Parking Mode - What if I DON'T Want to Hardwire.....?

DroMike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S (pending)
I'm shopping for my first dashcam, and am strongly considering the CH-200 over pricier flagship BV or TWare models (you know the ones...). I've been noticing on Amazon and on BlackBoxMyCar websites, that when speaking about using the parking mode, BBMC staffers routinely use imperatives like "you must," or "you have to" use hardwiring to use the parking feature. Because of that I have two questions:

1. What causes the CH-200 (or CH-100 if applicable) to automatically switch over from driving/recording mode to parking mode?; and

2. When manufacturers make several dedicated dashcam battery packs that provide the option to use cigarette adapter connections only, would there be any reason why they couldn't be used as shown below for the parking function on BlackSys dashcams that have this feature?

parking-mode-made-easy-2-e1468394644765.png

Like you said, the battery packs typically use a cigarette adapter.
So typically most dashcams would work using something like the B-112 you have pictured (or the bigger B-124, or Cellink Neo, etc.)

I'll leave the first question unanswered for someone who uses a BlackSys to comment.

Fair enough, thanks (and I do appreciate that corroboration). Otherwise I did peruse the CH-200 manual re question 1 and only saw the wording, "The product can be programmed with a set time to initiate the 'auto conversion to parking mode" function." However, it never really explains HOW or under what circumstances it converts to parking mode, er, automatically....

Yeah, I checked out the manual and saw the wording too.
I found a users review of the cf-100 and it mentions parking mode activates after a certain amount of time if DC fuse power cable (hardwiring kit/portable battery) is connected.
So it sounds like you modify the settings in the app to have parking mode activate automatically based on your "time while parked" setting. (the manual didn't look like it listed the options for times but it's probably in around the 5-minute mark)
I'd assume it would realize you're parked by lack of g-sensor movement perhaps.

Then you can have parking mode/the cam turn off based on either the built-in voltage cut-off or the timer settings.

DashOto, that sounds like a logical arrangement -- thank you for culling that information.

[OPTIONAL READ:] My plan -- all w/standard 12v cig connections -- is to power the cam permanently into a second switched outlet for rear seat passengers directly behind my center console). Obviously this will be for my driving videos and will operate the dashcam only when the car is running.

For parking however, since I haven't used my (23-lb) Jump 'n Carry ("JnC") portable car starter since I bought it 2 years ago (photo of it in another thread by me), I'm going to use it exclusively for the parking mode. It conveniently also features a 12v cig connection for anything 12v accessories one might have (as well as 2 USBs for tablets/cell phones); so I think this will be a perfect use for it. For all intents and purposes it's basically a dedicated mini car battery, haha. I'll put it under the front passenger seat with the top (with the 12v outlet) sticking out a few inches on the floorboard of the right rear passenger and if I park somewhere (I garage my car at home), merely remove the plug from the switched outlet to the JnC's outlet maybe 10 inches away. At least I'll do this until I tire of unplugging and plugging these in and opt to pay for a Cellink Neo. Still, as I said, I think I'd use parking mode infrequently so I'll see how it goes. Conveniently, the JnC can recharge from a standard household AC outlet and has had full power for 3/4 a year now without my using it, so this might be the perfect solution.

Back