Picture settings

Andsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the wide angle lens version and my picture quality seems to be on the dark side, and wondered if there is any recommended settings for the picture quality, such as sharpness, exposure, contrast etc, mine is set to all the normal or standard settings, i have set the FOV to narrow but wont know until i have been out.

Perhaps the sky is dominating the exposure in your video, so the road & traffic are underexposed? Rough rule of thumb for dashcam alignment is 40% above horizon, 60% below.

Do you mean point it downwards, mine is pointed straight on and is located same level as rear view mirror.

Do you mean point it downwards, mine is pointed straight on and is located same level as rear view mirror.
Yes, it's normal for Mobius to be aimed downwards a little to get the approximate 60% of recorded image below the horizon, which often improves the overall exposure. For example see ...

Skip to 13mins 50secs.

I have the wide angle lens version and my picture quality seems to be on the dark side, and wondered if there is any recommended settings for the picture quality, such as sharpness, exposure, contrast etc, mine is set to all the normal or standard settings, i have set the FOV to narrow but wont know until i have been out.

Having the same issue. Darkness and the picture isn't as sharp.

All cams self-adjust exposure for changing ambient light conditions, so cam placement and aiming can have a great effect on exposure. I keep my cams aimed downward with the top of the view just 'seeing' the overhead traffic signals across the intersection. Better performance can be had by aiming even lower but this compromise works OK for me overall. I also discovered a vast difference when placing the cam rearward so that it no longer catches direct sun midday, even through the glass tinting. I had to do some custom mounting to achieve this and I also found this occurs with another different cam. It seems best results are usually found when the lens is very close to the windshield or very far from it, but this does not always hold true. Remember this is not a 'premium' cam, just a very good one for the money, so it's not going to give perfect videos but they should be good enough for the purpose dashcams are used for.

Phil

Back