PMP with just batt wire via socket?

Pbets

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Considering wiring the pmp using just the always on wire via the cigarette lighter adapter in the car (brand new car don't want to risk warranty) as I only care for the battery drain feature of the pmp and won't use the timer. Will this work? I can't see the pmp needing the other wire to use the drain detection.

Basically this but using the pmp I already have.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0001MQ7FO

Last edited:
Just check your 12v sockets are live when the ignition is off.

On my Mercedes they immediately shut of as soon as the ignition is off. So I had to wire mine a different way.

For me the battery wire is direct to the battery and the switched wire is into one of the fuses which is only live when the ignition is on. Can't remember which off the top of my head.

it needs to know when the car is on or off to work correctly
I see.. I thought it might just be too switch from always on to on only when the car is running and to start the timer (which I won't be using)

I would guess.. that if you wired "only" to an always on source. With the switch on the PMP on your camera would be on and you would be getting the voltage (or timer) function. With the switch (on the PMP) off your camera would also be off. In day to day operation you would have to toggle the switch as to when you wanted the camera running.. It would be interesting to find out what happens if the voltage (or timer) trips (turns off) the PMP. Without a signal from the ACC to effectively reset the PMP it may not come back on until you physically disconnect re-connect it.

Last edited:
I would guess.. that if you wired "only" to an always on source. With the switch on the PMP on your camera would be on and you would be getting the voltage (or timer) function. With the switch (on the PMP) off your camera would also be off. In day to day operation you would have to toggle the switch as to when you wanted the camera running.. It would be interesting to find out what happens if the voltage (or timer) trips (turns off) the PMP. Without a signal from the ACC to effectively reset the PMP it may not come back on until you physically disconnect re-connect it.
Ok I see.. Decided to "hard wire" the pmp using a couple of fuse taps.. Best of both worlds I guess. Thanks guys.

Back