Parking mode without hardwiring?

asd353879884

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just ordered my U1000.

Was gonna go with A129 pro, but read a lot of issues of that dashcam including unreadable video file, I decided not to get one.

I understand that in order to use parking mode, the device had to be hardwired, but I plan to put it in my I8 which has a accesory 12v socket which is also powered 24/7.

Just wondering if U1000 can enter parking mode after it detect no movement like a vantrue, blackvue will do? Or does it have to be hardwired?

It has to be Hardwired i'm afraid for parking mode. If you just left it plugged in it will record in the normal mode (not ideal) and also the battery voltage shut down will be disabled as it thinks your driving so a flat battery would be possible.

It has to be Hardwired i'm afraid for parking mode. If you just left it plugged in it will record in the normal mode (not ideal) and also the battery voltage shut down will be disabled as it thinks your driving so a flat battery would be possible.
That’s not ideal indeed since most dash cam on the market has this functionality.
Will this be updated in the future firmware?
Also can I toggle on parking mode manually?

It will never be updated, from what i understand very few cameras would shut down when powered like that they would need something like a Power Magic device fitted to make them shut down when the voltage got low.

You have ordered a Premium Camera there so i would recommend the proper installation. There is an OBD Cable available for easier installation but will keep parking mode working correctly. There is only 1 small difference that the camera will take a few minutes to drop into parking mode when you stop.

It will never be updated, from what i understand very few cameras would shut down when powered like that they would need something like a Power Magic device fitted to make them shut down when the voltage got low.

You have ordered a Premium Camera there so i would recommend the proper installation. There is an OBD Cable available for easier installation but will keep parking mode working correctly. There is only 1 small difference that the camera will take a few minutes to drop into parking mode when you stop.
Received my package from DPD just now, seems like it's manufactured two years ago(2019). They didn't make new units last year?

Was it bought direct from us? (thinkwredashcam.eu)

We stock rotate perhaps where you purchased from doesn't. It makes no difference though, nothing has changed in the units or anything and warranty is done by the receipt & serial no. It may just need a Software update (Install Thinkware PC Viewer to PC, Insert the memory card into the PC (after it has been powered up inside the camera at least once) and then Open the viewer, it will check software and give you the option to download updates, it puts them in the correct place on the card automatically. Pop the card back into camera and power it up and listen to verbal messages)

If you want to Message me the Serial Number i can check it....

Thanks
Steve

We stock rotate perhaps where you purchased from doesn't. It makes no difference though, nothing has changed in the units or anything and warranty is done by the receipt & serial no. It may just need a Software update (Install Thinkware PC Viewer to PC, Insert the memory card into the PC (after it has been powered up inside the camera at least once) and then Open the viewer, it will check software and give you the option to download updates, it puts them in the correct place on the card automatically. Pop the card back into camera and power it up and listen to verbal messages)

Thanks
Steve
Yes it's bought direct from you.
Thanks for the info, can't play with it rn as I discovered the 12v cable is the hardwire cable not the plug and play cable. Was quite excited when I get it.
Will try find someone to hardwire it before I can play.

Thanks
Steve
Hey, do you have any experience with this mount?

Universal Suction Mount for Dash cam with 3M adhesive mount for Street Guardian SG9665GC, VIOFO A118, A118C, A119, A119S A129 etc. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B071RKN3V3
The I8 has a very large plastic piece behind the rear view mirror, so sticking the unit on either side will result in part of the view been blocked, so the plan is to use a 3M tape to glue this mount to the plastic piece and then glue the U1000 to the mount.
Any thoughts?
Much appreciated.

Get a dedicated battery like cellink Neo hardwire that to the car and connect the dashcam to the battery. This way you won’t drain your car battery since car batteries are not designed for this kinda setups. I have been using it this way and it take about 30 ~ 40 min to charge the cellink neo while driving which gets me 24+ hrs of parking recording on my dual cam U1000
When I turn off the car the battery triggers the camera to go in parking mode.

I watched a few videos online, very easy to hardwire it. I ordered fuse taps from Amazon. You also need a multimeter or voltage test pen to align the taps in the correct direction. Fuses have power feed from one side.

I did this rather than tie up the OBD-II port.

The switch over from switched to unswitched power is what triggers parking mode.

Also, even with the voltage sensor, you can run an older battery too low.

I watched a few videos online, very easy to hardwire it. I ordered fuse taps from Amazon. You also need a multimeter or voltage test pen to align the taps in the correct direction. Fuses have power feed from one side.

I did this rather than tie up the OBD-II port.

The switch over from switched to unswitched power is what triggers parking mode.

Also, even with the voltage sensor, you can run an older battery too low.
Do you need to avoid certain slots like airbags?? etc. Also how do you know if it's a switched fuse? by testing with pen when powered off/ on?
Thanks!

Get a dedicated battery like cellink Neo hardwire that to the car and connect the dashcam to the battery. This way you won’t drain your car battery since car batteries are not designed for this kinda setups. I have been using it this way and it take about 30 ~ 40 min to charge the cellink neo while driving which gets me 24+ hrs of parking recording on my dual cam U1000
When I turn off the car the battery triggers the camera to go in parking mode.
It's freaking expensive. 270 to start not counting fitting:cry:. such an expensive accesory.

Hey, do you have any experience with this mount?

Universal Suction Mount for Dash cam with 3M adhesive mount for Street Guardian SG9665GC, VIOFO A118, A118C, A119, A119S A129 etc. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B071RKN3V3
The I8 has a very large plastic piece behind the rear view mirror, so sticking the unit on either side will result in part of the view been blocked, so the plan is to use a 3M tape to glue this mount to the plastic piece and then glue the U1000 to the mount.
Any thoughts?
Much appreciated.
I don't im afraid. We as a company have fitted into i8 BMWs and we've never needed to do any modifications. Please don't use the OBD Cable for a BMW i8 though it's one of the few vehicles that doesn't work with it!

I don't im afraid. We as a company have fitted into i8 BMWs and we've never needed to do any modifications. Please don't use the OBD Cable for a BMW i8 though it's one of the few vehicles that doesn't work with it!
I know, I8 will set off alarm when you lock it when something in OBD port.
I have watched the youtube hard wiring video and think I'm ready to do it.:ROFLMAO:

Btw, where do you put the dash cam when you fit it to I8? beside the large plastic piece?

Back