Personal hotspot auto connect

my unit is the f800 pro and is still not auto connecting to my iphones hotspot :(:(:(

Perhaps other iPhone users can chime if theirs is working because this user facing cloud issue could also be using iPhone.

ive checked all my setting on my iphone 6s and all are set right:(:(:(

Can you explain the process in how to manually add an specific SSID to the Thinkware? I don’t seem to find this option under hotspot connection. I have a hotspot unit that’s always on in my car and I would like to have the camera always connected to this. Thanks
Edwin, have you been successful in connecting to your car hotspot? Does the Pro auto connect to it after you've set it up?

The hotspot settings to manually add an SSID is only available while connecting to the smartphone's hotspot under connection settings > hotspot settings. If you are connected in wifi mode, the hotspot setting is greyed out.

Edwin, have you been successful in connecting to your car hotspot? Does the Pro auto connect to it after you've set it up?

The hotspot settings to manually add an SSID is only available while connecting to the smartphone's hotspot under connection settings > hotspot settings. If you are connected in wifi mode, the hotspot setting is greyed out.
Hello Peter, no I have not been able to to connect to my car’s hotspot yet. I went to the hotspot’s settings to add the SSID for it but when it tries to connect to it. It doesn’t find it. It says the hotspot was not found. I’m gonna and use a diffent setting on my hotspot maybe it doesn’t accept 5G signal. I’m gonna try 2G and see if that helps. I will keep you guys updated. And as to auto connect I have not been successful to have camera auto inner via hotspot only via WiFi, which I don’t want. I believe it has to do with iPhones. I have iPhone X and I think that iPhones D/C the hotspot after some time. Which prevents the camera from auto connecting. Meaning the iPhone only allows for hotspot connection while you’re in settings/hotspot. Once you exit it doesn’t allow new connections. It will only keep the existing connections and once it disconnects it doesn’t let it connect again. I wonder if Apple does this for security purpose? Anyone?!

I think you meant the dashcam might not connect to 5Ghz only 2.4Ghz.

Did you remember to disconnect your iPhone's hotspot so that the dashcam tries to connect to the your car's hotspot instead of the iPhone's? I guess it doesn't matter since you said iPhone couldn't keep the hotspot once you exit the screen so it is likely you have done so. But that is weird behaviour on it's own as it defeats the purpose of having hotspot feature. I'm an Android user. If I get a chance to try if the hotspot can be kept on leaving the screen on my wife's iPhone 6s I'll report back. On a side note, seeing that iOS version of the app is only at version 1 while Android's is already version 4, the iOS version might just not be as robust yet.

I live in an apartment. I've not been able to connect to my home dual band wifi either except for the one time which I thought I did before the firmware and app update. Maybe I had forgotten to disconnect my smartphone's hotspot and thus mistaken it connected to my home wifi instead.

After the updates, I have since tried from a different location with stronger signals where I could get my phone connected to my home wifi. However, I could not get the dashcam connected to it again from the same location but it did once prompted to check for correct password though I am pretty sure I got it right. I even rekeyed my password just to be sure but did not receive such prompt again nor could get it to connect. So perhaps as you said it could be 5Ghz vs 2.4Ghz compatibility with the dashcam or for my case since 2.4Ghz has longer range but simply still too far for a dashcam inside a car as the closest I could get is from my multi storey carpark just opposite my apartment or just below it.

However, I'm not in a hurry to get a hotspot set up in my car until parking mode incident notification is available.

I think you meant the dashcam might not connect to 5Ghz only 2.4Ghz.

Did you remember to disconnect your iPhone's hotspot so that the dashcam tries to connect to the your car's hotspot instead of the iPhone's? I guess it doesn't matter since you said iPhone couldn't keep the hotspot once you exit the screen so it is likely you have done so. But that is weird behaviour on it's own as it defeats the purpose of having hotspot feature. I'm an Android user. If I get a chance to try if the hotspot can be kept on leaving the screen on my wife's iPhone 6s I'll report back. On a side note, seeing that iOS version of the app is only at version 1 while Android's is already version 4, the iOS version might just not be as robust yet.

I live in an apartment. I've not been able to connect to my home dual band wifi either except for the one time which I thought I did before the firmware and app update. Maybe I had forgotten to disconnect my smartphone's hotspot and thus mistaken it connected to my home wifi instead.

After the updates, I have since tried from a different location with stronger signals where I could get my phone connected to my home wifi. However, I could not get the dashcam connected to it again from the same location but it did once prompted to check for correct password though I am pretty sure I got it right. I even rekeyed my password just to be sure but did not receive such prompt again nor could get it to connect. So perhaps as you said it could be 5Ghz vs 2.4Ghz compatibility with the dashcam or for my case since 2.4Ghz has longer range but simply still too far for a dashcam inside a car as the closest I could get is from my multi storey carpark just opposite my apartment or just below it.

