"Performs Initial Setup Every Time the Device is Powered On"

amasokin

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hey everyone.

Just got a Garmin 55 today and I get the bug where the "device prompts for your language, locale, and other initial setup questions every time it is powered on " (https://support.garmin.com/en-ZA/?faq=reJ0dZceh02Wf2y40pOID6).
Garmin says that is has been fixed in 3.5.

I updated the dash cam to 4.0 with Garmin Express. Update went well, and in the settings on the cam in the "about" section I can confirm that I have the 4.0 sofware installed.

But I'm still getting this bug, which makes the cam unusable for me.

Any idea?

Thanks!

buggies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got a Garmin 55 today and I get the bug where the "device prompts for your language, locale, and other initial setup questions every time it is powered on " (https://support.garmin.com/en-ZA/?faq=reJ0dZceh02Wf2y40pOID6).
Garmin says that is has been fixed in 3.5.

I updated the dash cam to 4.0 with Garmin Express. Update went well, and in the settings on the cam in the "about" section I can confirm that I have the 4.0 sofware installed.

But I'm still getting this bug, which makes the cam unusable for me.

Thanks!
My wife bought me a 55 Plus (last month) for Christmas. Unboxed and updated it without testing first so I don't know what the original version was. With version 4.00 I get the same fault. The unit has not even been in the car yet.

I contacted Garmin with the details and they replied this morning. They suggest either going back to the retailer or doing it via a Garmin RMA - so will be taking it back tomorrow to see what Halfords have to say.

justbob

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Seasons Greetings

I received my Garmin 55 from BestBuy on-line Dec 20. I initially had the same concern since my unit always prompted me for setup info after I powered it on: few times out of the box, then few times connected to my PC, then a few times connected to my vehicle in my underground parking. However, I saw that I could set its calendar for Auto or Manual so I speculated that it needed a GPS signal to complete the Auto setup. Sure enough, once the unit received a GPS signal it apparently completed the setup since it no longer prompts me -- it's running factory f/w 3.70

Good luck
--Bob

eelis

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Yes, when updating firmware the camera continues the updating process when you connect it to car. The GPS signal can be the cause.
(running firmware version 4.00)

-eelis-

buggies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks both for the replies. I completed the updating in the house using the car cigar lighter cable and 12 volt supply but still not remembering my language etc. I placed the camera by a window and left it for a while until it showed some signal strength bars and carried out a factory reset. After that it has retained the settings and performed normally when I fitted it to the car.
I really think that Garmin should have made a note about GPS being /required/ in order to retain settings and will be letting them know tomorrow.

sludgeguts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius x3, G1W held as spare.
How hard is it to put a section at the end of the instruction book... "known issues" 'Some users have reported issues whereby...'