Photosync window tint and CPL filter

dsm363

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone seen a problem with the CPL filter and (I believe it's ceramic window tint) Photosync with this effect? I've cleaned the windshield and the filter is clean. Thanks.

Attachments

• PastedGraphic-4.jpg
    PastedGraphic-4.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 44
the only time I've seen that effect before is when someone left the plastic film on the CPL filter, can't say I've seen it from tint film, tinted front window is not something we come across too often though

Is the tint film polarised? If so that's the problem- you can polarize only once ;)

Phil

I have ceramic tint on my back window, where my GC is, never had that issue.

maybe the different angle.

Did you figure it out? I'm getting the same on my F350 since I got the windshield tinted. I figure I could take the CPL out but want to be sure.

tint.jpg

Did you figure it out? I'm getting the same on my F350 since I got the windshield tinted. I figure I could take the CPL out but want to be sure.

View attachment 40030

THIS LINK will explain why you are seeing rainbows on your windshield. It's called Birefringence and is caused by the tempering process during manufacture of the windshield. This causes random polarization which would ordinarily be invisible but your camera CPL "double polarizes" the light, thus making rainbows. Removing the CPL will eliminate the problem. A good dash mat can be very effective at eliminating the glare in lieu of a CPL.

THIS LINK will explain why you are seeing rainbows on your windshield. It's called Birefringence and is caused by the tempering process during manufacture of the windshield. This causes random polarization which would ordinarily be invisible but your camera CPL "double polarizes" the light, thus making rainbows. Removing the CPL will eliminate the problem. A good dash mat can be very effective at eliminating the glare in lieu of a CPL.

we've had this come up a couple of times since the first post due to people that had a UV film on the front window, not sure what the properties are of the film used, quite often the film is clear, we also found that the film is often not optically stable and can get a hazy appearance when it gets hot, some choose to put up with it, some look at alternatives

we've had this come up a couple of times since the first post due to people that had a UV film on the front window, not sure what the properties are of the film used, quite often the film is clear, we also found that the film is often not optically stable and can get a hazy appearance when it gets hot, some choose to put up with it, some look at alternatives

Whether it is window tint or tempered glass, the same phenomenon is occurring. Basically, it is a polarizer (CPL) seeing another polarized surface, each aligned perpendicular to one another. The article I linked to explains it pretty well.

Whether it is window tint or tempered glass, the same phenomenon is occurring. Basically, it is a polarizer (CPL) seeing another polarized surface, each aligned perpendicular to one another. The article I linked to explains it pretty well.

yes it can happen just in the window, as @LOCOLAPTOP mentioned it is happening since he got his windshield tinted it was worth mentioning that the tint film can also cause this problem, I haven't had any feedback from end users of this problem with the CPL that haven't had film on the window, I know it can happen though, I used to have a car that I couldn't drive while wearing polarsied sunglasses as the rainbow effect from the laminated window was so distracting

I have clear heat rejection film and experience the same thing. It doesn’t really bother me, though.

I have clear heat rejection film and experience the same thing. It doesn’t really bother me, though.
Exactly what I have. First noticed it with my sunglasses, took them off and it's gone. Took the CPL off this morning, going to check later to see if it's gone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wozzzzza SG9665GC 35
flip9 SG9665GC 2
Dan Robinson SG9665GC 5
Back