Please help. I cant access critical footage

Armen egezarov

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello everyone. I hard wired a kenwood drv-330 . And over the weekend had a collision which was not my fault. And my only witness is dash cam. Unfortanly due to shock and stupid thinking I removed sd card 1 minute after accidant. And when I went to play back for guards the footage wouldn't open.put sd card to laptop can view the important footage.

Attachments

• 20181201_220427.jpg
    20181201_220427.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 20
If the camera has a screen, try playing the video on the cam itself. Sometimes this repairs the file.

Phil

Did you remove the card with the camera turned on? That will not allow the last file to close properly. You must never insert or remove a card with the cam turned on. Also there could have been a momentary electrical glitch during the crash causing a cam malfunction. By putting the card back in the cam then turning it on, the cam will look for where to place the new recording and might properly close that last file then, rendering it viewable. It doesn't always work but it's the easiest solution to try. If your cam does not have a screen, you can still try this, letting the cam boot up, record, then shut the cam down properly. Also try some different video viewing sofyware such as VLC player or registratorviewer. The native Windows video viewing programs which come with your PC are not always the ones which work best. Try this first, and if it doesn't work then something in one of these links might help:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-file-completely-lost.7488/page-2#post-162528
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-data-from-corrupted-cards.10557/#post-134332
Read these threads fully and carefully before trying to do anything, and if you don't understand them, find someone with more computer skills to try them. There are also professional services which do data recovery from electronic media but the cost is high. Don't use this card for anything until you've recovered the data you need or have given up on the attempt as you don't want to overwrite anything on it. Do not put it into any other cam until then as that may further corrupt the data on it.

Using a professional service, the chances are very good that the needed video can be recovered. Using methods you can do yourself lower that chance, but they work often enough to make the effort worthwhile.

Wishing you the best of luck with this!
Phil

I an so thankful for your help . My cam has a screen. I am planning to insert card in and try view it like u recomended previous comment. My camera was in the car which was in a storage place that it got toed to after the crash. At the time I thought I just needed sd card so I left camera in the car. I just got car back to my house this morning. Cost me a fortune 500. My insurance is 3rd party. So my insurance won't cover anything. My only hope is the footage. Do you think I should give it a go or just bring it to a professional. ? I understand your instructions. So I should put sd card back on and let it record for 10 min roughly and then try view it again on dash cam ?? I had a friend who is a phone technician. His handy enough with tech stuff. He looked at the sd car at work and said the file is there just can't open it. So it's not the case of having to recover the file because it's there. It's just the matter of opening it.

Is it just that one file on your memory card, or are they all broken like that ?

I would try and copy the broken file and a working file from the memory card to a computer, and then try the repair file function that the old registrator viewer dashcam software have, it need the broken file + a working file from the same camera to fix the broken file.

Using that function in registrator viewer i have a few times been able to repair a file that i could not otherwise play.

Do NOT record on the card again beyond trying to use the cam to view it with. Insert the card, let the cam start normally (even if it records then), and then use the menu to try viewing the last file. After that, shut the cam down normally. If you saw what you need then the file has been repaired and saved. Now you should be able to view and save it on your computer. Try to view it there again even if the cam didn't show it using VLC player or registratorviewer.

Thanks @kamkar1 for reminding us of the file repair function in registratorviewer- I had forgotten about that and I'll give it a bookmark now for future use (y) Use that if you've not gotten results yet. I'm wondering if it would be worth trying dashcamviewer here? I don't know if it has this kind of advanced feature in it or if @traveler could offer any assistance with this as he understands how these things work much better than I do. I'm pretty much at the limit of what help I can offer at this point but I'll watch this thread and continue doing what I can.

Phil

Do NOT record on the card again beyond trying to use the cam to view it with. Insert the card, let the cam start normally (even if it records then), and then use the menu to try viewing the last file. After that, shut the cam down normally. If you saw what you need then the file has been repaired and saved. Now you should be able to view and save it on your computer. Try to view it there again even if the cam didn't show it using VLC player or registratorviewer.

Thanks @kamkar1 for reminding us of the file repair function in registratorviewer- I had forgotten about that and I'll give it a bookmark now for future use (y) Use that if you've not gotten results yet. I'm wondering if it would be worth trying dashcamviewer here? I don't know if it has this kind of advanced feature in it or if @traveler could offer any assistance with this as he understands how these things work much better than I do. I'm pretty much at the limit of what help I can offer at this point but I'll watch this thread and continue doing what I can.

Phil
When I put card in it isn't gonna let me view it. But you think if I then shut the cam down properly. It would fix it ? I use kenwood route watcher 2 . To view footage in my laptop.

Is it just that one file on your memory card, or are they all broken like that ?

I would try and copy the broken file and a working file from the memory card to a computer, and then try the repair file function that the old registrator viewer dashcam software have, it need the broken file + a working file from the same camera to fix the broken file.

Using that function in registrator viewer i have a few times been able to repair a file that i could not otherwise play.
Yes it is just that one important one that I can't access. The rest work fine I can view them fine

no you might risk to ruin it even more, best to experiment on copies of the original file.
If / when you find something that work you can always use it on the original file, but i think a copy should be fine so the right people can see it and hat happened.

How would I make a copy to tamper with. Because I was planning on putting sd card in dash cam later which I havnt done since the crash. And see and I get anywhere that way. But as u said I should tamper with original so what should I do

As I said, put the card in the cam first, as that is the easiest thing to try which might fix it which will not endanger the file you are having problems with. Then try it in your Kenwood viewer, then other viewers if that doesn't work. Only after doing all this do you want to attempt other methods, which should begin with the registratorviewer repair which kamkar1 can help you with. I just got called into work so it will be this evening before I can return here. There is hope and a chance for you
still; just follow all instructions exactly and carefully as you do not want to risk loss of whatever is left on the card!
Phil

I wanna thank everyone for their help. I got the footage. Basically because I pulled the sd card before the 5 min loop it corrupted the file. To I brought it to a repair shop and they recovered it for me. They split audio and vidio and played it as separate files as far as I am aware. Anyway thanks guys so much. Happy Christmas. Ps I passed on a yellow and other car on red.

...Basically because I pulled the sd card before the 5 min loop it corrupted the file....
You can remove the card before the end of the current file but you have to turn off the camera first so the file can be properly closed out. It sounds like the problem was caused because you pulled the card while the camera was turned on and recording.

Great to hear of your success (y) I hope your dealings with the insurers goes smoother!

Phil

That's what happened. I have learned my lesson. Hope my stressful experience can make some people who weren't aware of the risk of mis use of dash cam with out knowing ins and out of it. Can cause lots of hassle at most vital times

Great to hear of your success (y) I hope your dealings with the insurers goes smoother!

Phil
Hey Phil. In the vid I passed a amber. I was going over 50 k limit by going 46 miles. But it's a big road which defo shouldn't be 50 k should be a 80. She still ran a red and I ran amber. It was amber for solid 2 seconds.

Back