Pics that make you smile

I drove the Seney stretch...

Funny because that's where most of the bugs I killed came from.

...I would love to see the Keweenaw peninsula again someday.

Probably my favorite area of the state this time of year (before the snow :eek: ). Last time I was up that way was primarily a 'photo trip'. We drove north and east out of Houghton to Gay then followed the east shoreline up to Lac La Belle then cut across to Copper Harbor. Went north/east from from there until the paved road ended then drove the logging roads until I was afraid there wouldn't be anywhere I could turn around. Then drove back to Houghton down the west shoreline as much as possible. I shot A LOT of film that trip.

Driving up there in late autumn can be a bit nervous as you can drive for an hour and not see another person.

Edit: For those who are unfamiliar this is how they measure ground cover snow in Copper Harbor.

snowgauge.jpg

Last edited:
Google says that place is named "Dafter", which seems appropriate as almost all of the 'Yoopers' I've met so far do seem more than a little daft :ROFLMAO:

Phil
They're not daft, they're 'Yoopers' - in theory there has to be a difference. ;)

i heard those suckers can burn down your car in the worst cases.
Yes, if they get stuck underneath on the catalytic converter. That's because they're just as dry and brittle as kindling. I've seen them rolling just like that in North Texas, between Dallas and the panhandle.

More common is them clogging the grille and restricting air flow to the radiator, causing it to overheat.

Last edited:
Edit: For those who are unfamiliar this is how they measure ground cover snow in Copper Harbor.

I was up there one winter in the 80's and we had 300 inches by Christmas. The picture threw me off a bit because it's hard to see the decimal points. 390.4 inches is 32.5 feet but it looks like the guage shows 3904 inches.

I was up there one winter in the 80's and we had 300 inches by Christmas. The picture threw me off a bit because it's hard to see the decimal points. 390.4 inches is 32.5 feet but it looks like the guage shows 3904 inches.
My family is all from Ludington and I remember going up there for Christmas and the snow piles at the side of the road from the plows were 10-15 feet tall. I have a hard time imagining 30 feet on flat ground - and a much harder time imagining actually experiencing it by being there. :eek:

They say some of the hardest and biggest lessons and reasons for progress for the human beings have come with a massive amount of people dying.

So that's why politics are as it is, cuz there never really been a mass dying of those, i think the nearest thing might be the French revolution that did indeed give us a lot of good things.
But since then ? i cant really think of a situation where politicians / decision makers died en mass, so perhaps its time for a revolution again somewhere.

i heard those suckers can burn down your car in the worst cases.
yes if it gets caught close to the hot oil pan, same as a plastic bag

To keep the kids entertained while traveling. Score a point for each bug splatter identification.
Guide to splattered bugs 5.jpg

Some of you might want to print this and hang it in your workplace.

stress_kit.gif

yes if it gets caught close to the hot oil pan, same as a plastic bag
You can almost put your bare hands on the oil pan in most vehicles after driving them, and you'll only get very mild burns - it will very rarely be over 100c. It might melt those thin plastic bags but isn't nearly hot enough to set them on fire.

The hottest part of any vehicle is always the exhaust system, especially the catalytic converters.

Last edited:
To keep the kids entertained while traveling. Score a point for each bug splatter identification.
View attachment 33287
I remember doing an oil change on a Toyota tundra. On that one, you have to remove the lower skid plate to get to the filter. Normally dirt and some dead bugs, especially dragonflies, will fall on you. Well, when I took off the plate, a dead bird fell on me. It had been there long enough that it had bugs smashed into it as well. Thankfully it didn't stink.

I met a guy on a parking lot some months ago, and i just had to go say hello and WTF

The reason was he had his hood open and all over the engine compartment he had chicken wire, so just had to ask whats up with that ?
And he wold me if he dident have that there he would have cats crawling around in his engine bay.
I myself had a wild ferret or something similar drag what appear to be tin foil once holding a falafel or something, and then it have been eating that or what was within on my car battery.
I was like :eek: when i popped the hood to see all that tin foil around my engine bay.

If this happen again i will get a tin of cat food and camp out in front of my CCTV screen with the airgun, and then dispatch swift death from above ( shooting down at something like a 35 - 40 degree angle )

Aint nobody turning my engine bay into a snack bar. :D

I met a guy on a parking lot some months ago, and i just had to go say hello and WTF

The reason was he had his hood open and all over the engine compartment he had chicken wire, so just had to ask whats up with that ?
And he wold me if he dident have that there he would have cats crawling around in his engine bay.
I myself had a wild ferret or something similar drag what appear to be tin foil once holding a falafel or something, and then it have been eating that or what was within on my car battery.
I was like :eek: when i popped the hood to see all that tin foil around my engine bay.

If this happen again i will get a tin of cat food and camp out in front of my CCTV screen with the airgun, and then dispatch swift death from above ( shooting down at something like a 35 - 40 degree angle )

Aint nobody turning my engine bay into a snack bar. :D

Living out in the countryside I've sometimes found small critters like field mice making nests and hiding stashes of seeds in various places in my engine compartment. I even had a mouse nest inside the cabin air filter housing. The trick for preventing that turned out to be the use of a sheet of clothes dryer fabric softener inserted with the cabin air filter.

In Maine we are always on the lookout for moose and bear when we drive down the road.

21558792_10154734991406536_9059908164135097847_n.jpg

Listening to Pandora... Went to check the song name and noticed the "lyrics" at the bottom. Well, I guess I shouldn't use quote marks because they're actually right. But still...
IMG_20170918_125512~01.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back