PC software for Garmin Dashcams ?

webvan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found "Dash Cam Player" on the Garmin website https://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/dash-cam-player and while it works ok to compile segments it hasn't been updated since 2011 apparently and doesn't show the position on the map or speed data properly for my Dashcam 45. Oh and it doesn't read Travelapse videos either.

Anyone know of other PC software that would be compatible ? I tried Kehan GPS Player and DashcamViewer but no go. I also looked for a website that would display geocoded videos but came up empty handed.

Thanks for any help !

Thanks, yes that's the method I followed but I also noticed it offered to group the videos in the "unsaved" tab. That way you would not have to extract GPX data file by file. Now if one file does not have GPS data (fix not yet obtained) that will likely make things difficult in Registrator Viewer even with the shift video feature.

There doesn't seem to be a way of extracting GPX data from the Travelapse files and since there is no GPX log on the camera you can't use Virb Edit to add gauges later on.

As I see, if you extract gpx also when there’s not yet gps fix, then in RV that period will be leave empty so synchronised correctly with video.
I not use travelapse function from the camera, I create it with RV saving the whole group with faster speed (I like 60x for longest trip so 1 hour equal to 1 minute). RV save also gps information in the travelapse file and is possibile to save it separately in a gpx file.
Bye.

Interesting thanks, maybe it's the method of using the grouped files in "unsaved" that's causing a problem, I'll experiment. The trouble with doing it individually is that you have 60 files per hour! Had you tried the grouping method?

Also if you don't use the built-in Travelapse feature (pretty convenient) because you get better results with RV then there are maybe cheaper options out there, especially devices that have longer than 1' video files. The little Yi is cheap (no GPS though so you'd need to log separately), has 3' files but there's a little jump apparently when you stitch them together...

I created a folder named "unsaved" in the same path of "saved" and i copy video files in it, but no way. I created the same structure of the camera's memory card, again non way. Garmin Dash Cam Player can't read the unsaved folder. It reads directly from the memory card and as you told me makes a group of the trip. It's too slow from the memory card. I saved the gpx file and imported in RV appear truncated... Any suggestion, like this not work.
Bye

You're correct, it reads only from the memory card (and it deletes the files there after grouping them, so better have a backup !) and produces a truncated gpx file when loaded into RV. If you load the .gpx in http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ it does appear complete (although there are huge jumps when the fix is lost) but that's not really going to help us.

Your method works well, including for timelapses, the only problem is having to extract the GPS data individually, which is rather painful, at 60x per hour !

Since I just got my Dashcam 45 I might return it and get one that works better with RV...the main reason I got it was for the automatic Travelapse but with a large memory card I suppose I could use RV to make a nice geocoded timelapse. Had you looked at other dashcams yourself ? The Toguard CE20 w/GPS looks interesting but 32Gb only so about 5.5 hours, not really enough for a roadtrip. Thanks again for sharing your experience !

Last edited:
I bought Garmin DashCam 55 in march 2018 and I have a Garmin DashCam 20 since 2015. At the moment i don’t want spend more money to experiment. I hope Garmin release a new version of the player with maybe a “batch” gpx extraction... it’s a very remote possibility. Or somebody in this forum know how to build a tool to extract gpx. Googling about that, I ’ve read that somebody discover already how gps and g-force data are embedded in Garmin dash cam video (avi for older DashCam, mp4 for newer) but no public user friendly tool available... i’m not able to do that.

It does seem like a very remote possibility since GDV hasn't been updated since 20141 apparently ! I will Google for the tool you mention, thanks for the hint.

Thanks, yes I found it after my post, as you say, not really user friendly ;-) I also found a shareware app for the Nuvicam posted on this forum that apparently tries to do some OCR on the video files but it takes ages and doesn't seem to work.

So I sent back the Garmin 45 and got the Toguard CE20 that's normally limited to 32Gb cards. By formatting a 64Gb SDXC to FAT32 I was able to get it recognized so that's a go !
The files can be imported fine in Registrator Viewer.
So no fancy POI, Alerts, Travelapse but a turnkey dashcam that produces nice pictures, what more could you want ? ;-)

I'm interested in this, I just contacted Garmin via their support chat as they seem to have no email address you can write to to inquire about concerns.

Garmins link to their dash cam player software is dead, they have no dash cam forums in their forums section and their proprietary method of embedding gps data prevents developers like earthshinesoftware from making their product compatible with Garmin dash cams.

The fellow in Garmin chat said that he'd record my concerns as customer impacts, perhaps if enough people did this they'd either fix/update their software or release some of their proprietary information to outside developers.

Thanks for the update, I'm afraid you shouldn't hold your breath though, Garmin have obviously zero interest in updating their Dashcam software, last time was 2014...but they still sell expensive Dashcams amazingly enough !

Their dashcam software isn't even available any more, let alone updating it. I let the rep know that this is unacceptable etc. and why can't they offer the same capabilities that they do with their Virb software etc.

Going to start tagging them in social media posts as well about their shortcomings, if they get enough negative press about this then perhaps they'll be pushed into doing something about it..

Back