Parking mode with power bank possible?

mckenzie

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
none yet
Hi!
I'm thinking about installing a SGGCX2PRO into a BMW F11. The car has an Intelligent Battery Management, it recognizes if a devices draws power while the ignition is off and throws warnings and errors.

Is there a way to run parking mode off a powerbank instead?

not really, for these types of cars if you want parking mode need something like the Cellink Neo

Welcome to DCT @mckenzie :)
You can also run the cam entirely on a powerbank but the issues of charging and possibly needing 2 to keep up with constant usage, then switch in and out of parking mode manually all makes this very inconvenient.

BMW's power management system is unfriendly to anything which didn't come fitted to the car when it was sold. Certain models will support a HWK but will set off a warning light and trouble code, and resetting the code memory to clear the light only works for one driving cycle, then the light and code return. I don't think a fix or workaround has been discovered but if you find one please share it with us on this forum as this is one of the more common issues we are asked about here.

Phil

That is exactly what I want to prevent.

About the Cellink Neo: is that powerbank comaptible to SG cams? Or could I mend a cable which would be?

Thank you for your quick responses and your help!

the Cellink Neo has 3 wire output which is compatible with our hardwire kits (SGX2HW, SGDCHW) and will activate the parking mode correctly

Does the Amazon kit come with that 3 wire output? https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06ZZ4W66R
It appears I have to buy the Amazon kit and then get a "unspliced output cable" from here: https://www.blackboxmycar.com/colle...k-replacement-power-cable?variant=49800100551

Is that correct?

When my wife finally finds the exact car she's looking for, we'll be getting the SGGCX2PRO and the rear camera and setting up parking mode since she has to street park for 8+ hours a day. That might be a bit much for her battery.

I've got my SGGCX2PRO installed, now I'm trying to install the parking mode using a Cellink Neo battery. The SG hardwire kit has the voltage cutoff device in line, but I don't see the value in having that. Is there an easy way to bypass it or should I just switch it to the lowest voltage and hope the Cellink will last the hours we need?

I've got my SGGCX2PRO installed, now I'm trying to install the parking mode using a Cellink Neo battery. The SG hardwire kit has the voltage cutoff device in line, but I don't see the value in having that. Is there an easy way to bypass it or should I just switch it to the lowest voltage and hope the Cellink will last the hours we need?
the value in having that is not for the voltage cutoff, it's for the mode switching, it won't work without it, your Cellink is a 12V power source, still need to send 5V to the camera

Are there any cheaper power banks (ie less capacity) that we could use?

Does this also work with the SG9663DCPRO?

I'm going to get my equipment together. So far I think I'm going to need these items:
- SG SGGCX2PRO (of course)
- SG SGR291CAM rear camera
- SGX2HW-Mini Parking Mode Recording Hardwire Kit for STREET GUARDIAN SGGCX2PRO (the F11 seems to use mini-fuses in its glovebox fusebox)
- Cellink Neo (2019 Edition)

Is that list complete?

The Neo comes with a "Hard-Wire output lead (for dashcams with parking mode eg. Thinkware F800PRO)" - can I cut that cable and connect it to the HWK or do I need the "Cellink Replacement Power Output Cable (Unspliced)"?

I'm not sure about the cables for the Neo, have you got a link, fuse taps will end up being used for the Neo rather than the hardwire kit, everything else is correct

you might want to check on the legalities of using parking mode in Germany also, you have to be careful about what and where you record, there may be times when you have to turn it off

The picture on this page shows the included Thinkware cable to be 3-wired.

The optional Standard 3-Core Hardwire Output Cable on this page seems to have the same pin layout on the jack as the included cable, so it might be compatible.

It would be worth a try anyway. Worst thing that could happen is I would have to complete the setup on another day after ordering the additional cable.

Is it possible to deactivate the shutdown timer, so it runs in parking mode till the Neo gives up?

I think that come up before, and as i recall, no it seem like the largest timer setting are it ( so far as i understand it )

@mckenzie, I am looking forward to your update on how things worked out. I would be very interested in the same setup if you can make it work! Good Luck!

Back