Pics that make you smile

Thanks for the thoughts, and I send you the same as you're going to get some of this up there too :eek: We're fine here unless a tree falls on the house; got plenty of them which could but I like trees and their shade so that is just something I live with. Wouldn't want it any other way :cool:

This is a non-typical hurricane, but my best guess is that it will weaken and hit as a low category 4 or mid category 3, and that's still pretty serious. If it hits as a category 5 there will be a major mess with much loss of life, because most of those who have lived through our hurricanes haven't seen a serious one unless they were in the low-state during Hugo. So a lot if them are going to try to ride it out, not understanding that the ride isn't going to be the one they thought it was; instead it will be a ride in a hearse :cry: Like @Gibson99 says, there will be some Darwin awards going out here.

Phil

Thanks for your thoughts too. Practically the entire state of Vermont experienced devastating flooding from Tropical Storm Irene in 2011 and I get nervous every time I see a storm like Florence heading in this direction. Entire towns were cut off from everything for more than a week, roads, electricity, phone. I live on a mountain and the flooding still caused thousands of dollars in damages to my property and the dam on my pond nearly blew out which would not have been too good for my neighbors down below. I'll never forget the sound of the water coming through the spillway exiting the pond. It sounded like a jet plane taking off.

Last edited:
Well now the forecast says the high pressure is going to drive the storm right over me where it's going to stay for awhile :mad: Going to be rather soggy here for awhile but I'll be OK.

Phil

Well now the forecast says the high pressure is going to drive the storm right over me where it's going to stay for awhile :mad: Going to be rather soggy here for awhile but I'll be OK.

Phil
sounds like what harvey did... and tropical storm allison. both basically just parked over houston and dumped for days. allison actually went back out into the gulf and reloaded, then came back in and dumped more rain on us. i was lucky then too - the water only got ankle deep in the parking lot of my apartment, but some people across the street had water up to their windows.

40inches.jpg

With Tropical Storm Irene in 2011 we got far less rain than 40 inches, not even half that much and the entire landlocked state of Vermont, well over 100 miles inland from the Atlantic ocean got decimated.
Major roads and bridges were washed out, and dozens of houses, cars, livestock and even caskets were seen floating down rivers for days. And it was a tropical storm, not a even a hurricane.
Places around here are still not back to normal.
I'm trying to wrap my mind around the destruction that might be caused by 40 inches of rain.

irene3.jpg

irene5.jpg

irene6.jpg

irene1.jpg

irene4.jpg

irene2.jpg

irene7.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw in the regional news, some little town south of my birth town they now got flooded 2 years in the row, so the municipality are holding a meeting.
And those 2 times they had it happen, it was just regional showers, but enough to make the local creek ( well we Danes call it a river ) overflow and then poorly located houses get flooded.
And thats a creek even i with my sorry old ass can jump most places, and the water in it normally run ankle deep.

If i was to build a house it would have to be at least 60 M above sea levels, though thats not a imminent threat, and then here unproblematic, not near any hill sides as we have few features that go over 60 M in hight and the ones we do have are normally situated in areas where you cant build.
And at 60 M altitude here in Denmark you will not find many creeks that could potentially be a problem.

Unrelated i just saw the 10 biggest stones in Denmark have been put on a map, one moved here by the last ice age are still 40 M circumference and weighing in at 1250 tons, and that one are also 2X the size of the #2 on the list.
the #1 stone.
310520114347.jpg

Been listing to a TV program in the background, so i made my first meme.

2ht1dt.jpg

Here's a REAL rock for you Kamkar1
maxresdefault.jpg

Yep, that is all one huge granite "stone" :cool: The greenery you see are trees averaging 7m to 10m in height,

Just for kicks I did some checking. There are flood zones all around me but they are all ~3m lower than my place, and even when they do flood only one of them is more than shoe-deep in water. Florence is still forecast to be in the neighborhood by Saturday and will hang around a few days :( Well, at least the local druggies won't be out on the prowl for something to steal ;)

Phil

hehe yeah thats a mans rock right there.
Our rock should be substantial larger if it was to match our inflated sense of grandeur, but it just is what it is.
I assume it come from Norway or Sweden, though the ice shelter over us have also been moving east to wast so we can also find stones here that belong in Baltic region.
Actually i even think i saw some guy on TV once saying the ice over Denmark even have moved in a south to north direction too.
But no matter what, thank god it did what it did or we would not be here, pretty much what make up Denmark are glacial deposits and what ever have been pushed around under the ice.

I just saw in the regional news, some little town south of my birth town they now got flooded 2 years in the row, so the municipality are holding a meeting.
And those 2 times they had it happen, it was just regional showers, but enough to make the local creek ( well we Danes call it a river ) overflow and then poorly located houses get flooded.
And thats a creek even i with my sorry old ass can jump most places, and the water in it normally run ankle deep.

If i was to build a house it would have to be at least 60 M above sea levels, though thats not a imminent threat, and then here unproblematic, not near any hill sides as we have few features that go over 60 M in hight and the ones we do have are normally situated in areas where you cant build.
And at 60 M altitude here in Denmark you will not find many creeks that could potentially be a problem.

Unrelated i just saw the 10 biggest stones in Denmark have been put on a map, one moved here by the last ice age are still 40 M circumference and weighing in at 1250 tons, and that one are also 2X the size of the #2 on the list.
the #1 stone.
310520114347.jpg

We've got quite a few of those around here too. They're called Glacial Erratics as they are giant rocks left behind when the glaciers receded at the end of the last ice age after they were carried here from thousands of miles away by the ice, as you mentioned.

Here's a buddy of mine in front of one we came across on a local hiking trip.

pete_w_erratic.jpg

Last edited:
yeah a half mile thick sheet of ice can carry some massive stuff around.
But here we cant see the grinding of the ice as we have no bedrock as such if we dont count our little granite slab south os Sweden.

On the bare rock in central park in NYC you can see the wear marks of the ice that was once there.

5.jpg

The micro quakes we Danes some times get, thats our country still rebounding from the pressure of all that ice that covered us.
As i recall there is a spot in the US where its the same, and actually produce some of the strongest quakes in the US, totally not relating to any fault line.

yeah a half mile thick sheet of ice can carry some massive stuff around.
But here we cant see the grinding of the ice as we have no bedrock as such if we dont count our little granite slab south os Sweden.

On the bare rock in central park in NYC you can see the wear marks of the ice that was once there.

5.jpg

The micro quakes we Danes some times get, thats our country still rebounding from the pressure of all that ice that covered us.
As i recall there is a spot in the US where its the same, and actually produce some of the strongest quakes in the US, totally not relating to any fault line.

I've sat on that very rock in Central Park many times. Many moons ago when I was a teenager I attended a school not far from there and we used to cut class and hang out in the park.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back