Please help select a dashcam for Mazda CX30 !!!

lionkong

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I just bought a new car Mazda CX30 2023 Select trim. And I want to buy a dashcam for it.

Is there any dashcam that have a big screen that have live view function that can view the car from back through rear camera on the dashcam screen while driving?

I know there are mirror rear view dashcam have that function. I currently using Vantrue rear view dashcam for my old Toyota camry. But I want to change to something other than that.

I see there are 4 channels dashcams that can cover all angles front, left, right and rear like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08C2THHVB
Is any body using it? What is the quality? Good?

And finally, I must need to have the parking mode for the dashcam. Because, my car will park on the street always.

But the CX30 doesn't have ACC fuse in the inside fuse box. Therefore, I cannot hardwire it.

So, can I use the ODB2 power adapter for the dashcam for parking mode?

Thank you all!!!

Welcome to the forum Lionkong.

Not many dashcams with big screens, i think the biggest ones are about 4" but there may be some bastard wide mirror systems, mirror systems do not see much mentioning / use in here for some reason.

BUT ! having a screen going with video could be illegal if the driver can see it, even if it is the same the driver would see looking out the window.
Also a screen on, this generate more heat in the camera, which will add to all the other stuff, though as i use always screen on for testing to run the cameras as hot as i can i have never seen one shut f´down due to high temperature.

You can also connect to most dashcams with the APP and get a live view there, and these days the lag are actually pretty minimal.
you could probably also do this with a media center Apple or IOS based, but you can only connect 1 device.

Most of the 4 channel systems you see, the side cameras are meant to be put on a semi trucks mirror tree and so film down the side like you will see tesla cars do.
Many of us have run side cameras for years, but DIY either by installing single cameras on the side, or use a dual channel to fulfill that task.

This do give you a full video bubble, but just not right up against the car as the cameras used for side are not wider angle than front and rear cameras would be, but a few paces awaay and its sort of there.
Very few offer down the side cameras like on tesla cars, often these have only been 720p resolution which none of us will recommend getting.
The "dangle off windscreen " kind of system you link to, this are not a super cool kind of mount as it is prone to vibration, of if you hit or get hit on the front will swivel up and so only film the sky after a event.

My old setup ( side camera system have now died ) side cameras mounted on fixed glass on the rear doors of my small 5 door Suzuki hatchback.

Most dashcams support parking guard, i also do this but just for 3 hours on the timer as i do not park for long out on town ( retired ) and at home i have a camera on my car from my 2 floor balcony door.
There need to be some light present to do meaningful parking guard ( chance of a identifying face )
read on this here. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/what-budget-dashcam-can-you-recomend.48564/

Some brands do offer to connect via OBD port for parking guard, but this do narrow the field of candidates.

Also doing parking guard a lot, well sooner or later you will hit the low voltage cut off ( 12.2 volts you should use on lead acid batteries to not ruin it, AGM type you can discharge a little lower )
So you of course have to drive and replenish what you have used while parking, but if you drive 2 hours a day ( to from work ) that should be able to keep up fine, but say in a weekend where you do not drive, well then things start to get marginal.

Some systems have ways to mitigate this, most often using radar to put the system in a very deep sleep state, but this then mean your camera need " fair warning " in the run up to the actual event, now this are most often seconds, but still.
I personally use low bitrate always record, this mean my camera record for the 3 hours i have set the timer to, but a low bitrate so the footage take up a lot less room and the system generate less internal heat.
A plus is you miss nothing as it record all the time, and the recording also have sound, which other modes like time lapse do not have.
And the low bitrate, still enough to resolve license plates,,,,, well large easy to read EU plates, when the car are parked roadside.
And of course you need light, at night you will not get a plate capture unless the car that hit your car run from there at a speed you can run faster than backwards. ( this go for all dashcam its a limit of the sensors currently in use )

Welcome to the forum Lionkong.

Not many dashcams with big screens, i think the biggest ones are about 4" but there may be some bastard wide mirror systems, mirror systems do not see much mentioning / use in here for some reason.

