Photographer records frightening face-to-face road-rage confrontation

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
http://kdvr.com/2016/07/13/photographer-records-frightening-face-to-face-road-rage-confrontation/
RAMONA, Calif. -- A photographer was doing an automotive shoot on Saturday near the California town of Ramona when he found himself in the middle of a frightening road-rage incident.

Alex Stone and his crew had just started to record when a 52-year-old man drove up and accused them of being on a "private road," according to a post on his Facebook page.

When Stone tried to explain that it was a public road, the man became enraged and started yelling obscenities. On the video, Stone can be heard trying to calm the down the man and explain that he was not blocking traffic.

But the driver of the truck insisted that Stone was on his driveway and grew increasingly agitated, the video shows. According to Stone, the man then attempted to use his truck as a weapon.

"I turn around and he's busting a U-turn coming at me with his truck. ... I had to jump out of the way," Stone told KTLA. "I've never really been that scared."

The man then got out of the truck and went after Stone's crew, the video shows.

Warning: Video contains explicit language

"I had to physically hold him back," Stone said. "Sir, sir, don't do this."

At the end of the video, the man can be seen knocking Stone's phone out of his hand.

The man, later identified as Mark Dwayne Gordon, was arrested Sunday and booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, battery and vandalism, San Diego County Sheriff’s Department Sgt. Rob Samuels told KSWB.

Thats one angry man, the judge should force him to take some classes where he can get in touch with his soft female side.

Why am I thinking they didn't have the required permits to be blocking a public road, and filming? (Not that the moron in the excursion is in the right.)

ford excursion driver is lucky cameraman wasn't packing heat. intentionally driving directly at a person even when they're trying to get out of the way (and making a U-turn to try doing it again!) is unmistakably a threat to life and limb and justifies lethal force for self defense. and smashing the phone to destroy evidence? that's just icing on the cake when he gets to court for sentencing.

Why am I thinking they didn't have the required permits to be blocking a public road, and filming? (Not that the moron in the excursion is in the right.)
Indeed. The white car was stopped blocking one side of the road. They may have also been on the guy's land.
Saying "It's not a bit inconvenient Sir" is just a polite way of telling him he should STFU and put up with it. Why should he (especially if they were on his land)?
Too many people act like d-bags then give it the fake polite talk when they want to make somebody who confronts them look like the wrongdoer. I think that's a big part of what happened here, but it escalated.

I'm guessing they selectively edited what they showed the cops.

You can see two other vehicles further down the road, one partially in the road. I wonder if those are the vehicles blocking the driveway? Assuming they all didn't ride there in the Audi?

OK, if the film shooters were doing something illegal, then why the guy in the big truck did not take out his smartphone or whatever, films the video shooting guys and calls the police ...

:rolleyes:

ford excursion driver is lucky cameraman wasn't packing heat. intentionally driving directly at a person even when they're trying to get out of the way (and making a U-turn to try doing it again!) is unmistakably a threat to life and limb and justifies lethal force for self defense. and smashing the phone to destroy evidence? that's just icing on the cake when he gets to court for sentencing.

It's funny you say that. I was just watching the video with my wife (before reading any comments) and I asked her, "what do you think would have happened to the driver had the cameraman been a cop?" Just goes to show, even when a 'suspect' refuses to calm down, it is possible de-escalate the situation without immediately opening fire on someone. Wish more cops would handle things this way.

Who's at fault aside but looks like those who have camera think they are right because they have video and don't back off from heated argument and escalate situation. :D

It's funny you say that. I was just watching the video with my wife (before reading any comments) and I asked her, "what do you think would have happened to the driver had the cameraman been a cop?"

Maybe the camera was black? OMG, 'black cameras matter!'
:)

Maybe the camera was like the US ambassador to Denmark ( got married to his boyfriend here )

Serious i think Rufus is a cool guy, i would shake his hand if i got to meet him :cool:

As I understand it they were shooting pics and video of an Audi so they probably did not climb over the fence onto his property. It does look like some were haphazardly parked with a couple cars somewhat on the road, but, unless I'm incorrect, this did not appear to be a busy road during rush hour.

Also, the irate man kept babbling about them being on his driveway and not his land so that further calls into question the idea they had jumped the fence and were on his property. You will notice the prominently placed signs saying "No Trespassing" so if they had jumped the fence the irate man would have made an issue of that.

The bottom line is a large man in a large vehicle used that vehicle in a threatening way and latter physically assaulted one of the photogs -- it is for those reasons he was arrested. I'm dumbfounded by those here that seem to think the photogs had it coming.

Brian

Thats one angry man, the judge should force him to take some classes where he can get in touch with his soft female side.

He just need a pillow to hit.

Shame the pillow in prison isn't much.

He's probably just a jerk. :)

If the photographer was illegally parked they're both jerks; it's just that one is more polite than the other :p The judicial system usually fails to end bad behavior in jerks, but a properly handled Louisville Slugger works wonders in re-educating them :rolleyes:

Phil

If the photographer was illegally parked they're both jerks; it's just that one is more polite than the other :p The judicial system usually fails to end bad behavior in jerks, but a properly handled Louisville Slugger works wonders in re-educating them :rolleyes:

Phil

Yeah, the irate driver of the SUV was using your rules and look where it got him. The photogs may have parked there cars a bit messily and that's not good but I did not see any "No Parking" signs just the signs on the fence saying "No Trespassing" so there wasn't anything about the photogs actions that I saw that warranted the assault there received.

A 7000 pound SUV trumps a baseball bat any day but was used like he was carrying a baseball bat. Correcting someone with a baseball bat could put you in prison for life!

Brian

Yeah, the irate driver of the SUV was using your rules and look where it got him. The photogs may have parked there cars a bit messily and that's not good but I did not see any "No Parking" signs just the signs on the fence saying "No Trespassing" so there wasn't anything about the photogs actions that I saw that warranted the assault there received.

A 7000 pound SUV trumps a baseball bat any day but was used like he was carrying a baseball bat. Correcting someone with a baseball bat could put you in prison for life!

Brian

My "rules"? I didn't state anything like a rule. And you also didn't read the first word of my post:"If". That word has significance to everything which follows it. Nor did I imply that a ball bat compares to a SUV- only that jerks learn better behavior rather quickly when it's used on them :p If you're going to directly respond to someone's posts you should read them more carefully lest you become seen by the masses as a jerk yourself.

Phil

My "rules"? I didn't state anything like a rule. And you also didn't read the first word of my post:"If". That word has significance to everything which follows it. Nor did I imply that a ball bat compares to a SUV- only that jerks learn better behavior rather quickly when it's used on them :p If you're going to directly respond to someone's posts you should read them more carefully lest you become seen by the masses as a jerk yourself.

Phil

You said "If the photographer was illegally parked they're both jerks" and then added "The judicial system usually fails to end bad behavior in jerks, but a properly handled Louisville Slugger works wonders in re-educating them". Nope, I did not misread your post at all.

I'll repeat ... if you take a baseball bat out to straighten someone out, even if you do not use it, you could be in for big trouble and that is a fact! You and the irate driver need to get a room!

Brian

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dash riposki Off Topic 7
Back