"Performs Initial Setup Every Time the Device is Powered On"

amasokin

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hey everyone.

Just got a Garmin 55 today and I get the bug where the "device prompts for your language, locale, and other initial setup questions every time it is powered on " (https://support.garmin.com/en-ZA/?faq=reJ0dZceh02Wf2y40pOID6).
Garmin says that is has been fixed in 3.5.

I updated the dash cam to 4.0 with Garmin Express. Update went well, and in the settings on the cam in the "about" section I can confirm that I have the 4.0 sofware installed.

But I'm still getting this bug, which makes the cam unusable for me.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Just got a Garmin 55 today and I get the bug where the "device prompts for your language, locale, and other initial setup questions every time it is powered on " (https://support.garmin.com/en-ZA/?faq=reJ0dZceh02Wf2y40pOID6).
Garmin says that is has been fixed in 3.5.

I updated the dash cam to 4.0 with Garmin Express. Update went well, and in the settings on the cam in the "about" section I can confirm that I have the 4.0 sofware installed.

But I'm still getting this bug, which makes the cam unusable for me.

Thanks!

My wife bought me a 55 Plus (last month) for Christmas. Unboxed and updated it without testing first so I don't know what the original version was. With version 4.00 I get the same fault. The unit has not even been in the car yet.

I contacted Garmin with the details and they replied this morning. They suggest either going back to the retailer or doing it via a Garmin RMA - so will be taking it back tomorrow to see what Halfords have to say.

Seasons Greetings

I received my Garmin 55 from BestBuy on-line Dec 20. I initially had the same concern since my unit always prompted me for setup info after I powered it on: few times out of the box, then few times connected to my PC, then a few times connected to my vehicle in my underground parking. However, I saw that I could set its calendar for Auto or Manual so I speculated that it needed a GPS signal to complete the Auto setup. Sure enough, once the unit received a GPS signal it apparently completed the setup since it no longer prompts me -- it's running factory f/w 3.70

Good luck
--Bob

Yes, when updating firmware the camera continues the updating process when you connect it to car. The GPS signal can be the cause.
(running firmware version 4.00)

-eelis-

Thanks both for the replies. I completed the updating in the house using the car cigar lighter cable and 12 volt supply but still not remembering my language etc. I placed the camera by a window and left it for a while until it showed some signal strength bars and carried out a factory reset. After that it has retained the settings and performed normally when I fitted it to the car.
I really think that Garmin should have made a note about GPS being /required/ in order to retain settings and will be letting them know tomorrow.

How hard is it to put a section at the end of the instruction book... "known issues" 'Some users have reported issues whereby...'

im using 66W on v3.8 and still doing it.... what to do ?

Leave it on where it can get a clear view of the sky. It needs GPS for initial setup (to set clock, time zone...)

I have four 56 cameras. Had the same issue. Found out once the camera gets full signal strength the problem is solved.

Garmin should make this clear when setting up the camera first time in the manual. It really is not good enough. I would not be surprised if cameras have been returned for this easily avoidable issue.

I ended up plugging the cameras into a drill battery USB adaptor and standing outside. An overcast day is harder to get a signal. But all working in the end.

lol yes i agree, i was digging through the trash trying to find the box thinking i need to return it.

Hi all. Been struggling with this issue . Dashcam 56 just updated to latest firmware and this issue doesn't go. Ask initial setup each time it powers on. I tried all you said but maybe was not clear. How do I do factory reset ? I only found out the reset option in the menu but this doesn't work. I let it outside with a power on for one hour and tried another initial setup this things just refuses to work properly . Bad. Maybe I'll change Garmin with something else. What's the best buy for my money ? Around 150 USD or 200 USD

1. Connect the camera to a portable USB battery.

2. Stand in a position outside clear of buildings & overhead power lines.

3. On a clear day to get good satellite signal

4. Set up camera location.

5. Hold camera up until you get the full signal strength. 4 bars from memory. But it NEEDS full signal strength.

I now have six 56 cameras & had to do the same for the additional two cameras. So a 6 out of 6 BS set up procedure!

Thank you. Sorry for my question but to start initial setup how do I know I have the full bars as I am with the first screen only

Or I do initial setup once get the full bar and then I restart the setup ?

Do I use the phone for the setup or I do all with the camera itself ?

I didn't get point 4

Set up is entirely in the camera.

Re point 4: Set up like you have already done & put in your location for example I'm in Sydney & then wait till you get the full bars shown at the top of the screen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Dash Cam 55 3
Back