However, I'm not in a hurry to get a hotspot set up in my car until parking mode incident notification is available.

Yes sorry that’s what I meant, 5Ghz vs 2.4Ghz. So good news and bad news. The good news is that our cameras can connect to hotspot internet by manually inputting the SSID. The bad news is that it only supports 2.4Ghz. The good news is that once set up it will then connect automatically everytime. The bad news is that it will disconnect once the car goes into parking mode ‍♂️ That defeats the whole purpose of staying conected and sending us notifications. Thinkware needs to get things straight. I GOT MORE GOOD NEWS FOR ALL OF US WITH APPLE PRODUCTS LIKE IPHONES. Once with set up hotspot by following Thinkware’s video on how to set up hotspot for the first time. Then you can enter the app, go to conettions settings, hotspot settings, then add your device’s hotspot that you want the camera to connect automatically (IPHONE,iPad,etc). (THIS IS IMPORTANT) add even tho it shows that it is connected!!! To add you hit the + tap on the righ top corner. Then you add the SSID name exactly as it display on your phone. Then you add the password exactly as it is set up on your phones hotspot. Then you click DONE, then you have to hit SAVE. The apps won’t do anything once you hit save. But it will enable auto connect on our iPhones. Once you hit save you can hit the arrow to go back to the main menu. THAT’S IT! You’re done. Go and test it... enjoy

Since some people might need images, here it’s some pictures.
1. Make sure your dash cam has been set up for the first time as HOTSPOT; Should say “dash cam is connected via hotspot” at the lower part of the app.
2. Click on connection settings.
9939B52B-C942-4833-9F9E-5EBAD23A5FCF.jpeg
3. Click on Hotspot settings.
78018E1B-B2E9-442F-8822-17892B005688.jpeg
4. Note the name of your device, mine is named “iphone X”
5. Click on the + tap on the top right.
695C5D7B-E82C-4CAA-BFDB-10E5278AB203.jpeg
6. Add the hotspot of the device you want to connect automatically.
For my phone I used my exact hot spot name and password.
For my car’s hot spot I had to change my hotspots settings to 2.4Ghz since 5Ghz is not supported.
95A90AD2-3236-4E10-8CF0-ED2652E624BE.jpeg
7. Once you have entered SSID and password click on Done and then click on SAVE. It will give you a quick loop and then it would act as nothing happen. This is because your phone is already connected. But the important part is that it has been saved in the camera.
Next time you turn your car on the Dashcam will connect automatically. This is as long as you maintain hotspot on. In your phone. Enjoy

I believe or at least hope the wifi is intentionally turned off until newer firmware and app support parking incident notification, remote download of files and live view. The gps is also currently turned off in parking mode but that is still ok because at least there will be a last known location before "going dark" like Jack Bauer in 24 :D.

It's exactly the same to add SSID for Android. However, my smartphone's hotspot that is used to connect to configure the dashcam is already in the list in my case.

I believe or at least hope the wifi is intentionally turned off until newer firmware and app support parking incident notification, remote download of files and live view. The gps is also currently turned off in parking mode but that is still ok because at least there will be a last known location before "going dark" like Jack Bauer in 24 :D.

It's exactly the same to add SSID for Android. However, my smartphone's hotspot that is used to connect to configure the dashcam is already in the list in my case.
Yes I also think that it has been turned off for now. Can’t wait for them to enable it. Lol
Yes mine was in the list as well but for some odd reason or maybe something with Apple that it didn’t automatically save the info. So when I manually added it again and saved it, it didn’t do much like it did when I added my car’s hotspot. However it did save my phone’s info because once I turn the car off and turned it back on, it connected automatically.

Yes I also think that it has been turned off for now. Can’t wait for them to enable it. Lol
Yes mine was in the list as well but for some odd reason or maybe something with Apple that it didn’t automatically save the info. So when I manually added it again and saved it, it didn’t do much like it did when I added my car’s hotspot. However it did save my phone’s info because once I turn the car off and turned it back on, it connected automatically.
This last bit of info may be just what Skoda needs.

Edwin so now that you have set the dashcam to auto connect to your car's hotspot, which option do you chose in the app to connect to the dashcam with your phone also connected to your car's hotspot?

What if your phone is on a separate network? Is there an option to connect to the dashcam (of course with the dashcam running as wifi is switched off in parking mode for now)?

