Picture in Picture playback from separate dashcams?

Chode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a feature request to app developers out there: it would be fantastic to be able to have PiP within the same playback screen from two different cameras - some of us are quite happy with the front one and just going to add a rear cam for a time being :rolleyes: ...

Obviously, one would need to manually specify folders for the front and rear cams, but if the software picks the time to run two streams in sync, it would be great.

syncing the videos is the challenge

Yes, I should imagine it would be, particularly with potentially different ways time stamps are handled by front and rear cams ...
A crude solution would be to have separate pause/play controls for the main and secondary frames, but I guess that would complicate interface design, as it is not needed for dual channel cams ... :(

Even with my F70 recording front and rear onto the same card there is often some discrepancy, so when I come to need both files, which, thankfully, is not that often, I sometimes have to play around with the tracks.
When I eventually get my dual mobius system installed, hopefully the way the camera is updated - the gui syncs the time with the web - should mean that both cams display the same time.
For now, though, I just drop both files into PD12 and move one along slightly until they are roughly matched - usually try to leave a very short gap as a car (for example) leaves the view of one cam and enters the view of the other.
I purposely started this clip where I was just passing a lorry on my nearside, a fraction later & it appears in the rear cam.

This is a feature request to app developers out there: it would be fantastic to be able to have PiP within the same playback screen from two different cameras - some of us are quite happy with the front one and just going to add a rear cam for a time being :rolleyes: ...

Obviously, one would need to manually specify folders for the front and rear cams, but if the software picks the time to run two streams in sync, it would be great.

Or more. Kdenlive ( open-source) can automatically synchronize video clips by referencing the audio tracks.

That's it!

http://www.addlime.com/blog/video/kdenlive-multicam-editing-workflow/
audioreference.jpg

An example ( MobiusB infront and G90 pointing at the rear) ...

Back