Cessna CJ4

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Blackvue 750s Dual | Two Cellink B | 4G LTE 815S Aircard
0.5 inch PTFE Thread Seal Tape

IMG_0225.jpg

Is what I used to both quiet and secure my DR750s which was wiggling around inside its own mount. Apparently, someone at Blackvue or their fabricator got the specs wrong on the tolerances between camera and mount. I've seen a number of people talking about the fitment being too loose between the two, to the point where the camera wiggles too much on each bump in the road. In my camera, I heard a constant ticking sound in video playback which was the camera housing making physical contact with the camera mount. All that is gone now.

I wrapped the tape tightly around the adjustment teeth of the camera and another layer around the compression ring which is supposed to "snap" the camera into the mount. The tape acts like a kind of "friction modifier" as well, which turned out to provide finer rolling adjustments of the camera angle. Tape goes on the end of the camera (obviously) which is covered by the fully width of the opening in the mount. Therefore, the tape is not visible once the camera is inserted into the mount.

If you do this to quiet and stabilize your camera, make sure that you use a generous amount of tape (as it is very thin and highly flexible) until the fit is snug enough to provide a solution but not too tight such that you cannot adjust the camera angle once inserted. The amount of tape you will need will vary with the degree of looseness between your camera and its mount.

Good for providing seal around leaking threads on a water pipe or faucet - apparently good for increasing the circumference and modifying friction around a DR750s from Blackvue.

Annoying to have to do these kinds of tweaks to my camera gear, but whatever at this point. It is an invisible fix once installed and it has nice positive tactile feeling when rotating the camera for angle adjustments. Should cost a buck from the hardware store.

Just got a replacement mount in the mail today from Blackvue. The original mount was terribly loose and the camera would shake as you described. The font application was also very poor. The new mount is much more snug but I'll likely still apply some tape for some added benefit. I have a roll sitting in my garage!

Here's a photo of the original mount and the new one.

Old: https://prnt.sc/gwprcr
New: https://prnt.sc/gzkbqc

Here's a video of how loose it was

Just got a replacement mount in the mail today from Blackvue. The original mount was terribly loose and the camera would shake as you described. The font application was also very poor. The new mount is much more snug but I'll likely still apply some tape for some added benefit. I have a roll sitting in my garage!

Here's a photo of the original mount and the new one.

Old: https://prnt.sc/gwprcr
New: https://prnt.sc/gzkbqc

Here's a video of how loose it was

Yep, mine wiggled exactly like that and it make that annoying tick which the cam microphone picked up on playback. A little PTFE wrapped tightly around the sprockets and possibly around that little raised ring on the camera should dampen out any remaining wiggle and most certainly eliminate any tick. The 0.05 inch width fits perfectly around the cam's sprockets - almost like it was made expressly for it, LOL! Good work.

Is it normal that actual camera itself is a bit loose? I mean when you remove it from the mount and hold it by the ends. Mine is tad loose.

Is it normal that actual camera itself is a bit loose? I mean when you remove it from the mount and hold it by the ends. Mine is tad loose.
That doesn't seem right. Sounds like it wasn't assembled properly. Does it make sounds on the recording files?

That doesn't seem right. Sounds like it wasn't assembled properly. Does it make sounds on the recording files?

It doesn't. I am not sure if I will even request replacement over such tiny thing. I thought maybe its normal since its made of plastic.

Back