Picture distortion.

wojzal

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I just purchased a brand new Nextbase 622GW dash cam, and I am having a strange issue with the distortion on the top portion of the screen. The distortion is visible when not driving against the sun, but it disappears when pointing at the sun. I suspect the issue is with the polarizing filter on the camera. I tried to turn it to adjust the picture, but it is still visible. Also, I have a polarized windshield installed in the car (has greenish tint when looking from outside), that could be interfering with the filer on the dash cam. I used to have a 1080p camera without any filters attached, and the picture was always clean and bright. Is it possible to remove the polarizing filter from the 622GW camera? Thank you.

Also, this distortion is visible at at same location on the picture, even if I move the camera.

Attachments

• nextbase622gw-snapshot.jpg
    nextbase622gw-snapshot.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 1
  • nextbase622gw-snapshot-1.jpg
    nextbase622gw-snapshot-1.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 1
  • nextbase622gw-snapshot-2.jpg
    nextbase622gw-snapshot-2.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 1
There's another thread here somewhere, posted by Dashmellow that explains this phenomenon in detail.

Found it :

Last edited:
Hello,
I just purchased a brand new Nextbase 622GW dash cam, and I am having a strange issue with the distortion on the top portion of the screen. The distortion is visible when not driving against the sun, but it disappears when pointing at the sun. I suspect the issue is with the polarizing filter on the camera. I tried to turn it to adjust the picture, but it is still visible. Also, I have a polarized windshield installed in the car (has greenish tint when looking from outside), that could be interfering with the filer on the dash cam. I used to have a 1080p camera without any filters attached, and the picture was always clean and bright. Is it possible to remove the polarizing filter from the 622GW camera? Thank you.

Also, this distortion is visible at at same location on the picture, even if I move the camera.
Hello,

It's likely to be one of two things:
1. Your car has a polarising filter in-built into the windscreen. Removing the camera's filter will resolve this.
2. The camera's filter is not clean. I'd recommend cleaning the inside and outside of the polarising filter with an alcohol wipe.

You can remove the 622GW's polarising filter by twisting the filter off the camera. You may also need to pull the filter off once the thread is fully undone.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Thank you for the replies. I removed the filter from the camera, and the rainbow distortion is gone, and the picture is clearer.

Back