placing the a118c in back windshield, power cable is long enough?

666pluto

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I want to buy the A118C & place it in the back windshield. I have a space star (super mini), but still I'm not sure If the power cable will be long enough to ran from the front to the back (hidden in the sides along the way).
Is there an extension or similar? how to solve this issue?

i will have to cameras, both with lighter socket. buying a lighter spliter will do the job, or cameras won't work OK with it? other solutions?

last thing, the rear windshield in factory tinted. how will this effect the camera video quality?

Last edited:
You can use any decent quality shielded USB cable to power a 5V dash cam such as the A118. All you need to do is use a USB car charger and a proper length USB-A to mini-B cable.
For example Monoprice sells 10 or 15 foot shielded USB cables for as little as $1.31 USD. There are many decent USB car chargers available at modest cost. I'm sure you can source these items elsewhere from Israel.

If you increase the EV exposure value on your camera you can compensate for the tinted glass and it will work fine but in some situations you will experience more motion blur from fast moving objects.

cable.png charger.png

I've experimented with improvised power cables for dash cams and some don't like the commonly found 28AWG USB-to-miniUSB cable. Cams much prefer cable of 24AWG or even 22AWG or 20AWG to ensure the voltage drop over distance isn't so great that it confuses the cam regarding when to startup/shutdown.

Depends on the camera, the cable length and the power supply but heavier cable is always desirable, except of course that it is harder to install and hide the thicker it is. I've only experienced issues with one camera (0806) with a 15 foot 28AWG cable.

The cable is probably long enough for a Mitsubishi Mirage (Mitsubishi Space Star). If not long enough, a cheap ebay phone charger should be good as far as the USB outlet you use gives 1A, and any 10ft cable works.

The tint will probably give you very bad night quality if you're driving in a non-illuminated area, but being factory tint, it's probably light enough not to affect daytime quality so much.

Cheap no name eBay chargers are best avoided. They are often sources of RF noise, tend to be unreliable, under-powered despite their ratings and are generally a waste of money. For a few bucks more you get an Anker like the one pictured above - voltage regulated, 4.8 amps with 18 month warranty - $7.99 on Amazon.

Get Aukey or Anker for the car usb port charger. Monoprice is good for cables, though you could try looking on Amazon also to see if there's any decent ones.

thanks for the replies.
I can order products from abroad, lt probably be cheaper anyway(!), so that's not a problem.

with my current G1W-H, when i tried to connect it in the car using a mini to USB cable it didn't start recording! what it did was turning on with a message of "mass storage", the way it happens when i connect it to my computer at home! i made sure the cable was also a charging one not only data transfer. can anyone confirm if it will work with the A118C or same problem will happen & it won't work with this kind of cable?

I will probably end up with 2 A118C (front & back windshields) + USB charging cable for my NOTE 4 when needed. can this cause issues in the car electric system? to much power or it's minor?

same issue as above, can you recommend a USB car charger with 3 USB slots? one which can handle 2 cameras + smartphone charge...I also prefer to avoid the no name chines ones as they tend to be unreliable.

thanks for the replies.
I can order products from abroad, lt probably be cheaper anyway(!), so that's not a problem.

with my current G1W-H, when i tried to connect it in the car using a mini to USB cable it didn't start recording! what it did was turning on with a message of "mass storage", the way it happens when i connect it to my computer at home! i made sure the cable was also a charging one not only data transfer. can anyone confirm if it will work with the A118C or same problem will happen & it won't work with this kind of cable?

I will probably end up with 2 A118C (front & back windshields) + USB charging cable for my NOTE 4 when needed. can this cause issues in the car electric system? to much power or it's minor?

same issue as above, can you recommend a USB car charger with 3 USB slots? one which can handle 2 cameras + smartphone charge...I also prefer to avoid the no name chines ones as they tend to be unreliable.

The camera thinks it is connected to a computer because the cable you have is likely 4 (or 5 pin) wiring and it is seeing the two inner data wires. The two outer wires are the 5 volt power and ground that power the camera while the two inner ones are data wires. Put a thin piece of tape over the inner two or three pins and the camera will work. You can also carefully cut the appropriate wire(s) by slicing open the cable and cutting the two inner most wires.

pins.jpg

USB cable copy.jpg

can anyone confirm if it will work with the A118C or same problem will happen & it won't work with this kind of cable?

I use USB power adaptors and USB->mini-USB cables for my cameras, and they work fine. That way I can take the laptop to the car to copy off video, rather than having to take the camera or SD card out of the the car.

You probably need to make sure the adaptor is only supplying power, and doesn't respond to USB data.

My current setup (for A118C, which works fine so far) is using a TomTom High Speed Multi Charger, plugged into the 1A port. The cable I'm using is an Anker 10ft Micro USB Cable and a generic micro usb to mini usb adapter off eBay.

TomTom: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B005MIZYOWAnker cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00MLP6HLSAdapter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/111575140989
Only reason why I decided to usb micro usb cable + adapter is in case that I get a new camera in the future, I don't have to reroute the cables, assuming that most 'generic' cameras use micro usb or mini usb...

You can use any decent quality shielded USB cable to power a 5V dash cam such as the A118. All you need to do is use a USB car charger and a proper length USB-A to mini-B cable.
For example Monoprice sells 10 or 15 foot shielded USB cables for as little as $1.31 USD. There are many decent USB car chargers available at modest cost. I'm sure you can source these items elsewhere from Israel.

Thanks for your post, I was looking for a replacement cable for my B40 and your recommendation of 10 ft Monoprice is what I got, works like a charm :)

Have you checked to see if there is a forgotten 12V receptacle in the rear seat or trunk of your car? Many models have one or more. If you have one and are lucky, its also a switched outlet.

Guys, I'm planning to do the same as 666pluto.
My only concern is that the 3m usb cable won't be long enough from my rear window to the front of the car. Hopefully, the 15 feet (4.5m) will be long enough but also stable enough to not loose power for the A118C...

I'm looking at monoprice and I see some that have this..."ferrite core" thing on them...what's that for? Will it help?
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=5447&seq=1&format=2

Guys, I'm planning to do the same as 666pluto.
My only concern is that the 3m usb cable won't be long enough from my rear window to the front of the car. Hopefully, the 15 feet (4.5m) will be long enough but also stable enough to not loose power for the A118C...

Guys, can anyone point me to another trusted seller (with good products) for a 15 feet / 4.5 meters long cable for my future-rear-A118C ?
I would have chosen monoprice but it seems that they don't ship to Ro...

Guys, can anyone point me to another trusted seller (with good products) for a 15 feet / 4.5 meters long cable for my future-rear-A118C ?
I would have chosen monoprice but it seems that they don't ship to Ro...

Amazon.co.uk ships to Romania, if you're not too worried about price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B002KL8N6A

...I know, but the shipping cost is twice as the cable.
So, I would prefer another vendor. :)

Back