BUT ! having a screen going with video could be illegal if the driver can see it, even if it is the same the driver would see looking out the window.
Also a screen on, this generate more heat in the camera, which will add to all the other stuff, though as i use always screen on for testing to run the cameras as hot as i can i have never seen one shut f´down due to high temperature.

You can also connect to most dashcams with the APP and get a live view there, and these days the lag are actually pretty minimal.
you could probably also do this with a media center Apple or IOS based, but you can only connect 1 device.

Most of the 4 channel systems you see, the side cameras are meant to be put on a semi trucks mirror tree and so film down the side like you will see tesla cars do.
Many of us have run side cameras for years, but DIY either by installing single cameras on the side, or use a dual channel to fulfill that task.

This do give you a full video bubble, but just not right up against the car as the cameras used for side are not wider angle than front and rear cameras would be, but a few paces awaay and its sort of there.
Very few offer down the side cameras like on tesla cars, often these have only been 720p resolution which none of us will recommend getting.
The "dangle off windscreen " kind of system you link to, this are not a super cool kind of mount as it is prone to vibration, of if you hit or get hit on the front will swivel up and so only film the sky after a event.

My old setup ( side camera system have now died ) side cameras mounted on fixed glass on the rear doors of my small 5 door Suzuki hatchback.

Most dashcams support parking guard, i also do this but just for 3 hours on the timer as i do not park for long out on town ( retired ) and at home i have a camera on my car from my 2 floor balcony door.
There need to be some light present to do meaningful parking guard ( chance of a identifying face )
read on this here. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/what-budget-dashcam-can-you-recomend.48564/

Some brands do offer to connect via OBD port for parking guard, but this do narrow the field of candidates.

Also doing parking guard a lot, well sooner or later you will hit the low voltage cut off ( 12.2 volts you should use on lead acid batteries to not ruin it, AGM type you can discharge a little lower )
So you of course have to drive and replenish what you have used while parking, but if you drive 2 hours a day ( to from work ) that should be able to keep up fine, but say in a weekend where you do not drive, well then things start to get marginal.

Some systems have ways to mitigate this, most often using radar to put the system in a very deep sleep state, but this then mean your camera need " fair warning " in the run up to the actual event, now this are most often seconds, but still.
I personally use low bitrate always record, this mean my camera record for the 3 hours i have set the timer to, but a low bitrate so the footage take up a lot less room and the system generate less internal heat.
A plus is you miss nothing as it record all the time, and the recording also have sound, which other modes like time lapse do not have.
And the low bitrate, still enough to resolve license plates,,,,, well large easy to read EU plates, when the car are parked roadside.
And of course you need light, at night you will not get a plate capture unless the car that hit your car run from there at a speed you can run faster than backwards. ( this go for all dashcam its a limit of the sensors currently in use )

Thank you so much for your reply.

In the first video, you use 4 separate cameras? 1 for each side?

So, you would not recommend to buy the 4 channels camera that all in one like the product I linked?

If that so, I would just have front and rear cameras should be OK. As long as it is good built.

I am using the mirror rear view like the link below for my Toyota Camry 2007.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07Z3LXZLH
And used the hardwire kit for it for parking mode.

I drove the Toyota for work 5 days per week and parked 2 days on weekend before that. Currently, I just parking it on street around a week, with very rare to drive it. But the battery still no problem.

So, may I ask for your explanation the difference between the hardwire kit like above and the ODB2 power cable?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08KTTCKJ8
As for the hardwire kit, 1 wire to ACC fuse, and 1 wire to Constant fuse.

The ACC fuse will shutdown when the ignition off. And the Constant will keep the power for the dashcam?

I know most of dashcam which have parking mode will put the camera into sleep mode/parking mode to save the battery. And it only turn on when there is impact or motion detected near the camera.

So, if I use the ODB2 power cable, does it work like the hardwire kit? Mean, will put the dashcam to sleep mode/parking mode for saving battery? And only turn on when impact or motion detected near the camera?

