Parking mode with HK2 and timer

konoppo

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi!

I have a question regarding this parking mode in A119 v3 with GPS, but have the same behavior in A129 Plus too. I need to use 2-wires hardwire kit (HK2) and I want to use parking mode with timer (my car sometimes is not used for few days). Now I have possibility to test this dashcam on my desk.
Everything is working as expected - after camera enters parking mode, and parking mode timer elapsed (I set 30 minutes for test purpose), camera turns off. Great. However, it nevers "wake up" from this state! I can shake it for few seconds, and it still "sleeps". Only clicking Power button can wakes it up, but I would like to work it automatically. I found detailed description for A129 only and it says that camera exits parking mode when detects car movement (by G-sensor or GPS). Howrver, this description says nothing about Parking Timer mode and other models of dash cam. I also have no possibility to test it with GPS (it's really hard to do it "on desk").

Is it possible to use such setup (HK2 + Parking timer mode) with any Viofo camera? Will camera be able to "wake up" from parking mode or timeout-power-off state automatically?

Thank you

Best regards
Konoppo

Hi!

I have a question regarding this parking mode in A119 v3 with GPS, but have the same behavior in A129 Plus too. I need to use 2-wires hardwire kit (HK2) and I want to use parking mode with timer (my car sometimes is not used for few days). Now I have possibility to test this dashcam on my desk.
Everything is working as expected - after camera enters parking mode, and parking mode timer elapsed (I set 30 minutes for test purpose), camera turns off. Great. However, it nevers "wake up" from this state! I can shake it for few seconds, and it still "sleeps". Only clicking Power button can wakes it up, but I would like to work it automatically. I found detailed description for A129 only and it says that camera exits parking mode when detects car movement (by G-sensor or GPS). Howrver, this description says nothing about Parking Timer mode and other models of dash cam. I also have no possibility to test it with GPS (it's really hard to do it "on desk").

Is it possible to use such setup (HK2 + Parking timer mode) with any Viofo camera? Will camera be able to "wake up" from parking mode or timeout-power-off state automatically?

Thank you

Best regards
Konoppo

You cannot use a 2 wire hardwire kit for parking mode. They require the Hk3 - 3 Wire Hardwire Kit I believe or about 99% certain.

You should be able to set a timer on the camera itself or use a voltage cutoff so the camera shuts off after reaching a certain voltage. I use 12.2 which is 50% battery for my cutoff.

I also have no possibility to test it with GPS (it's really hard to do it "on desk").
They used to work with g-sensor or GPS as in the manual, but that was before the parking timer was added! I think A119 and A129 still do work with GPS if you are not using the parking timer.

I think it needs the signal from the HK3 to wake it up after the parking timer has put it to sleep because it is in a genuine low power mode, not listening to GPS data, or anything else other than the acc signal from the HK3.

You should be able to use the HK3, and it has a better low voltage cutoff, not sure why you say you need the 2 wire?

Is it possible to use such setup (HK2 + Parking timer mode) with any Viofo camera?
Only if you correctly generate the acc signal into pin 4 of the USB connector, so if you are good at electronics then you can do it.

You cannot use a 2 wire hardwire kit for parking mode. They require the Hk3 - 3 Wire Hardwire Kit I believe or about 99% certain.

Generally entering parking mode does work with HK2, of course using Acc signal is more reliable, but looks like it's not necessary.
You should be able to use the HK3, and it has a better low voltage cutoff, not sure why you say you need the 2 wire?
Because of a car warranty I need to use fuse taps to connect to the power. However, in a fuse box inside the car there is no fuse powered after ignition is ON (ok, there is one, but it's too close to the cover, so it's not possible to put there anything higher than regular fuse).

Thanks for all answers.

(ok, there is one, but it's too close to the cover, so it's not possible to put there anything higher than regular fuse).
Maybe use one of those fuses that has a wire attached to one leg instead of a proper fuse tap, they don’t need any extra height?

Maybe use one of those fuses that has a wire attached to one leg instead of a proper fuse tap, they don’t need any extra height?
First of all I don't trust them. And I also couldn't find such fuse in ATS size (that's what I need). I hoped camera would work without it :). However, if there will be no other way, I will try with that.

When camera automatically turns off, GPS module still drains about 20-30mA at 12V (so 5V current is about 50mA), when without GPS, camera drains below 10mA. That's why I hoped it works and is able to wake camera up.

Generally entering parking mode does work with HK2, of course using Acc signal is more reliable, but looks like it's not necessary.

Because of a car warranty I need to use fuse taps to connect to the power. However, in a fuse box inside the car there is no fuse powered after ignition is ON (ok, there is one, but it's too close to the cover, so it's not possible to put there anything higher than regular fuse).

