PMP or battery problem?

hlk

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi ALL, trying my luck here.. . Anyone has blackvue Dashcam installed on a lexus hybrid using power magic pro? Seems like mine doesn't work and don't know why. My car is 2016 lexus RX hybrid

Yellow wire has been wired to hazard fuse and red wire has been wired to power socket fuse using fuse tap. The camera can be turned when the car is on but when engine is off the camera shut itself, same goes to power magic pro green led. The pmp won't turn itself on when car restart and need manually turn off and on again.

I checked the battery the voltage level can sometimes drop to 11.6V when car is off, is this normal? I have technician to check my car battery as well and was told it was still in good condition, 14V when engine is on.

I suspect could it be the battery used by the hybrid won't regulate itself anymore or a faulty PMP?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
What voltage do you have the PMP set to. If the battery voltage drops below that, the PMP will switch off the camera, as that's what it is meant to do? If you have it set to 12.5, then set it to 12V and try again.

What voltage do you have the PMP set to. If the battery voltage drops below that, the PMP will switch off the camera, as that's what it is meant to do? If you have it set to 12.5, then set it to 12V and try again.
Thanks for your reply. I have set to both 12 and 12.5V and the results were the same. I have checked my 12V battery from time to time and it gave between 11.6 to 12.4 when the engine is off.

I am wondering is this normal or is it because of the hybrid car or do I have a near end of life battery. The car just won't keep a constant voltage when engine is off.

Thanks again really appreciate your comment

Set it to 12V will give you the 'best chance' of it working, but if the battery falls below 12V the PMP will switch off just as it is designed to do.
As far as your battery is concerned, I don't have a clue what might be causing your problem other than it is 95% deffo a low battery problem as opposed to a faulty PMP

Reactions: hlk
14V while the car is running is good but only means that the charging system is OK. Battery voltage at rest is what you need to be concerned with. Normally that should be considerably above 12V unless you've got an old or defective battery. But modern cars and their computer-controlled power schemes along with keyless unlocking and the headlights coming on then often drops voltage below the threshold you set, and setting an even lower threshold to compensate for that can stress your battery and leave you with a no-start so it's not really a viable solution.

I'd consider an actual 12.0V setting the absolute minimum, remembering that these devices often have as much as a 0.2 volt error between setting voltage and actual measured voltage which needs to be checked with a meter.

Phil

14V while the car is running is good but only means that the charging system is OK. Battery voltage at rest is what you need to be concerned with. Normally that should be considerably above 12V unless you've got an old or defective battery. But modern cars and their computer-controlled power schemes along with keyless unlocking and the headlights coming on then often drops voltage below the threshold you set, and setting an even lower threshold to compensate for that can stress your battery and leave you with a no-start so it's not really a viable solution.

I'd consider an actual 12.0V setting the absolute minimum, remembering that these devices often have as much as a 0.2 volt error between setting voltage and actual measured voltage which needs to be checked with a meter.

Phil
Hi Phil, thanks for your comments. I think you made a valid point about modern car because the lights are on when I turned off my engine in a low light garage. It seems like 12V settings working for now and every time when it's not working I checked my battery and it showed below 12V so I guess it's the car computer is controlling the battery level.

Thanks guys.

Back