Please Help! DR650GW-2CH stuck with Custom Firmware (Rear Cam not working!)

Mobiletech

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I bought a 650gw 2ch from amazon warehouse (pre-owned) and after the rear cam not working and getting "incorrect version" messages when trying to update the firmware I figured out the previous owner had installed custom firmware (v1.5) and as this is a newer model it's disabled the rear cam.

I am desperately trying to find someone who has had experience in removing the custom firmware as the blackvue OEM firmware just gives incorrect model messages.

I know it's a long shot but I'm desperate for help as I bought this dashcam specifically for the rear camera and can't exchange it as they don't have another in stock :( From what I can gather If I could get a file called dr650gw-2ch_v1.003r_from_1.5 that may do it.

Fingers crossed & Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Are you trying to upgrade to 2x or 1x ... try the latest 1x first

I've tried all the 650gw 2ch firmwares all the way back to v1.003 but the camera keeps telling me it's the incorrect version because the custom firmware makes the camera think it's a 550gw rather than a 650gw.

I've tried editing the .ini file of the OEM firmware, changing the model to 550 before inserting the memory card and the camera just works as normal with no attempt to replace the firmware.

This custom firmware v1.5 rewrites the kernel inside the camera apparently so it seems it has literally broken it and there seems to be no way to get it working again. Hope someone out there has some experience removing the custom firmware. My fingers remain crossed!

hard when you've bought it second hand to know what someone else has done before you, these can also be a problem due to Korean sellers that ship local market versions with hacked firmware to give English language

When I received it and it was a newer cloud based one I was delighted. I knew as soon the wifi ssid showed up as a dr550gw that something was wrong :(

Might still keep it as a 1 channel camera but I can't tell you how gutted I am that I have a perfectly good rear camera and cable that I can't use due to some goon changing the firmware without knowing what they were doing! :mad:

Last edited:
yeah someone has hacked something somewhere along the way, guess that's why the seller decided it was time to go, rather unfortunate for you though, maybe better to resell the rear camera rather than having it sit around doing nothing

I found the following, if you want to try it.

Good luck

John

On the hidden website you download the CUSTOM 1.5 firmware there is a RAR (zip file) that allows you to downgrade from CUSTOM 1.5 to a RUSSIAN version 1.03

Simply the instructions are:
1. Remove the SD card from the camera running the CUSTOM 1.5 firmware
2. Download the file "dr650gw-2ch_v1.003r_from_1.5" from the link described here http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?topic=877.0 (it is at bottom of page - note you must be a registered user and have the status of a Donated User)
3. Open the SD card on your PC and delete the SYSTEM folder
4. From the file "dr650gw-2ch_v1.003r_from_1.5" (open with winrar) copy the SYSTEM folder to your SD card
5. Insert SD card to camera
6. Let the upgrade work - it will change your camera to RUSSIAN language
7. After upgrade complete power off the camera
8. Open the SD card on your PC with the "Blackvue HD" software from Pittasoft (this was supplied with your camera)
9. On the SETTINGs icon (gear icon top right) you can change back to English
10. Install back to camera and presto your camera is now ENGLISH again.
11. Using the iPhone or Android BLACKVUE APP download the v1.03 software to your phone.

< wait for download to complete on your phone>

12. Connect to your camera WIFI with phone and open the app
13. On APP press "Blackvue WI-FI" -> CONFIG -> FIRMWARE UPGRADE

After all that your Camera is now back to the OFFICIAL firmware.

NOTE: I only reverted back as I am having issues with my camera stalling. I may need to return the camera under warranty for repair or replacement. I absolutely appreciate the quality of the work Alexsoll and the team have done on the custom FIRMWARE. Hoping to have camera sorted soon so yet again I can enjoy the sheer quality of the improvements in the custom FIRMWARE.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
Alan-GTC-, Feb 21, 2015

Thank you John I really appreciate the effort to try to help. The link just gives a 403 error now so I guess it doesn't exist anymore. I can only hold out hope that someone has a copy of the file laying around somewhere. I've messaged @alexsoll but he says he can't help as it's been years since he's had anything to do with it :(

Not the solution you want but why not just return it before you fall outside the return window, don't understand why you'd rather keep it as a crippled front-only vs getting $$$ back for a not-as-advertised sale

Back