PMP vs OBD

NAZtradamus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to install a newly purchased DR900S hopefully tomorrow.

I've done some research on here in regards to the PMP and that was the route I was set on going down however I have now stumbled across the OBD cable they also offer. Can't find too much information on it and anything I have found seems to be mixed. I rang Blackvue earlier today (UK Centre) and their technician highly rates the OBD install and said it was his preferred method. I mentioned to him a conversation I had yesterday with an installer, who advised to steer clear, but he put that down to installers not being able to charge as much as it makes the install process much easier. I don't think that's entirely true but either way he seemed to sing its praises and recommended I should go for that over the PMP.

I would love to hear so for/against arguments from anyone who has looked into them or even has them installed.

Thanks

where is your OBD port, the plug is pretty big on these which would be a problem in a lot of cases as to how far it hangs out

The only issue I would see is what jokiin just said. If I used one on my car, I wouldn't be able to put the fuse access cover back in place. But there are OBD relocation kits available on amazon fairly cheap. Does the OBD installer have the same adjustable settings as the PMP?

The only issue I would see is what jokiin just said. If I used one on my car, I wouldn't be able to put the fuse access cover back in place. But there are OBD relocation kits available on amazon fairly cheap. Does the OBD installer have the same adjustable settings as the PMP?

in my car the OBD is just above your feet, would kick it off before too long I'm sure

Good point - I’ll check it out properly tomorrow morning and confirm.

My biggest concern is any potential issues caused by using this method rather than the tried and tested PMP/piggyback fuse. If all is well then of course it would be an easier install but not at the cost of causing an potential damage to the ECU. As stated before I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews however the people who do actually use the ODB method don’t report any issues (none that I’ve come across yet anyway).

I'm in the UK too and I just got my DR900S 2ch a couple of days ago and I'm hoping to fit this weekend.

I'm interested in this too as an alternative to using the cigarette port, as I use that for phone charging.

The Power Magic Pro is good because you get the option to turn on or off permanent recording/power and set it to different timers.

The ODB port one doesn't see to have any configuration switches on it other than what appears to be on/off.

I can't find any details about how it works or what options it has.

Here is the description off Blackvue UK;
Description
Electric power controller connected via the OBD II Port. This optional addition should be considered if the BlackVue is going to be operated when a vehicle is turned off and the BlackVue Dash Cam is still going to operate from the vehicle battery. The Conecta is a device that automatically cuts the power to the BlackVue Drive Recorder according to the configured voltage – the power is cut if the voltage drops below the configured value 12V or 24V, to prevent the battery of the vehicle being discharged. This product can be simply self installed into the OBD II port.

PRODUCT features

Electric power controller
preventing car battery drain
power controller for all BlackVue Cameras
12V and 24V Application
3.5 Metre cable length
OBD II Port Connection

https://www.blackvue.co.uk/index.ph...necta-obd-ii-power-controller-detail?Itemid=0

There are 2 power options on it:

Accessory mode will shut it down when you switch the car off.

Parking mode will leave it running and only switch off the unit once it falls below the voltage threshold.

Thanks.
That'd work fine for what I need for the time being, until I decide whether to go for the extra battery pack.

I've ordered from Blackvue UK.
(it's free postage, plus got extra off with discount code DLM10)

I’ve decided to go with the PMP.

Which 2 fuses would you guys recommend tapping into - I was thinking B1 and B8?

Attachments

• 0DD8A9D1-DC26-4ADE-A9E9-AED275453B26.jpeg
    0DD8A9D1-DC26-4ADE-A9E9-AED275453B26.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 14
You need 2 different power fuses.
One with constant power, and one with ignition based power.

I think B1 would be fine for the constant power, but I think B8 may also have constant power. I don't know what car you have, but I can turn the interior light on without the ignition. There have been times in the past where batteries have been drained by the wife leaving an interior map light on...
I'd choose something like D7 for an ignition based power fuse.

hope that helps

I think both of those might be full time. I am thinking B 8 and B 13.

I got a laugh out of D 3. Never heard of simulated exhaust sound till I went for a ride in a friends Lexus.

Thanks for all your help guys. This is now installed and working :)

Quick question - when viewing footage via the app on my iPhone I noticed that in the bottom right hand corner next to UHD it says ‘OFF’.

I’ve checked the settings within the app and it’s set to the highest possible one (extreme).

Any ideas?

That would be for the remote (second) camera. If it was hooked up and running, you would see what it is. Like my 650 it says FHD/HD. with the rear camera removed it say FHD/OFF. I think yours would end up saying UHD/FHD.

Back