Parking mode

dws7808

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does parking mode only work on hardwire ?

So it's pretty much a useless feature people who doesn't have a power source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@dws7808.............. I use a 12,000mah power pack for many hours when parked

Do you have to unplug from the car and plug in to the power pack each time you get out of your car? Isn't hardwire better?

@Dashmellow........... Chime in here for your experience

Well, OK.

I've been using two identical generic 20,000 mAh power banks I paid just over twenty bucks each for on Amazon. They've been in almost daily service for three and a half years and two and a half years respectively in all kinds of conditions and continue to perform flawlessly with barely any sign of loss of charging capacity so far. (Well, the oldest one is showing a very slight loss of charging capacity after three and a half years but it is negligible.)

Anyway, I use them to power four cameras for parking mode. Generally, I leave my house with the cameras plugged into my truck and then when I arrive at my destination I switch to the power banks. In the beginning I did all kinds of crazy plugging and unplugging each time I'd park and return to my vehicle but now I just leave them plugged in for the entire time I'm out and about. Sometimes I will plug the cameras back into the adapters in my vehicle for the ride home out to the countryside where I live but often I just leave them plugged in the whole time. The two power banks will power the four cameras for the entire day if I wanted them to.

When I get home in the evening I bring the banks inside (I have two Pelican style cases to transport and store them in.) The best practice for charging is to let the power banks rest for a period after use to allow the electro-chemical activity in the electrolyte to settle down and to allow them to come to room temperature. Then I charge them @ 1 amp. Lower charging amperage and slower charging is better for the long term health and longevity of the batteries but 2 amps charging is fine too if you need a quicker charge.

Something like a Cell-link B would not be practical for running four cameras simultaneously and power banks are far less expensive. Once you get used to using them the extra effort involved becomes a habit and is no big deal.

This thread has a good video of a crash I captured in a parking lot with one of my power bank powered cameras when away from my vehicle.

Last edited:
Lower charging amperage and slower charging is better for the long term health and longevity of the batteries

Yup.......... I use a phone charger for my power banks which is slow and gentle

How many hours will a 20,000 mAh power bank last on one the a119s?
Also do I have to manually set the unit to parking mode each time if the camera is power via hardwire or power bank?

How many hours will a 20,000 mAh power bank last on one the a119s?
Also do I have to manually set the unit to parking mode each time if the camera is power via hardwire or power bank?

With the new firmware, V2.1, the Parking Mode is automatic. Just enable it in the settings and it will transition in and out based on motion and or g-sensor. There is a whole thread on it in the Viofo A119S section. It's pretty informative.

With the new firmware, V2.1, the Parking Mode is automatic. Just enable it in the settings and it will transition in and out based on motion and or g-sensor. There is a whole thread on it in the Viofo A119S section. It's pretty informative.

Thanks for the heads up.

So if my car is hardwire and setup for parking mode. Say I'm on vacation for two weeks do you think my hardwire with BDP (cell power cpusb01) last that long before it cut off?

Thanks for the heads up.

So if my car is hardwire and setup for parking mode. Say I'm on vacation for two weeks do you think my hardwire with BDP (cell power cpusb01) last that long before it cut off?
Probably depends on how good your battery is.

Thanks for the heads up.

even if it remained powered if you're planning on being away for 2 weeks most of it would have been overwritten already, may as well leave the camera off for that kind of time period

This is mainly for people who park on the street or at airport parking lot. Just incase if car get broken into etc. if the place does not have much people there will be very little motion so it shouldn't use much power.

This is mainly for people who park on the street or at airport parking lot. Just incase if car get broken into etc. if the place does not have much people there will be very little motion so it shouldn't use much power.

power is power, the only thing you can save if not much activity is storage space

Back