PEBA D80 Dashcam Firmware Editing possible?

SturmGhost

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I brought THIS dashcam recently. Its called PEBA Dashcam D80.

I saw the "Ambarella A7" marking on the dashcam casing. I don't what it stands for but after googling I found a thread about Ambarella A7 firmware editing and a tool for it. Doe's anybody own this can and/or knows if firmware modding on this model is possible?

I want to change the time offset which is used when I manually want to store an event. In this case I can press a button on the dascam and the video would be stored permanently on the sdcard. The only big downside is that only the last 10 seconds BEFORE I pressed the button are stored (and 50 seconds after the button press). So it can happen that the interesting moment isn't stored because I pressed the button to late. I want to adjust this time offset to something around 30-60 seconds. There is not setting in the menu so I think only firmware modding is possible. I wounder if there is any usable tool for this job - like the mentioned tool?

Last edited:
Hallo SturmGhost.

The buffer ( time before you press event button ) are dictated by the amount of memory in the camera, and they normally don't have any surplus memory space to mess with. so that you can not change.
But as for how long after that are saved with the event file i think you might be able to do.

I prefer the new cameras that deal in video segments instead, so say you use 3 minute file size, and you are 2 minutes into the current file when you press the event button, then this current 3 minute file will be locked + the following one, so you have 6 minutes of event file in total. And you have 2 minutes from before you press the event button, and 4 minutes after you press the event button.
On the other hand if you are only 1 minute into the current segment and press the button, this current 3 minute file will be saved, but also the previous 3 minute file, and so in that case you have 3 + 1 minute from before you press the event button, and 2 minutes after ( 2 x 3 minutes in total )

Cameras doing event files like that you don't have to rush to the event button as you do with buffer cameras that only store a few seconds in the memory buffer.

Sounds like its not possible with my type of camera?

The video segment method you mentioned is far better then this buffer crap (when the buffer is to small)... But I guess its not possible the change this in firmware without the source code, right?

people have been making a lot of stuff with the ambrealla cameras for a long time, but in general it have centered around improving image quality.
I haven't heard anyone doing what you want to do, and i have no idea myself what to do with those firmware tools, sadly i don't have that kind of geek level.

lot of modders hang out here. https://www.goprawn.com/

The A7 SOC are well known, as i recall it was what was inside gopro 3 or 4 cameras, and a lot of other brands action cameras and dashcams too.

The A7 SOC are well known, as i recall it was what was inside gopro 3 or 4 cameras, and a lot of other brands action cameras and dashcams too.

Sure but I guess changing the buffering style event saving to video segments style isn't easy without any source code. I posted a topic over at the mentioned forum. Lets see If someone know more. :)

it won't be prebuffer, it's just cutting the file 10 seconds prior, that said I'm not sure you'd be able to mod the firmware with a hex editor to improve this as there are a lot of implications in just changing the value, you might find another firmware from one of the other brands it's sold under, I don't know if this is their standard approach though so others may well be the same, you could try messaging the manufacturer and see if they have any other version available, https://www.eeyelog.com/dash-camera/e720-dash-camera-with-motion-detection.html

Back