Placing Power Magic Ultra Battery (B-124) in Lexus

Evenstar

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I am wanting to place a Power Magic Ultra Battery (B-124) in my 2017 Lexus NXt200 (SUV). Installer is stumped as to where it can be placed. Claims that there is not enough room under passenger seat. Any ideas?

How about the rear seat?

Our installers usually aim for under the passenger seat.
As long as the B-124 Battery is out of direct sunlight, it shouldn't be an issue.

Stuart @ BlackboxMyCar

Thanks for those suggestions. Think I will go to local Lexus service department tomorrow and ask for their advice.

The problem is this: I bought a Blackvue DR900S-2Ch, Cellink Neo battery battery, etc. without understanding the placement issue. When I took it to one of best installers in my region, he didn't want to have a bar of it ... not the Blackvue, not the battery, nothing I had purchased. :eek: He claimed the battery couldn't be placed anywhere and that the dashcam wasn't really all that good. Instead, he recommended that I get an iROAD TX9 (for which he appears to be the exclusive dealer here) which he claimed was better and had more features than the Blackvue, and hardwire the iROAD directly to the car battery :unsure: So, either I have to work out the issue with another installer or buy the iROAD, install it the way he suggested, and try to flog the gear I already purchased on Ebay or wherever (and be out-of-pocket several hundred dollars). And here, I thought I had done all my homework :mad:.

Last edited:
Huge, yup! Discrete, nope!

Why not just install yourself? Not that hard.

I would seriously question that installer. I highly doubt there isn't a reasonable place to install it. Probably just trying to upsell you on something he offers.

I'm suspecting the motives of that installer ... but he is reputed as being the best in Brisbane (Australia). As far as installing myself is concerned, I think I'd "screw it up" if there was the remotest possibility of getting it wrong.

I'm suspecting the motives of that installer ... but he is reputed as being the best in Brisbane (Australia). As far as installing myself is concerned, I think I'd "screw it up" if there was the remotest possibility of getting it wrong.

try Complete Car Sound in Enoggera if that's not too far, they do nice work

jokiin
Thanks for your suggestion. I believe I have sorted it out ... finally, with another installer who feels he can do it, including the battery. Lexus service definitely recommended using the dashcam battery rather than just the Lexus battery. I was told that it would probably run flat very quickly. He suggested that it could be placed in the trunk "(boot"). (y) All installers don't like the extra work involved in installing a dashcam battery, even though they get paid for the extra work. They all want the "easy". ;) I had left a $200 deposit (on Friday) with the dealer who wanted me to buy the iROAD and he wasn't too happy about refunding it (on Monday) and said that Lexus service didn't know what they were talking about. (He was willing to bet his house against my house to prove his point. Since he probably lives in a "humpy" or in his van, I wasn't willing to accept the wager). Another installer was concerned that because my car has a digital radio, that the window in which the antenna was imbeded would prevent the relevant dashcam to work. Since BlackboxMyCar has a Youtube video on how to install a two channel dashcam on the exact model Lexus I own and since ClubLexus forums doesn't have any complaints on the issue of digital radio interference, I am suspect of his ability also. It seems as though there are lots of "cowboys" out there that are just waiting to take advantage of another sucker. There is such a dearth of information and understanding about dashcams that it seems like a minefield for the uninitiated (like myself). o_O If the installer I picked screws it up, I will definitely go to Complete Car Sound in Enoggera. It's only about 40km away and isn't all that far from where I was today (Lexus service and iROAD shop). I gather you are associated with Guardian. It is a camera I discarded for its lack of features I wanted, though reviews are very favorable.
Regards,
Evenstar

I think BlackVue sells (off the top of my head) some graphite things (sorry) that attach to the wires, both ends. For treatment of interference of DAB antennas when placed next to the dashcam wires, maybe that's an avenue worth exploring if you do have problems.
As for the install, the most challenging part I had was running the rear camera wire through the tailgate harness rubber, other than that, it's simply tucked into the weather seals pretty much. Really easy.
I noticed they do batteries but I didn't really see the point. The car already has a battery and the Power magic pro prevents it from discharging to a state where you couldn't start the car. A bigger main battery could also be fitted. For me, mainly I didn't want to add any weight, mine's a 3 door hybrid.
Good luck with your install.

I installed my CellLink B in the trunk of my Holden right next to the car's battery. Was a very simple install. I'm always leery of any merchant trashing another's. That's when I get up and leave but I'm seldom there in the first place as I do most of the work myself.

Back