Particular type of cam needed.

WestOz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello all... I'm new here so please be nice :D

I'm looking for a particular type of dash cam for use in my job as a school bus driver. I already have a no-name cheapie bought from Aliexpress which fits the bill below except for item 2.

1. It must be single front facing lens only (privacy issues - no recording of school kids), and in case the question arises, it can't be a dual lens with inside lens covered up.
2. GPS, with speed and direction embedded on video files, as well as time & date.
3. Non WiFi.
4. 3"-4" screen, no bigger or smaller.

Does such a cam exist? Appreciate any and all informed replies :)

when you say you want direction embedded in the video, are you wanting a compass or you just mean GPS coordinates?

Both would be nice, but I'm trying not to limit myself too much. Even better would be to have options to choose from, ie compass or co-ords, or both or none.

don't know of any with compass in the video, the player software does that

if coordinates will do then probably suggest an A119S as a good all rounder that will do what you need

Checked out the A119S, seems quite good, especially with the SD slot able to take 128GB and having an internal capacitor instead of a battery. Both strong points. One downside though, the field of view is only 135°. You seem quite knowledgeable, can you give me an opinion on this one . 4K + 170°, but only 32GB.

My only other concern is that, given that the windscreen in my bus is near vertical, is there enough swivel in the lens of either unit for correct positioning after mounting? I suppose I will only know once I get my hands on a physical unit.

there are no dashcams with 170° lenses, it's Chinese marketing spin, that camera is also not real 4k, it's interpolated

vertical window is no problem for the A119S, viewing angle is plenty for what you need

Just a quick feedback... A119S arrived, installed with no issues, works perfectly. Reasonably good interface with quite a number of useful options. Picks up satellites within a few seconds after startup. Works well with Dashcam Viewer on PC, videos are sharp and smooth.

Cheers all :)

Back