have "P" at the end of the file name and are recorded with 8Mbps bitrate, whereas in normal mode, the clips should have been recorded continuously, should be 1min long, have no "P" at the end and use 30Mbps, as I have set in the menu.
So, no - unfortunately, upon starting driving camera does not automatically come out of parking mode.

Nope. When I start driving, it is an equivalent of sustained long motion in FOV - camera keeps recording the 45-sec long clips with 15-sec gaps between them. Those clips have "P" at the end of the file name and are recorded with 8Mbps bitrate, whereas in normal mode, the clips should have been recorded continuously, should be 1min long, have no "P" at the end and use 30Mbps, as I have set in the menu.
So, no - unfortunately, upon starting driving camera does not automatically come out of parking mode.
It should, so I would reinstall the firmware (V1.03). After reinstalling, manually default the settings in the menu, then press the reset button on the side of the camera for at least 5 seconds. Set the camera back up and test again.

It should, so I would reinstall the firmware (V1.03). After reinstalling, manually default the settings in the menu, then press the reset button on the side of the camera for at least 5 seconds. Set the camera back up and test again.
I haven't touched (flashed) the firmware (v.1.03) since I purchased the camera - it is still original.
I don't mind doing what you suggested, but let's be clear on what we expect to see after that. I understand that this camera does NOT use the GPS data (location change) to get out of parking mode, right? So, it's all about motion detection (and G-sensor, which is not activated in smooth driving). So, how soon should switching from parking to normal mode should happen upon starting to drive? And how is driving in this case different from say continuous traffic flow when you are parked on the busy road or in the shopping centre on a pre-xmas shopping day?
Thanks.

One of the 3 wires should be connected to an ignition source and it's that connection that tells the cam whether the car is being driven or not.

I missed that bit, but I would still consider a 3 wire kit if you want to use PM as this way it must be more reliable as you have a trigger wire.

There are for's and against's of using HK3, but even if I use it, that would not answer my question in post #8.

There are for's and against's of using HK3, but even if I use it, that would not answer my question in post #8.
it's meant to change back automatically once you start moving, the 3 wire method is a lot more reliable as it's a definite on or off type situation based in power input, not relying on a software solution

it's meant to change back automatically once you start moving, the 3 wire method is a lot more reliable as it's a definite on or off type situation based in power input, not relying on a software solution
Yep, I know about pin 4 of MiniUSB connector used in HK3 to control parking mode on/off, but I have my reasons to use the power bank, at least for now.

If it's meant to change back to normal mode automatically once the vehicle starts moving, how is this different from detecting the motion in FOV ?
Does the software rely on GPS data to recognise car movement? (I believe it doesn't) So, how does it tell the continuous motion in FOV (busy street parking) from when the car itself is in motion?

Anyway, in my case, as I wrote above, when the car starts moving after being parked, the camera keeps recording 45-sec long clips with 15-sec gaps beetween them, with low bitrate (8Mbps), all the way, which tells me that it never gets out of the parking mode.

Yeah I'm not sure what methods they are using to determine when it should change modes when using two wire power, I don't know that two wire parking modes can ever be 100% reliable for all users

It enters the parking mode OK... just doesn't leave it.

You said "they" about VIOFO... and your status says "Manufacturer". I thought you were affiliated with VIOFO, are you not?

Back