Parking mode SG9663DC or SG9663DR ?

DR wiring will be different, not interchangeable with the DC wiring, benefits are it is more discrete and removes some of the stuff that normally gets hot away from the window

I see about the benefits.
But does it still mean you now have to run extra wires to connect the cameras to the main unit hidden somewhere?

Of course the cameras need to be cabled back to the main unit
I guess you're still working on the OTA power and data transmission? :ROFLMAO:

But does it still mean you now have to run extra wires to connect the cameras to the main unit hidden somewhere?
You hide main unit somewhere. Run a power cable to it so it can work. Plus a cable for each camera (2). Seems quite logical... Or what "extra wires" do you mean?

...Run a power cable to it so it can work. Plus a cable for each camera (2)...
Likely will need one for the GPS as well since it's unlikely to be integrated with any of the other components.

That would be a shame. No excuse for legacy requirements of extra GPS receiver dongles hanging off the unit these days.

Yes. Most seem to pick up GPS through the dash plastic just fine.

Yes. Most seem to pick up GPS through the dash plastic just fine.

in your car, what about for others?

when we make a camera that sticks on the window we know how it is going to be used, when you make something hideaway it can be put in all sorts of places, putting the GPS inside the main unit is not suitable for this application

You hide main unit somewhere. Run a power cable to it so it can work. Plus a cable for each camera (2). Seems quite logical... Or what "extra wires" do you mean?
Yes, that what I meant. I thought maybe the cameras would send the signal to the main unit using wifi or something.

Yes, that what I meant. I thought maybe the cameras would send the signal to the main unit using wifi or something.

even if they were wifi instead of a data cable you'd be running a power cable, using a cable is far more reliable than any current wireless technology

Yeah even if they was wifi you still need to power them, though wireless power and charging are getting more and more popular, its not something i an ever going to use voluntarily.
Just like NFC,,,,,, Oooo no baby not for me.

Placing the GPS antenna in the camera would kind of defeat the purpose if stealth is the objective.

Richard

And of course with the smaller cameras of the DR it would mean it will be a near perfect solution for any dashcam addicted person wanting to add side cameras too.
I am kind of anxious to see this thing and how it does with parked recording.

would it get reception where you want to hide the main unit though???
I am picturing a GPS dongle that can be mounted high up under the dash with the main unit placed anywhere. The fleet tracking GPS we use mounts this way so there is nothing visible at all.

will be the same as the DC i am sure, and yes it will need to have a mouse antenna just like all SG GPS cameras, only issue i can see is how long a wire to make, got to be longer than the current ones that is only meant to reach from mid windscreen to the corner of it.
But i think extending the wire for GPS mouse antenna are no big problem, so i assume the camera might come with the current cable length, and then a extension cable if you bury the RC deep in the car.

My dashboard is all metal on top. Then again it's 27 years old- something your plastic car will never be able to achieve :LOL: Many modern cars have a visible sensor on the upper windshield, and as small as the ones for GPS are nowadays, nobody will ever notice it. Even in my old bus which never had anything up there. Jokin's approach is the best overall- something which will work very well for nearly everyone and in nearly every vehicle.

Phil

if you have some kind of stickers up there, you can put a GPS antenna on the back of that, i have contemplated that myself for my MOT sticker, but i just had my car inspected and no sticker this time so i figure that is dropped now.
On the dash in one of the lower corners are actually also very stealthy locations, maybe even more so than on the glass.

My dashboard is all metal on top. Then again it's 27 years old- something your plastic car will never be able to achieve
27 years is not very old for the vehicles I am use to having. I decided to upgrade because I don't have the time, space or money to keep up repairs. Wife eats up the time and money. Need time and money to build the shop to have space. Also I was just mentioning they are able to get a signal in the dash, not that they have to go there. Old bus, what year? I recently sold my '66 Type 1 to a friend that wanted it for his daughters first car.

Back