Parking Mode v. BlackVue?

DroMike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S (pending)
I'm about to purchase my first dashcam and am considering the two flagship models from BlackVue, perhaps the (upcoming 2-chan.) Viofo A129 and of course a ThinkWare F800 or F800Pro. I just have a few questions. I realize I can find most online but the information may be more valuable coming from actual owners:

1. For the F800 series' parking mode, is the time lapse feature with (I think) 2 FPS recording a useful system? I ask because I believe the BV models don't have this at all. Or alternatively, is the standard buffered full recording feature better?; and

2. Are the extra features of the "Pro" model (i.e., possible cloud usage, energy saving parking mode and maybe the extra storage capability of 128GB) worth the extra money over the F800; that is, presuming the camera lenses are the same? If so, why or why not?

3. [Optional] Any reason you might have selected a ThinkWare dashcam over a BlackVue, if indeed you did?

Thank you kindly for your help. - Mike

not familiar with how well the pro version does or doesn't work for the extra features sorry

If you want cloud capabilities, go with blackview (end of story).

The energy saving feature of the F800 pro is only useful if you have a secondary camera support (e.g., a nest cam aimed where you park your car. Other than that, it is not very useful.

The 128 GB card support is only useful if you spend a lot of time on the road. (e.g., long daily commutes) or if you park on a street that has lots of activity and you want your camera to record every single time someone walks by your car. Other than that, a 64 GB SD card is more than sufficient.

The F800 Pro will only capture an incident while in parking mode, it will not notify you nor can you remote view the cam as you can do with Blackvue. Thinkware does not have cloud capabilities on the F800 Pro.

Hey Mike let me see if I can answer some of your questions

1. For the F800 series' parking mode, is the time lapse feature with (I think) 2 FPS recording a useful system? I ask because I believe the BV models don't have this at all. Or alternatively, is the standard buffered full recording feature better?; and

It's useful in high traffic areas and you still want parking mode so it doesn't use as much power/space on the memory card.
For most usage standard buffered recording is better as it only triggers on events.

2. Are the extra features of the "Pro" model (i.e., possible cloud usage, energy saving parking mode and maybe the extra storage capability of 128GB) worth the extra money over the F800; that is, presuming the camera lenses are the same? If so, why or why not?

The Cloud part isn't all that special tbh, it's really the support for the 128GB and the fact its all black so it doesnt stick out. Price difference between the two models isnt much as well.

3. [Optional] Any reason you might have selected a ThinkWare dashcam over a BlackVue, if indeed you did?

Thinkware units, in my opinion, has a better UI to work with. Also, the wifi connection seems to be better. However, BV is king of Cloud so if that's something you want to go with BlackVue

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

That's spectacular information Jimmy, thank you very much. (As you may have read around these forums) I've been vetting out cams from BV, Viofo (specifically the upcoming A129) and the BlackSys CH-200; but all things considered I'm now almost certain I'll go with the F800. The cloud has limited appeal to me and I personally don't drive enough to need a card larger than 64GB. Also I believe I'd actually use the F800's time lapse feature (2 FPS seems quite adequate whereas e.g., BlackSys is only 1 FPS...) and your comments about the UI and WiFi connection compared to the BV's are pretty big plusses. Ultimately, since BV doesn't have time lapse nor ADAS features which I do like, I'm still not getting much info on the A129, and the BlackSys doesn't employ STARVIS, it appears the last dashcam standing is the F800. Because of this and your input I'd bet dollars to donuts you'll be seeing my order come here shortly for the tried and true F800. :)*

*However, the A129 is still a wild card and I'm very interesting in learning the camera specifications and of course the price. Trying... to.....hold out.... just a little....longer...! haha

That's spectacular information Jimmy, thank you very much. (As you may have read around these forums) I've been vetting out cams from BV, Viofo (specifically the upcoming A129) and the BlackSys CH-200; but all things considered I'm now almost certain I'll go with the F800. The cloud has limited appeal to me and I personally don't drive enough to need a card larger than 64GB. Also I believe I'd actually use the F800's time lapse feature (2 FPS seems quite adequate whereas e.g., BlackSys is only 1 FPS...) and your comments about the UI and WiFi connection compared to the BV's are pretty big plusses. Ultimately, since BV doesn't have time lapse nor ADAS features which I do like, I'm still not getting much info on the A129, and the BlackSys doesn't employ STARVIS, it appears the last dashcam standing is the F800. Because of this and your input I'd bet dollars to donuts you'll be seeing my order come here shortly for the tried and true F800. :)*

*However, the A129 is still a wild card and I'm very interesting in learning the camera specifications and of course the price. Trying... to.....hold out.... just a little....longer...! haha

No worries Mike, I'm glad to help!
Just wanted to let you know ADAS features on dash cams can be helpful however it's no where near a true ADAS system found in newer vehicles.

would not rely on it...

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

Certainly; I've heard that information too. My '13 Chrysler 300S has a number of the features but there's a couple the ThinkWares have that I don't, so I look to supplement what I already have, as low-level as they might be. Hey, even one alert of any kind might be the one that stops the ol' airbag from popping out (and I'm not talking about the wife ifyouknowwhatimean)....

haha I certainly do

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

Mike: Did you end up with the Thinkware F800? Are you happy with the decision?

I'm also shopping for a dash cam. Current top two contenders are BlackVue DR750S-2CH and Thinkware F800 Pro. I like the three parking mode options in the Thinkware (and the ADAS features look cool too), but having three options to choose from is only helpful if I choose something other than Buffered (which is offered in the BlackVue). The BlackVue, on the other hand, looks smaller and based on the comments above seems to have better cloud features (although I'm less interested in those features than in the parking mode).

Just curious if you went ahead with the Thinkware, and if so whether you have any regrets?

Back