Point me in the right direction?

CAD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I posted some time ago about a dash cam, short story is I didn’t buy one due to lots of reasons really but mainly money or lack of.

I’m now looking to get something that matches the following criteria:

- budget around £120
- to be as descrete as possible to fit a Ford eco sport but I want something I can just leave in the windscreen and forget about
- as above want it to come on when I start the car
- can be hardwired but I’m not too tech savvy so would need to be fairly simple
- doesn’t need an auto park feature as I will be installing cctv to cover nighttime parking
- ideally has a button to press to auto store any incidents

Anything that you think will fit the criteria above?

Thanks in advance

Many cams will meet your criteria. But right now Viofo offers great video quality (especially with modified firmware), good reliability, and very good value for the prices asked. After-sales customer support is good to very good as well; something you don't find as much of as should be. To me, the only downside is the "wedge" form-factor which may make mounting awkward in cars which have large sensor-packs around the mirror.

If that is a problem then perhaps the B1W might be a better fit- equally good except in video quality but cheaper. The 70Mai is similar but with better video; it's main problem seems to be a lack of after-sales factory support though that's not often needed. Nextbase offers a range of dashcams in the UK but research those carefully as some do have known issues. Factory support is excellent with them. And keep in mind the MOT visibility requirements when you consider the mounting- you may need to remove the cam for testing which is usually easy to do. I haven't heard of anyone getting ticketed for improper mounting over there but I guess there's some risk of that.

Forums for each of these cams are here on DCT and you should study those before purchasing to see what it's owners have experienced with them.

Phil

Back