Playback freezing in Lukas viewer (mac)

HenryNorth

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got a 7200, and it works very well - great picture, good GPS data. The problem is playback on the Lukas viewer - the video freezes every few seconds. (might this be related to GPS frequency?) I tried the 7200 viewer, as well as the one for the 7900; both do the same thing. If I watch the video file on another program, it plays fine, no hesitation or freezing. Any ideas?

I just got a 7200, and it works very well - great picture, good GPS data. The problem is playback on the Lukas viewer - the video freezes every few seconds. (might this be related to GPS frequency?) I tried the 7200 viewer, as well as the one for the 7900; both do the same thing. If I watch the video file on another program, it plays fine, no hesitation or freezing. Any ideas?
Hi HenryNorth, I am not a Mac user but Rob of @CalagaryDashCamera has spoken to me that the viewer is laggy on his Mac as well. I read the requirements once for the pc viewer application and it is pretty hefty, surprising. I have a laptop with a dual core 1.3 mhz cpu and decent graphics card and it lags on there. I have two other computers that have larger cpu's and it runs like a scalded ape. Try on another computer if you can. I tried to find those pc requirements for the viewer and could not find again, gave up. I think that for you maybe, not enough umph...

Ha! It's the best computer I have. It's not the top of the line, but it is a new 2015 macbook pro that has no problem with heavy workloads in photoshop, so unless the Lukas app is very poorly coded (which I realize is possible) it shouldn't have a problem with it.

Ha! It's the best computer I have. It's not the top of the line, but it is a new 2015 macbook pro that has no problem with heavy workloads in photoshop, so unless the Lukas app is very poorly coded (which I realize is possible) it shouldn't have a problem with it.
HN, here are the pc OS requirements, as you can see it's not graphics or memory intensive but does seem to be Processor intensive... a quad core is a lot of umphh !
That's probably why my little 1.3 ghz dual core laptop lags when using the viewer... what cpu does your mac pro have ?
viewer.jpg

It's a dual core Broadwell 2.7 Ghz, SSD storage. If that's not enough to run their viewer, their developers really have their heads up their posterior. Like I said, I run photoshop and also do video editing with no problems. Those are much more demanding tasks. I suspect the PC version is poorly written, and that got ported to Mac by an intern.

It's a dual core Broadwell 2.7 Ghz, SSD storage. If that's not enough to run their viewer, their developers really have their heads up their posterior. Like I said, I run photoshop and also do video editing with no problems. Those are much more demanding tasks. I suspect the PC version is poorly written, and that got ported to Mac by an intern.
I agree, it would be good to hear from someone who can speak for Lukas, I imagine many people have the same issue... o_O

I haven't a lot of experience with the Lukas 7200 Cuty as we have never actually sold the camera.
It sounds like your computer is not to blame if the video files are playing normally in external media players.
Unfortunately, there is not much I can suggest other than using an external media player to view your footage, and if at all possible using the Lukas viewer only for the GPS data, etc.

I will contact Lukas and let them know you are having the problem, and I'll ask my business partner Rob to re-create the problem on his Mac. However--
without the physical 7200 Cuty unit, we can't completely rule out the possibility that it's a software/hardware issue on your end.

Would it be possible for you to send us a video clip from the camera? [Samuel@calgarydashcam.com].

Hi Samuel, thanks for looking into it. I'll send you a video this weekend. I also contacted Lukas and will send them a video to examine, I'll update with their response.

Back