Parking Mode settings on fw v1.22

Deacon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve got both of my X2PROs set up with this (currently beta) firmware, with new one coming with it courtesy of @Street Guardian USA with my recent order. I haven’t installed the parking mode hardwire and rear cam yet on the new one but did get the parking mode hardwire set up on the wife’s car today.

While driving it’s running in 1080P30 for now (unless/until 60 is recommended) on a new 128MB Samsung Pro Endurance v-nand card. I initially set parking mode to 30fps to try it out, but I backed it off to 5fps for now and look forward to seeing how useful or choppy it is. I was surprised to see no in-between like 15fps.

But really my question is whether there’s any downside to running 30fps. This is in the San Antonio, Texas, area, so ambient temps will get high baking in the summer sun, and I’ve heard BlackVue cams will quickly overheat and shut down in parking mode. While it’s not good for video quality, she does have a full nearly-invisible windshield 30% heat rejection film, and all but the lens is behind a 5% eyebrow tint strip over that. She leaves her windows cracked, but still. Other than wear and tear on the card and more rapidly overwriting non-saved video, any downside to 30fps or advice on what to run?

PS I have shutdown timer set to 24 hours and power supply cutoff at 12V.

60 FPS are just useful if you don't have rear connect camera connected, if you have the whole kit it can only do 1080/30 on both cameras.
The 60 FPS setting do seem to have some problems, i think i read somewhere that SG are working to fix that for the few that would want to use that.
In my testing of two similar cameras with 30 and 60 FPS i found no reason to go with 60 FPS, which i for a while before that had a firm feeling that it must be better with more FPS.

Right, 30fps has been fine so far. Her car doesn’t have a rear cam, as she doesn’t seem interested and has a pop-in (semi-permanent) rear shade thing VW sells that pretty much precludes rear cam placement anyway. The X2PRO with the not-yet-installed rear cam is for my car, replacing the GCv3, and I’ll be installing the parking mode hardwire for that as well. The GC is getting relocated to my truck, which mostly just does truck duties these days. And my X2 is suctioned onto the rear window independently. We’re an SG family lol

So... No general advice or specific thoughts on any operational downsides of 30fps for parking mode?

Today is the first day the wife will have parking mode enabled at work, and it’s set at 5fps. I’ll try to have a look this evening at the footage and see if anything can be seen (people walking, vehicles moving, whatever) and see how it looks and how much space it takes up.

Now that it have become a option i think i will be using the regular video / low bitrate for parking mode.
But i will have to experiment a little as really i am just guessing here and things might change when i get my hands on hardware that allow me to explore deeper.

I have been thinking, the low bitrate are fine for the speed of events on a parking lot / garage, but if you park curb side and your ride get sideswiped at speed, then the lower bitrate may be a drawback.
But i have no idea, will have to park my car alongside a curb where cars "zoom" buy and pretend i get sideswiped, and then compare the results from the different modes.
But personally i am not that worried using low bitrate as i do most often park in a parking lot where general speeds are lower, only like today where i have been to the bank to pay a bill have i parked alongside a curb in downtown Randers where i live.

Back