Is it not possible either way for now or when the app is started, it'll show the dashcam is connected? If it's accessible either way, are you able to access all the features and settings?

Otherwise, at this point that should be all it can do until Thinkware releases further info and updates.

Edwin so now that you have set the dashcam to auto connect to your car's hotspot, which option do you chose in the app to connect to the dashcam with your phone also connected to your car's hotspot?

What if your phone is on a separate network? Is there an option to connect to the dashcam (of course with the dashcam running as wifi is switched off in parking mode for now)?

Is it not possible either way for now or when the app is started, it'll show the dashcam is connected? If it's accessible either way, are you able to access all the features and settings?

Otherwise, at this point that should be all it can do until Thinkware releases further info and updates.
I’ve had five updates in a space of a week and still won’t automatically connect

I chose to have the dashcam connect to my car’s hotspot. This way I get notifications to the app that my car has been moved from the Geospot area. I’m not sure how the camera is able to push this notifications to my phone but it does it when connected to my hotspot. Unfortunately I can’t connect to the app if the dashcam is connected to my car’s hotspot. Lame! I guess maybe once the enable cloud this would be possible. My gues is that a cloud service or sever would need to be up to route the information from the camera to the cloud and then to our phones. I am suspecting a service fee if this is the case. Unless there is a way to remote connect to the Mac adrress of the camera via the app while in a different network. Sounds complicated but possible. Anyways, as of now there is no way to connect with the camera with the app if the dashcam is already connected via hotspot from car, home, etc. Ehat are your inputs on this?

I’ve had five updates in a space of a week and still won’t automatically connect
Five updates!!!???

I read in the other thread you wrote there is a new firmware today but as far as I'm aware, the last update was v1.01.01 on 2017-11-08.

Did you mean the ios version of the app? If so, I will not be aware as I'm an Android user but it is a good thing isn't it? Being ios version of the app is still only at v1.x, at least you know they are actively working on it if there are frequent updates. Android's app is already v4.x while ios is only v1.x. This could mean they started the development earlier on Android so naturally, ios version has come catchup to do. For other app, it can go the other way if the developer started with ios first.

Depending on which side of the camp you're on and there is no right camp, some would like to have an early look of new features while fully understanding that there will be limitation and bugs, while some perhaps like yourself would prefer that it is launched only when features are complete and bugs are ironed out. Granted Thinkware could have provided more info and communication when they chose to go with current route of releasing bit by bit to avoid all the unnecessary confusion and inconvenient to users.

Apart from that, for your auto connection failure, is there an option for you to drive to your Thinkware dealer to have them sort it out since you said you've tried and exhausted all recommendation?

Otherwise, I would think you might get better traction writing to their support email as I'm not sure if Thinkware has direct representative here being new here myself.

Also, just to make you feel better, you are not missing out much as the current cloud features is limited and the app appears to only work when the dashcam is not in parking mode and that you must still be connected directly to the dashcam.

PS. It's not so nice to go on other pple thread or open multiple threads on the same issue to rant even though we all can understand you are very frustrated at this point.

I chose to have the dashcam connect to my car’s hotspot. This way I get notifications to the app that my car has been moved from the Geospot area. I’m not sure how the camera is able to push this notifications to my phone but it does it when connected to my hotspot. Unfortunately I can’t connect to the app if the dashcam is connected to my car’s hotspot. Lame! I guess maybe once the enable cloud this would be possible. My gues is that a cloud service or sever would need to be up to route the information from the camera to the cloud and then to our phones. I am suspecting a service fee if this is the case. Unless there is a way to remote connect to the Mac adrress of the camera via the app while in a different network. Sounds complicated but possible. Anyways, as of now there is no way to connect with the camera with the app if the dashcam is already connected via hotspot from car, home, etc. Ehat are your inputs on this?
Thanks for the update. I cannot test further for now as I no longer have a subscription to a separate data plan for a mobile hotspot. I think it can work with or without a server depending on the features available and required. For features that require a server, I hope there will be no service fee!

Thanks for the update. I cannot test further for now as I no longer have a subscription to a separate data plan for a mobile hotspot. I think it can work with or without a server depending on the features available and required. For features that require a server, I hope there will be no service fee!
I’ll keep us updated. I really like the features available now, definitely better than the completion. I can’t wait for Thinkware to release the cloud’s full features.

I’ll keep us updated. I really like the features available now, definitely better than the completion. I can’t wait for Thinkware to release the cloud’s full features.
i have done all this in the utube vidieo's

Ok just a quick question
My proxy on my iPhone was switched off. If I set this to automatic dose anyone think that would solve the problem with
My hotspot automatically connecting

Back