Parking mode: time lapse vs motion and impact detection. Which one do you prefer?

Gyana

Reaction score
Country
India
I am trying to see what majority of Thinkware user prefers for parking mode other than energy saving mode.
I know time lapse also records impact event as well but motion recording is missing. Also is it possible to make use of time lapse video to identify the intruder or the license plate. I think it only provides the extra time of coverage and false sense of comfort that car is well watched but in reality you can make use of the time lapse video. Request everyone feedback

I prefer time lapse. Seems more reliable. I have tried motion detection but a lot of times there are pieces missing. And when parked outside there is always something moving. If a lower sensitivity. There is more pieces missing. So far time lapse has been good enough to see people’s faces if close enough and also license plates.
I think motion detection is only like a 20 second video. While time lapse is around 10 minutes. Yes is only at 2 frames per second. But I would have a whole 10 minutes to try and ID the other car or person.

My Personal Favourite is Time Lapse recording. It has been known for a genuine incident to be caught on camera in Motion Detection mode but then it Rains and the genuine file has been overwritten by lots of files showing rain dribbling down the windscreen (you may not have this issue as much in India!) I always recommend the largest possible memory card if people want to use Motion detection.

I would only use low bitrate paired with G- sensor on high when parked.
I will agree with Maddog, if you are to use parking guard, then you need to be looking at the largest memory cards your system can deal with VS what is cheapest and sort of okay just doing regular when driving recording.

BUT ! if you are anywhere in the hotter regions of India, and dont park inside, then i would not have too much trust in being able to do parking guard, a dash camera bathed in sunshine + making its own heat recording, it will soon have to do a thermal shut down.

I am wondering how they make CCTV cameras endure better, aside for painting them white, on a wall on a sunny day it must get pretty warm too.

Any form of constant recording (time-lapse or low-bitrate) is more certain than depending on an event to be detected to initiate recording since the event might not get detected. The downside of this method is that you may not have notification of the event and need to discover the damage yourself, and then you'll have to scan the saved files to find the event video. The cam should run cooler in these modes as well, which helps with reliability. Always use a large card as they will last longer and lower any chance that a clip you need will get written over by new video. Cards are relatively cheap these days anyway.

Phil

I am wondering how they make CCTV cameras endure better, aside for painting them white, on a wall on a sunny day it must get pretty warm too.

Shrink them to the size of a dashcam, paint them black, put the processor and memory inside, then mount inside a glass box (car) parked in the sun and they would very quickly lose all the endurance advantages you speak of ;)

Yeah, to my knowlege there are no secret sauce hardware in CCTV cameras, to a large degree the very same SOCs you see on dashcams and action cameras.

Back