Thanks for all answers.

The Hk3 provides a red (battery), yellow (ACC), and black (Ground) wire. The Acc tells camera the car is on or off, and the battery wire allows car to record when car is off. Not sure parking mode would work with only a 2 wire kit.

The Viofo A119 V3 can switch to parking mode 5 minutes after stopping and switch to normal recording mode when driving starts at the signal of the GPS module.
This scheme works with a two-wire connection, but it is necessary to have a GPS module and in some firmware it did not work correctly

The parking mode (entrance and exit) when powered by a power bank and the presence of a GPS module works correctly in FWA119V3_V2.4 and mods based on it ...

The parking mode (entrance and exit) when powered by a power bank and the presence of a GPS module works correctly in FWA119V3_V2.4 and mods based on it ...

@ is having problems waking the camera up after the timer shuts it off. The ACC wire is the one that wakes up camera, telling it whether it's in park or regular recording mode. So either he needs to update the firmware on the cameras (which could very likely be issue), or the A129 Plus doesn't play nice with the two wire hardwire kit.

But yes, if the car sits longer than X minutes without moving and it has a GPS module, it should enter park mode.

Last edited:
@ is having problems waking the camera up after the timer shuts it off. The ACC wire is the one that wakes up camera, telling it whether it's in park or regular recording mode. So either he needs to update the firmware on the cameras (which could very likely be issue), or the A129 Plus doesn't play nice with the two wire hardwire kit.

But yes, if the car sits longer than X minutes without moving and it has a GPS module, it should enter park mode.

Yes, I have verified it using powerbank today. I connected camera to the power bank, waited few minutes to enter parking mode, then another 30 minutes to power off. After that I put this setup into my car and went for a ride. Camera didn't wake up.
That's sad, as GPS is still consuming current in this mode, but is not able to wake camera up? Really annoying!
However, I need to choose another option from many all of you have provided. Thank you I appreciate!
or do what everyone else does, leave the cover off

It would be the best option for most of cars, but not for mine. This doesn't look good and will look even worse with additional wires. Because of shape of the cover (which actually is a shelf) it's possible to connect fuse taps to only two fuses on the right.
20210529_224555.jpg

Worst place for a fuse panel, I can see why you need the cover, what car is that?
Opel Astra K. However, prior to 2019 the cover (shelf) was different and there was much more space under it. In my version it's not enough space for anything.

It do look as if the fuse box are close to that would cover that part of the center console.
Super easy to get to VS my more or less invisible to see and get to fuse box.

Yes, I have verified it using powerbank today. I connected camera to the power bank, waited few minutes to enter parking mode, then another 30 minutes to power off. After that I put this setup into my car and went for a ride. Camera didn't wake up.
That's sad, as GPS is still consuming current in this mode, but is not able to wake camera up? Really annoying!
However, I need to choose another option from many all of you have provided. Thank you I appreciate!

It would be the best option for most of cars, but not for mine. This doesn't look good and will look even worse with additional wires. Because of shape of the cover (which actually is a shelf) it's possible to connect fuse taps to only two fuses on the right.
View attachment 56850

Who the hell puts a fuse box behind the gear shift? I thought the Germans were suppose to be masters at engineering? Mercedes, VW, Porsche, Audi, and BMW. The Germans at Opel must be the flunkies that washed out at their education and went on to to whomever would hire them (Opel).

Is there not another fuse box under the Glove Box or elsewhere within the car?

Yes, it seems like you do require the Hk3 as I originally stated, for the reasons you mentioned above.

Last edited:
Yes, hopefully they can improve that in future models, but I think it’s currently limited by the hardware and can’t be fixed by firmware update.

I think I might make up a custom cover, and put the original back when you have finished with the car. Could put something more interesting in it than a shelf!

Yes, hopefully they can improve that in future models, but I think it’s currently limited by the hardware and can’t be fixed by firmware update.

I think I might make up a custom cover, and put the original back when you have finished with the car. Could put something more interesting in it than a shelf!

Like a "For Sale Sign"?

Talk about one poorly designed vehicle. What other oddities does the Opel Astra K contain....Worst design ever for Fuse Box Placement.

Is there not another fuse box under the Glove Box or elsewhere within the car?
Yes. One is in engine compartment and one in trunk. However, I'm doubt if any of them has any fuse connected to ACC instead of battery.

I will either:
- forget about parking mode and connect without any hardwire kit to cigarette lighter socket
- or use HK3, take power from the fusebox and somehow connect ACC wire to the cigarette lighter socket

Back