The 360 video i use the K2S system as side cameras, it have smaller cameras than other remote ( rear ) or similar dual remote camera systems i have seen / tested. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/k2s-received.37896/
img_20190709_214021-jpg.47290

The K2S actually also came with a OBD adapter for powering it, as you can see in the pictures in my thread about it.

It is a bit hard to recommend something i have not tested, or heard about from others, but that dont mean its garbage it could still be a OK system.
I have to excuse myself here, yesterday when i clicked at your link i was sent to Amazon UK and saw some 2 channel system, right now i use my VPN to fake i am American and see the real deal.
And for sure not something i have seen before, looks or the brand name.

Now testing other cameras with a interior camera, you can get a glimpse of what is going on outside by that camera, but it is like looking thru a small window and also depending on how good the system are in exposure the outside might be overexposed.

I have a few videos demonstrating performance of interior cameras on other model systems.

Here interior just a short glimpse in the middle of the video.

Here wearing my 4 of July T-shirt.

To me that is not good enough situational awareness / documentation. that is just what go on in the car.

There are also a longer thread where we talk side cameras. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...a-side-view-dashcam-for-your-car-doors.12675/

It is my understanding that the systems powered thru a OBD adapter are then also able to do parkig guard.

In the conventional systems with 3 wire hard wire kit, then yes the ACC are sort of just the trigger wire to know if the care are on or not, you can also tap in other places than the fuse box, then you just need a inline fuse.
In your case with no ACC fuse in the box, i would assume the cigarette lighter plug are ACC and the radio / entertainment center ASO

How parking mode are handled are a bit different, aside for the modes them self.
The ones that rely on a buffer, for the most 5 - 10 seconds they come on and then turn off again 10 - 20 seconds later.
My favorite are segment handling instead, and the way street guardian do it as they save 2 of them from each camera.
So most will just save the current segment being made ( 1-2-3-5-10 minutes however you have chosen ) and that is just fine,,,,, IF A: you are not right at the end of the current file by chance, CUZ then you will not get much of what happen after ( that could be offender reversing and running ) - B : if you by chance are right at the start of the current segment, CUZ then you will not have much of leading up to the event, which are less of a issue i think.

BUT ! Street guardian do 2 files, so say you are using 3 minutes for segment size.
If you are 1 minute into the current segment, then it and the previous one will be saved and you will have 4 minutes before trigger and 2 minutes after.
Alternative say you are 2 minutes into the current segment, then current one will be saved and the following one and you will have 2 minuted from before event and 4 minutes after the event

Of course this are more footage indeed, but in my testing i found it to be no issue, but it might be if you are silly enough to have G-sensor on while driving, CUZ then potholes and what ever the god damn state :mad: do not fix with all the tax money you give them, will eat up on the assigned memory space for events.
But not having such slutter / garbage footage in the event folder and you will have actual events there going back months as the files in the event / RO ( read Only ) folder are safe from being deleted when the card are full.
I personally use the manual event button when i see something i want to save while driving, i would do the same if i got into a small fender bender.

As i use low bitrate always record while park, everything are recorded, so in general i do not need any form of events to be saved, but still i have G-sensor on so if something actually happen at least it will work as a flag to look for.
Same using the manual event button as it usually dont take me weeks to retrive footage, anything that are outside of the saved / locked event will also still be there, i dont drive mych, i think like 15 minuted daily on average, so with the 256 GB cards i need i have footage going back many days.

Last edited:
The 360 video i use the K2S system as side cameras, it have smaller cameras than other remote ( rear ) or similar dual remote camera systems i have seen / tested. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/k2s-received.37896/
img_20190709_214021-jpg.47290

The K2S actually also came with a OBD adapter for powering it, as you can see in the pictures in my thread about it.

It is a bit hard to recommend something i have not tested, or heard about from others, but that dont mean its garbage it could still be a OK system.
I have to excuse myself here, yesterday when i clicked at your link i was sent to Amazon UK and saw some 2 channel system, right now i use my VPN to fake i am American and see the real deal.
And for sure not something i have seen before, looks or the brand name.

