Permanent Live or not ?

RockyRay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I am a total novice to dash cams as never had one before so not sure what they can/cannot do so any help would be appreciated.
Background - I am a milkman using a van through the night and very often stop and start turning the ignition off, so often parked at side of road for a few minutes
while I deliver.
Looking at getting a Nextbase Dash cam and hard wiring to fuse box ( this I know how to do) but I want it to record while I'm parked up as well as when driving...Is this possible
with ignition off, guessing a permanent live ? It'll be basically recording 24/7 then won't it ?? So guess it will drain battery very quickly.
What can I do, can it be wired to something else ? Is there settings that allow a Dash cam to continue to record after switch off for 2/3 mins then start back up properly
when ignition is turned on.

Any help to this novice would be very helpful
Thank you

Welcome to the forum RockyRay.

Hard wired for parking guard the camera will record when parked too, the handover between regular recording ( driving ) and parking guard mode is only 10 seconds or so, but how it end vary between the brands of cameras.
The SG and Viofo cameras i have, there is a build in times which i use set to 1 hour ( can go as high as 24 hours on SG and 48 hours on viofo ), so after 1 hour of being parked parking guard stop, this is fine for me cover all my shopping and at home i have CCTV on my car, so no need to have the car sitting parked filming itself getting filmed by my CCTV.
And with just 1 hour i dont have to be nervous about my battery, on most days i just have 1 stop where the timer run out, on other days this might happen 2 - 3 times.
Other brands just change to parking guard and keep going until the low voltage setting is reached, and that is also fine if you need coverage on your car the 8 hours while you work, and more hours at home while you are there / sleep.
Of course what battery charge you loose during parking guard, you have to replenish during driving, you can not expect to get 23 hours parking guard and only drive 1 hour a day.

But going in and out of parking guard, that is so to say handled by the key of your car, start it and it record regular, stop it and it change "instant" to parking mode.

Thank you Kamkar appreciate your time and knowledge, thanks

Welcome to DCT @RockyRay :)

If you have questions regards a particular cam, better to ask in the specific forum- Nextbase is HERE. For the use you intend, I'd recommend just using a standard 'ciggie lighter' type PS leaving it plugged in from start to end of your route. This will give you constant recording so nothing is missed. One thing to be aware of is that a lot of today's vehicles ciggie/power sockets turn off with the key, and some turn off after a specific time delay (usually at least 5 minutes but varies). Some are always powered on.

In the scenario you explained there's not real advantage to having any parking mode involved; were you parking for hours instead of a few minutes at a time that would be different.

Phil

Welcome to DCT @RockyRay :)

If you have questions regards a particular cam, better to ask in the specific forum- Nextbase is HERE. For the use you intend, I'd recommend just using a standard 'ciggie lighter' type PS leaving it plugged in from start to end of your route. This will give you constant recording so nothing is missed. One thing to be aware of is that a lot of today's vehicles ciggie/power sockets turn off with the key, and some turn off after a specific time delay (usually at least 5 minutes but varies). Some are always powered on.

In the scenario you explained there's not real advantage to having any parking mode involved; were you parking for hours instead of a few minutes at a time that would be different.

Phil
Cheers Phil, duly noted. Appreciate your reply

Back