PMP and Viofo V119V3

ProfX

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I currently have power magic pro installed with the Blackvue DW-590W-1Ch. I want to replace it with the Viofo V119 V3 but retaining the PMP device. Would it work with the existing wiring? I don't want to rip out all the wiring as it's hardwired by an installer.

PMP specs:

Viofo (Not going to use it but here are the specs of their kit):

viofo.png

I was thinking getting a DC jack to Mini USB converter since the Blackvue uses DC jack for its connector and the Viofo uses a mini usb connector.

I currently have power magic pro installed with the Blackvue DW-590W-1Ch. I want to replace it with the Viofo V119 V3 but retaining the PMP device. Would it work with the existing wiring? I don't want to rip out all the wiring as it's hardwired by an installer.
I was thinking getting a DC jack to Mini USB converter since the Blackvue uses DC jack for its connector and the Viofo uses a mini usb connector.
You can order Viofo A119 V3 as standard (with the options you need) and check how it works. The kit comes with a 12V-5V converter to the cigarette lighter socket with a long cable (DC jack to Mini USB converter).
It’s just that not all the functions of the parking mode settings will be available to you, but maybe this will be enough for you.
You can always later additionally order HK3, after you check the operation of A119 V3 and if you have a need
Viofo V3 adapter.jpg

The output of the PMP terminates in a female cigarette lighter plug.. Replace the current Blackvue DW-590W-1Ch plug with the male end of the Viofo V119 V3 and it should work..

Just hang on a cotton pickin' minute. A small point that you have probably realised, but is possibly worth pointing out is that the Viofo requires a 5V input and the PMP has a 12V output, so you absolutely need the Viofo power lead as per post #3. Not doing this could be a fairly expensive mistake.

Yeah thanks for pointing that out.

I’m assuming then the BlackVue DR590 needs 12v input instead of 5v?

I mean if they both take 5v, then I don’t need to replace the cable and just get a dc jack to mini USB converter.

Correct. The BV input is 12V.
Both the previous posters are correct, but I just wanted to flag up an instant warning.
The output of the PMP is 12V and terminates in a female ciggy adapter as said in post #4 so you need the cable in post #3 which includes the 12V to 5V adaptor that fits the PMP output. (Or a similar 12V to 5V converter and USB lead.)

I think it worth pointing out that the PMP output is whatever the main battery voltage is, nominally referred to as 12 volts but typically a tad higher. The "magic" of reducing the voltage from the nominal 12 volts to the 5 required by most dash cams happens in the male portion of the cigarette lighter thingmie. Those cameras that take power directly from a USB port have the magic already applied. So.. as the OP wanted.. plugging in the supplied cable (the one with a cigarette lighter adapter) that typically comes with a camera solves both problems.. it converts the power to 5 volts and has a compatible plug at the camera. If his camera only came with a USB power cord.. then he needs to purchase the other one.

The PMP is "only" a clever switch that has a timer and voltage sensing ability. It does not alter the voltage.

Another thing I noticed and forgot to add...

The PMP has a toggle switch on/off. I noticed that when the power switch is set to off, it will not prevent the dash cam from powering on when the engine or ignition is ON. It only works when the car is switched off and the dash camera will say 'powering down.' If the PMP toggle is switched ON and the car is off, the dash camera will remain on until it goes into parking mode.

Is it supposed to work like that?

I thought the PMP switch is like a kill switch. Once it is off, no matter whether the engine or ignition is ON, the dash camera will remain off.

Yes. And put a slightly different way.
If the switch is in the OFF position, the camera will work just like it's connected directly to an ignition switched supply. i.e. go on and off with the ignition.
If the switch is ON, the PMP takes control and holds the camera on until
a. The car battery drops below the PMP cut off voltage, or
b. The time delay is exceed
whichever comes the soonest.

Yes. And put a slightly different way.
If the switch is in the OFF position, the camera will work just like it's connected directly to an ignition switched supply. i.e. go on and off with the ignition.
If the switch is ON, the PMP takes control and holds the camera on until
a. The car battery drops below the PMP cut off voltage, or
b. The time delay is exceed
whichever comes the soonest.
And.. you need to add because it confuses folk.. that if the PMP turns off due to time or low voltage it is reset to normal when the car is started. Until it is reset (by starting the car) the PMP will stay off no matter the switch position.

Another question...

Would a Thinkware Q800 pro work with my existing wiring I used with my Blackvue DR590W? Since both cameras take a 12V input voltage. Do I need to use Thinkware's cable or would the Blackvue cable work as well? Would parking mode work as well?

The wires are hardwired in my car underneath the headliner so if it works, I don't need to rip out the existing wiring. I heard the Q800 has built in batt protection so the PMP would be kind of redundant?

Another question...

Would a Thinkware Q800 pro work with my existing wiring I used with my Blackvue DR590W? Since both cameras take a 12V input voltage. Do I need to use Thinkware's cable or would the Blackvue cable work as well? Would parking mode work as well?

The wires are hardwired in my car underneath the headliner so if it works, I don't need to rip out the existing wiring. I heard the Q800 has built in batt protection so the PMP would be kind of redundant?
The Blackvue takes a 12 v input but (and I may be wrong) it is converted to something less (5v?) with the cigarette adapter. From one review The front unit is supplied power via a pure power adapter (not USB) that plugs into the cigarette lighter/auxiliary power socket. It's likely that the Thinkware uses a similar adapter

And, it would be extremely unlikely that the plug that goes into the camera is the same for both cameras. You will most likely have to change the cable hidden in the head liner.. sorry.

NO. The Blackvue takes 12V. It's not converted to 5V or anything else. The PMP just switches the 12V on and off depending on the set criteria. The power cable to the BV from it's ciggy adapter is 12V on 2 wires and a 'standard*' 12V power plug to plug into the camera.

If you wanted to run a 5V camera from it, you need a 12V to 5V adapter as in Post #3.

*Except there are several standards.

Blackvue and Thinkware both are 12v input, the plugs are different though, 2 pole power on the Blackvue as their parking mode is done in software, Thinkware use 3 pole power as their parking mode is done in hardware

I stand corrected on the voltage supplied to the cameras..

Back