Pickup truck uses door to block drivers from using shoulder.

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
There was a fatal accident yesterday on the major freeway that goes thru the Toronto Area. A truck hit a stopped truck with paint and paint thinner and caught on fire. Eastbound traffic was closed and the westbound "Express" was closed to the fire chemicals that leaked there.

I drove in the "collectors" when hearing about express that I realized 4 lanes would have to filter into one.

Here is where the express is blocked off and traffic is forced onto the collector interchange. Some cars resorted to driving on the shoulder and a pickup truck used his door to block them progressing. Note the car and pickup truck under the Avenue road/Keele sign.

Pretty colorful language going outside my Rav despite being in a different set of lanes. I had to remove that as at the same time there was a conversation going inside.

Here is video as I approach. Notice what is left of the flatbed truck

New clips of the same accident ..

Last edited:
I completely missed what was going on to the left because I expected the guy in the lifted white Ford truck with trailer to be the jackass. But then he didn't do anything.

I've blocked the shoulder in traffic before myself, but I didn't open my door; I just moved my whole car over and kept pace with the traffic to make it very obvious that I was making them wait just like the rest of us have to wait. It's really funny watching then lose their mind in my mirrors. :D

I extracted the clip from my videos while at work using FFMpeg. I have a 'nix box, I actually used that, but I didn't want to take the time use kdenlive given where I was and also trying to merge the dozens of tracks before and after that, but at 60 times speed. Seems regular speed clips and sped up clips don't work with ffmpegs merge file command. I uploaded at home but still didn't want to take the minute or two to used titles and text with kdenlive

Anyway, if I had edited, there would be the text.

I have blocked shoulder runners and merge lane abusers too, but I would never recommend anyway using doors to achieve what he did. The passenger in the truck didn't appear to be wearing his seat belt. I saw some people get out of their cars before this incident with the doors.

It's a shame and utterly nauseating that some people have to be forced to do the proper thing :( If one cannot or will not behave properly somewhere they should not be allowed to be there ;) Many of the local interstate highway crashes here turn into multi-crash scenes when people act improperly around the original crash, either through 'rubber-necking' or by not allowing other vehicles to merge into the still-open lane(s) :oops: Stuff the rest- your ONLY job while driving is to operate your vehicle safely in cooperation with all the other drivers on the road :cool: This ain't NASCAR :mad:

Phil

uses door to block drivers

You shall not pass !

That was pretty burly, fowl mouth Gandalf I encountered the other day. But he accomplished his goal and no one passed.

Stuff the rest- your ONLY job while driving is to operate your vehicle safely in cooperation with all the other drivers on the road :cool:

Phil
If driving exams were evaluated by the examiner and a psychologist, I believe many people wouldn't pass them even if they did everything right, regarding driving and complying with the road rules and signage.

If driving exams were evaluated by the examiner and a psychologist, I believe many people wouldn't pass them even if they did everything right, regarding driving and complying with the road rules and signage.

They do that for airline pilot candidates so why not here too? And let's do the examiners as well for the same reason ;)

Thinking ability and understanding everything that is going on is at least as important as knowing the rules and being able to perform basic vehicle functions yet we don't test for that. Nor do we test for those who freeze up or panic wildly when suddenly faced with major problems :( We're licensing people who are unfit to drive and seeing the results every time we get on the road with them :eek:

Phil

Years ago I saw a rig similarly consumed by fire. I couldn't believe how little of the truck was left. That reminds me to make sure my new driver son knows to abandon the vehicle and keep distant in the event of fire. Cars are cheap compared to hospital bills and funerals.

...I believe many people wouldn't pass them even if they did everything right, regarding driving and complying with the road rules and signage.
I usually refer to this as having the ability to operate a vehicle but not knowing how to drive - two different skill sets.

Back