Parking Mode & Valet

PROTECTmyBEEMER

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am wondering if there is a way to set parking mode when you hand over the keys to the valet...so that the dashcam will record them parking the car, and then going into park mode so that it will catch any hits and movement while the car is parked. Then, start recording when they fetch the car, bringing it back to the pick-up point?
I am looking to buy the Lukas LK-7900 ACE and hard wire it to my car. I recently left me Beemer at the airport valet, where they park your car, and then when you return, you text the ticket number, they start your car and brush off the snow, boost it if needed and bring it around. It was not until I got home that I noticed they damaged the passenger front of the car at some point in the 5 days they had access to the car. Because I drove off the lot, and their cameras did not catch the incident happening - I am left using my insurance to pay for the ridiculous amount of damage they caused. I want to avoid that situation again by having a dash cam that can be triggered when I hand the car over, keeping watch on it right until I get back into the driver’s seat.
Any suggestions or advice from similar dashcam setups would be appreciated. I want to ensure good night video also, and the price tag doesnt scare me, I just want to protect my ride!

So you want a Dashcam that goes into parking mode when the car is turned off? Isn't that standard?

So you want a Dashcam that goes into parking mode when the car is turned off? Isn't that standard?

My mini 0801 doesn't have parking mode.

Parking mode is basically is a cam that automatically turns on motion detection recording as soon as you park. (Plus added G-shock sensor recording) Motion detection trigger should also record several seconds before g-sensor events to insure capturing moments that lead up to the incident.

Most 2012 dashcams that have motion detection today use an always on or nothing approach. (Like my mini 0801)

Or if they do have limited parking mode it's lame because it will miss the seconds leading up to the event meaning you miss a quick hot and run all together.

My Vicovation WF1 doesn't have parking mode or motion detection in the current firmware. (But there is nothing stopping them from adding it in the future), lots of room in the firmware unlike mini 0801)

The mivue was reported to have decent parking mode.
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/mio-mivue.32/

Last edited by a moderator:
Xybone:
Yes, most of the newer dash cams have a parking mode - which is great if I am going to park my car, lock it and then not touch it until I am back. But in my particular case - I hand the keys to my Beemer to the valet guy, who them drives my car on their lot, parks it, and then it sits, until they have to move it again to bring it up for me when I return. The problem I am seeing is, that I cannot activate parkmode when I hand over the keys to the valet, as he still has to drive it and park it.
So what I am after - if it exists - is a Dashcam that possibly goes into parking mode automatically when the car is shut off or, that I can set while the car is still running, that will trigger when they finally stop the car and lock the doors, and again keep watch on the car, including when they start it, and drive it back to me at the valet station. This way, if and when they damage my car again, I will have something to go back to say hey, this is when it happened...
JazJon - thanks for the review, i will have a look at the mio-mivue when i get a chance today :)

You could also use a Panorama II in motion detection mode (hardwired of course, but I hear Bimmers might have issues with that)

It is far from standard unless you want to access menus. Only a few Korean cams have this feature that automatically go into parking mode.

Some Bimmers have a battery drain sensor which would cut power to whatever fuse was in use.

My Lukas 7900 goes into parking mode automatically when I park. There are choices where you can set the software as to how many minutes elapse after you stop driving before the camera will switch from driving to parking mode. The strange thing I haven't figured out yet is that when I start driving again sometimes I'm 30 seconds down the road before it starts recording again in driving mode so that you can miss some of the start of the drive.

Ed

I personally don't care about parking mode. I want my camera to record 24/7. too bad it wont happen, But it would be nice if it record like 5mins before and 5mins after a G Shock. this would be ideal IMO.

According to techmoan review of the mobius
10mins = 1.38gb/64 = 46x10min = 460min/60min = 7.5hrs

According to techmoan review of the mobius 10mins = 1.38gb/64 = 46x10min = 460min/60min = 7.5hrs

A typical three minute clip from my Mobius averages 340MB. Standard data rate setting.

Back