Playback Mode

Error7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius - 808 #16 4 x G1W-H - 2 x 70mai
Yesterday I needed to use the Playback Mode on my Mobius but I couldn't get it to work. It worked for me on one occasion about 12 months ago, so I began to wonder if a firmware update had changed the way the Playback Mode functions. I did a search on this forum for 'Playback Mode' in case I had missed a revision of the instructions but I didn't find anything relevant.

So I checked to ensure that I was following the instructions properly, I was, so I then installed the oldest firmware I could access, 1.13. This made no difference. So I then started to push buttons in a fairly methodical manner until I arrived at a combination that allowed me to access Playback Mode and review footage I had previously recorded.

This is the combination I came up with:

1. Turn on the camera if it is not already turned on then wait for YELLOW LED to start flashing.
2. Press the Shutter button - LED will change to steady YELLOW
3. Press the Mode button - LED will change to steady BLUE
4. Press the Mode button again - LED will change to steady RED
5. Press the Mode button again - camera will enter playback mode
6. Press the Mode button again - the first frame of the first clip found on the card will show on the external monitor.

Press the Shutter button to play or pause the clip.
Press the Mode button to advance to the next clip.
Press the Power button to exit Playback Mode and turn off the camera.

I also discovered that when using this combination of button presses with Firmware 1.13, the monitor displayed NO FILES, even though the card was full of .MOV files so I re-installed 2.37 and was able to see all the files on my card.

Yesterday I needed to use the Playback Mode on my Mobius but I couldn't get it to work. It worked for me on one occasion about 12 months ago, so I began to wonder if a firmware update had changed the way the Playback Mode functions. I did a search on this forum for 'Playback Mode' in case I had missed a revision of the instructions but I didn't find anything relevant.

So I checked to ensure that I was following the instructions properly, I was, so I then installed the oldest firmware I could access, 1.13. This made no difference. So I then started to push buttons in a fairly methodical manner until I arrived at a combination that allowed me to access Playback Mode and review footage I had previously recorded.

This is the combination I came up with:

1. Turn on the camera if it is not already turned on then wait for YELLOW LED to start flashing.
2. Press the Shutter button - LED will change to steady YELLOW
3. Press the Mode button - LED will change to steady BLUE
4. Press the Mode button again - LED will change to steady RED
5. Press the Mode button again - camera will enter playback mode
6. Press the Mode button again - the first frame of the first clip found on the card will show on the external monitor.

Press the Shutter button to play or pause the clip.
Press the Mode button to advance to the next clip.
Press the Power button to exit Playback Mode and turn off the camera.

I also discovered that when using this combination of button presses with Firmware 1.13, the monitor displayed NO FILES, even though the card was full of .MOV files so I re-installed 2.37 and was able to see all the files on my card.
Your method only works for you because you have your camera set to auto-record. It will not work if the camera is set to start with Mode 2 or you have auto-record disabled.
Unfortunately, the description for Playback Mode in the manual assumes auto-record is turned off. I will correct this in the next revision.
From the manual:
Playback Mode

• Ensure you have an A/V cable connected between the camera and an external monitor and a card is inserted.
  • Turn on the camera if it is not already turned on.
  • Press the Mode button until the red LED turns on (Photo Mode).
  • Now press the Mode button once more. The red LED will remain on, but the camera will be in playback mode and the first frame of the first clip found on the card will show on the external monitor.
  • ► If no clips are found on the card the display will show "Empty".
  • Press the Shutter button to play or pause the clip.
  • Press the Mode button to advance to the next clip.
  • Press the Power button to exit Playback Mode and turn off the camera.
  • ► It is not possible to exit Playback Mode except by turning off the camera.
As you have found out, v2.37 does not have the playback issue found in some previous versions. This is a typical reason why you should always update your camera to the latest firmware version. There were exceptions in one or two firmware revisions, but these were rare and the previous version was immediately posted for those who wanted to downgrade.

Thanks Isoprop. I do indeed have my camera set to auto record. I would expect that most dash-cam users have their's set the same.
Can you clarify that my method is the only way to access playback mode when auto record is enabled in v2.37 or is there a simpler way that I could use.

Here's the text from the future manual revision (note the extra 3rd. line and the slightly modified 4th line - marked in red).
The modified instructions should now be correct with all settings:

Playback Mode

• Ensure you have an A/V cable connected between the camera and an external monitor and a card is inserted.
  • Turn on the camera if it is not already turned on.
  • ► If the camera is set to Auto-Record press the shutter button to stop the recording.
  • Press the Mode button once or twice until the red LED turns on (Photo Mode).
  • Now press the Mode button once more. The red LED will remain on, but the camera will be in playback mode and the first frame of the first clip found on the card will show on the external monitor.
  • ► If no clips are found on the card the display will show "Empty".
  • Press the Shutter button to play or pause the clip.
  • Press the Mode button to advance to the next clip.
  • Press the Power button to exit Playback Mode and turn off the camera.
  • ► It is not possible to exit Playback Mode except by turning off the camera.

Back