Please Help

TMan65

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm in need of a dash cam for my pickup truck. Tired of being confused on dashcams. Looking for good night/day vision. Crisp video, discreet

Hi,
I'm in need of a dash cam for my pickup truck. Tired of being confused on dashcams. Looking for good night/day vision. Crisp video, discreet

Hi and welcome.
I might be biased as I have done reviews for Viofo however I have found their dashcams have improved immensely over the years.

Depending on your budget will depend on having a single front-facing dashcam or a front and rear-facing dashcam. There is also multi-camera units etc. It all comes down to what you want and the price usually.

I have used extensively the Viofo A119V3 with GPS and have found it reliable with good image quality.
It is a compact unit that sticks to your windscreen. The sticky tape they supply is 3M brand and it sticks strong. 40 Degree Celcius days it hasn't fallen off the windscreen.
It has features that make it more than a simple dashcam like 2K (2560x1600 video as well as other video settings.)
Parking mode - so you can record after you turn off the car - Does require a separate power kit called a Hard Wire Kit

It uses the current and efficient H264 codec so it keeps files sizes manageable.
Pros as above
Great night image capture
Great day image capture
Small size
Everything comes in the box - Except a memory card. ie you can power it via the supplied power adapter by plugging it into the cigarette lighter port

Cons
At night not great at reading number plates more than a car in front of you. However, Viofo and others who tinker have improved it a lot.
It is fussy with what memory card it uses. Buy a Samsung Evo with a size of 128GB should be fine.
As the unit gets older and has had a few miles on it, it might become a little loose in the socket it fits into on the GPS mount. It really is easy to fix with something that makes the two surfaces firm again like a piece of toothpick. Or you can buy special foam pads made to reduce the problem. (It might come free in the later releases of this dashcam... not sure)

Viofo A119V3 link

Viofo Dashcams link

Hope that helps.
Cheers

Just to add to a little something to @LateralNW's endorsement; for the price, the quality, performance and reliability, the A119 V3 is probably the best bargain available on the dash cam market today.

Back