Pink/Magenta Video?

shiffles

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A118C; Mini 0805 (x2); G1W-C
So I just noticed, my videos are being recorded with a pink/magenta tint? Last time I checked, I wasn't in the centre of a nuclear war. I tried running the camera indoors and it seemed to record fine with the proper colours. Could this be a temperature issue? It was -4 Celsius today but the camera ran just fine in -20 Celsius couple weeks ago.

eqe3J73.png

vbKqUoE.png

Also the clock seems to keep resetting.

It appears that the GREEN channel is missing. When this kind of thing happens it is generally a hardware problem usually having something to do with the sensor within the lens module. Occasionally, this can happen if the cable that connects the sensor is not seated properly. From what you say there may be some kind of temperature related expansion/contraction problem that is causing this which also suggests a hardware issue.

Digital cameras like dash cams work on the RGB color model (RED/GREEN/BLUE). If the GREEN channel is missing leaving only the RED & BLUE channels you will get MAGENTA as you can see in the RGB color chart below.

If possible, contact the vendor and ask for a replacement camera.

RGB.png

Last edited:
Looks like temperature is the issue. Has been running fine on my morning commute with all the colours. I guess I'll take the camera off and take it indoors from now on.
Unfortunately, it has been quite a few months since I bought the device and I don't think the warranty is valid (I believe it was 90 days)

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Looks like temperature is the issue. Has been running fine on my morning commute with all the colours. I guess I'll take the camera off and take it indoors from now on.
Unfortunately, it has been quite a few months since I bought the device and I don't think the warranty is valid (I believe it was 90 days)

Thanks for the quick reply :)

You're welcome!

If you are handy, you might consider opening up the camera and taking a look to see if there is anything obvious that might be causing the issue. For example, onetime I had an issue with a camera and when I opened it up I found a swollen battery that was pressing against the other components. After replacing the battery everything was good as new. Sometimes unplugging and re-plugging the multi-pin ribbon cable (after opening & reclosing the locking lever) that many cameras use to connect the lens module and sensor to the PCB will fix a problem like you are experiencing. The mini 0805's lens module is mounted directly to the PCB so I'm not sure if there is a ribbon cable you can actually access on the opposite side of the board but it still may be worth having a look. Chances are that this problem will only get worse eventually so in the end you may have nothing to lose if you carefully open up the camera.

Check the DCT Mini 0805 page and you'll find some basic tear down photos and instructions.

Back