Plane makes emergency landing on busy Los Angeles road

That's the thing about women pilots. They don't mind stopping to ask for directions.

I would have thought that landing on a road is far too risky and against the rules, in an emergency you should land in an empty field, or maybe on the beach?

I would have thought that landing on a road is far too risky and against the rules, in an emergency you should land in an empty field, or maybe on the beach?

My girlfriend, a licensed commercial pilot who was trained in LA explains that pilots are trained to find a "suitable" place to land in an emergency and are literally taught to look for a stretch of road if at all possible. A highway is about the closest thing to an actual runway that there is. In a large urban area like Los Angeles a pilot would likely not have the luxury of landing in an "empty" field or a beach.

My girlfriend, a licensed commercial pilot who was trained in LA explains that pilots are trained to find a "suitable" place to land in an emergency and are literally taught to look for a stretch of road if at all possible. A highway is about the closest thing to an actual runway that there is. In a large urban area like Los Angeles a pilot would likely not have the luxury of landing in an "empty" field or a beach.
I guess that makes sense, although I can see a green field alongside the road in post #1.

Here, you are not allowed to fly a single engine aircraft beyond gliding distance of green fields, so there should be never be a need to use a road and risk the lives of the normal road users.

I guess that makes sense, although I can see a green field alongside the road in post #1.

Here, you are not allowed to fly a single engine aircraft beyond gliding distance of green fields, so there should be never be a need to use a road and risk the lives of the normal road users.

Flight rules are likely a bit different in a large open country dotted with urban/suburban areas like the US but under the rules you cite a single engine aircraft couldn't operate in and around a large city. I've learned that in a large city like Los Angeles, small private aircraft have to follow very strict protocols because the airspace is teaming with large commercial aircraft that have priority. As far as those rules are concerned however, it's my understanding that they are immediately waived during emergencies with life and limb becoming the priority. My GF tells an interesting story about experiencing engine trouble in a rented single engine Cessna several miles out over the ocean from LA and they cleared the airspace for miles around and guided her in for a landing on a main runway at LAX. Turns out the plane had a history of carburetor troubles.

I see that green field alongside the road in post #1 too but it appears as if the trees wouldn't have allowed for enough "runway" for a landing.

Emergency is emergency. It doesn't matter small or big plane or a tire blow on a car.

One of my favorite scene from Sully movie.

Can we get serious now.

Yup, it's quite easy for us car drivers to assume it should be simple for a plane to weave around trees and other obstacles since it's so easy with our steering wheel and brakes.

KuoH

I see that green field alongside the road in post #1 too but it appears as if the trees wouldn't have allowed for enough "runway" for a landing.

Flight rules are likely a bit different in a large open country dotted with urban/suburban areas like the US but under the rules you cite a single engine aircraft couldn't operate in and around a large city. I've learned that in a large city like Los Angeles, small private aircraft have to follow very strict protocols because the airspace is teaming with large commercial aircraft that have priority. As far as those rules are concerned however, it's my understanding that they are immediately waived during emergencies with life and limb becoming the priority. My GF tells an interesting story about experiencing engine trouble in a rented single engine Cessna several miles out over the ocean from LA and they cleared the airspace for miles around and guided her in for a landing on a main runway at LAX. Turns out the plane had a history of carburetor troubles.
Over most UK towns and cities the rule just means that you need some decent height so that you can glide out of town without an engine, even in London I think you can fly across the centre by following the river, and land in the river if necessary. Single engine helicopters have to stay well away from all urban areas though.

Looks big enough to me, might have to use a hedge for the final braking, and the "solo student" is then only risking one life instead of tens of lives.
Stall speed on a Cessna 172 with flaps is only 40 knots.

Looks big enough to me, might have to use a hedge for the final braking, and the "solo student" is then only risking one life instead of tens of lives.
Stall speed on a Cessna 172 with flaps is only 40 knots.

Good luck with that! :rolleyes:

That student managed somehow to avoid any injury, loss of life or damage to property or the aircraft. I'd say he made the right choice and is on his way to becoming an ace pilot!

Back