Perhaps I am being naive

GrahamB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m new to dashcams and my partner got me a nextbase 612gw for Christmas. Perhaps naively I thought it would record continuously when switched on but aparantly will only record 1, 2 or 3 minute videos and then stop recording. So I keep having to tap the screen to start recording again. Sod’s law states it will miss something important when in the off time and it’s surely not safe to keep reaching over to restart recording while driving. Also if rear facing, how would you be able to restart it anyway?
Hopefully someone will have the answer and tell me I’m an idiot! Thanks in advance

have you checked the recordings?

they record continuously and break files into segments, the screen saver will kick in and turn the screen off

if it's not working as intended and you've been fiddling with it try resetting it to default settings in the menu and go from there

Are you testing it in the house before fitting it to the car? I don't know how the 612gw works. Do you have motion detection or parking mode turned on? If the camera is sitting stationary indoors it might think you are parked and go to parking mode, waiting to detect motion or an impact (like you tapping on the screen) to wake it up again.

Never mind checking the recordings, but have you checked or read your device instruction MANUAL to learn how it works & how to adjust settings? Recording times are are set on the device of various user chosen lengths, though it comes with a default setting. Keep a copy of the user instruction manual on your smartphone & or computer for reference.

As well, the manufacturer often has videos & users post review or how to videos on Youtube for many devices. YouTube is a great place to learn how these things work. The Manufacturer website also has areas to email them for support if your device is not functioning properly & or some have user support forums where you can ask other users for information or, better yet, search the forums first to see if your question has already been asked and answered. The manufacturer website also has support, return & warranty info, should your device be defective.

Thanks for your responses. I have only tried it in my car, with and without parking mode on. Records for a minute then screen reverts to showing just speed. BUT what I haven’t checked is what has been recording as jokiin has suggested so perhaps screen reverts to speedo but carries on recording? I will check tomorrow.

so perhaps screen reverts to speedo but carries on recording? I will check tomorrow.

that's what will be happening, in most places the display on while driving is not legal so the screen saver is needed, if it shows the speed that is permissible as it is classified as a driving aid in that case, possibly still distracting depending on where it is mounted

Never mind checking the recordings, but have you checked or read your device instruction MANUAL to learn how it works & how to adjust settings? Recording times are are set on the device of various user chosen lengths, though it comes with a default setting. Keep a copy of the user instruction manual on your smartphone & or computer for reference.

As well, the manufacturer often has videos & users post review or how to videos on Youtube for many devices. YouTube is a great place to learn how these things work. The Manufacturer website also has areas to email them for support if your device is not functioning properly & or some have user support forums where you can ask other users for information or, better yet, search the forums first to see if your question has already been asked and answered. The manufacturer website also has support, return & warranty info, should your device be defective.
Yes I have read the manual. Default setting is 1 minute but can be set to 2 or 3 minutes and no mention of any longer but perhaps it carries on recording in say 1 minute segments even though screen is showing speedo. I will do more tests tomorrow, many thanks for help.

If set up correctly, the screensaver should kick in as you have described. And @jokiin is right, here in the UK we are not allowed to have a screen showing a live video of the road in front, despite so many cheap dashcams being sold that by default have a continuous display.

Yes I have read the manual. Default setting is 1 minute but can be set to 2 or 3 minutes and no mention of any longer but perhaps it carries on recording in say 1 minute segments even though screen is showing speedo. I will do more tests tomorrow, many thanks for help.
Yes, it will continue recording when the screensaver is on. That's how it is supposed to work.

Back