Now testing other cameras with a interior camera, you can get a glimpse of what is going on outside by that camera, but it is like looking thru a small window and also depending on how good the system are in exposure the outside might be overexposed.

I have a few videos demonstrating performance of interior cameras on other model systems.

Here interior just a short glimpse in the middle of the video.

Here wearing my 4 of July T-shirt.

To me that is not good enough situational awareness / documentation. that is just what go on in the car.

There are also a longer thread where we talk side cameras. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...a-side-view-dashcam-for-your-car-doors.12675/

It is my understanding that the systems powered thru a OBD adapter are then also able to do parkig guard.

In the conventional systems with 3 wire hard wire kit, then yes the ACC are sort of just the trigger wire to know if the care are on or not, you can also tap in other places than the fuse box, then you just need a inline fuse.
In your case with no ACC fuse in the box, i would assume the cigarette lighter plug are ACC and the radio / entertainment center ASO

How parking mode are handled are a bit different, aside for the modes them self.
The ones that rely on a buffer, for the most 5 - 10 seconds they come on and then turn off again 10 - 20 seconds later.
My favorite are segment handling instead, and the way street guardian do it as they save 2 of them from each camera.
So most will just save the current segment being made ( 1-2-3-5-10 minutes however you have chosen ) and that is just fine,,,,, IF A: you are not right at the end of the current file by chance, CUZ then you will not get much of what happen after ( that could be offender reversing and running ) - B : if you by chance are right at the start of the current segment, CUZ then you will not have much of leading up to the event, which are less of a issue i think.

BUT ! Street guardian do 2 files, so say you are using 3 minutes for segment size.
If you are 1 minute into the current segment, then it and the previous one will be saved and you will have 4 minutes before trigger and 2 minutes after.
Alternative say you are 2 minutes into the current segment, then current one will be saved and the following one and you will have 2 minuted from before event and 4 minutes after the event

Of course this are more footage indeed, but in my testing i found it to be no issue, but it might be if you are silly enough to have G-sensor on while driving, CUZ then potholes and what ever the god damn state :mad: do not fix with all the tax money you give them, will eat up on the assigned memory space for events.
But not having such slutter / garbage footage in the event folder and you will have actual events there going back months as the files in the event / RO ( read Only ) folder are safe from being deleted when the card are full.
I personally use the manual event button when i see something i want to save while driving, i would do the same if i got into a small fender bender.

As i use low bitrate always record while park, everything are recorded, so in general i do not need any form of events to be saved, but still i have G-sensor on so if something actually happen at least it will work as a flag to look for.
Same using the manual event button as it usually dont take me weeks to retrive footage, anything that are outside of the saved / locked event will also still be there, i dont drive mych, i think like 15 minuted daily on average, so with the 256 GB cards i need i have footage going back many days.
Please forgive me for my short knowledge. If the ACC fuse will power off when the ignition off. So, why the parking mode require to tap on that fuse in order to work? Because when it off there is still another constant fuse to provide the power for the dashcam. So, eventually the power will get the power from thr constant fuse with or without the ACC fuse.

So, why don't we cant use only constant wire and ground wire for hardwire for the parking mode?

Yes the ACC furs sort of just work as a signaling wire, it is my understanding that even in normal operation the power for the camera come from the always on fuse.
I am not quite sure why most brands have transitioned to this 3 wire approach instead of the old 2 wire, most cameras, even those 3 wire ones also support the old 2 wire approach, where it is no " action " on the G-sensor that change to and from parking guard.
Just no one provide a hard wire kit for 2 wires, aside for the few brands that still use that approach.

A few dashcams also use 12 V to the camera, in those it is not unusual to find low voltage cut off in the camera itself, where as the most use 5 V and have the change from 12 V happen in the hard wire kit, + there are a 4 position slider switch for the low voltage cut off ( most often 11.8 - 12.0 - 12.2 - 12.4 volts )

Back