Polarizing Filters - options

danlat1415

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S - 2ch with B-124 battery hardwired
I've got the DR900S 2ch but not fitted yet.
I've also ordered the Polarizing filters for both the front and rear.

They come with a band that goes around the camera and it holds the filter over the lens. The lens is fixed in place so you can't adjust.

I just wondered if anyone else is using these and what they thought?

Also - if not these, has anyone tried adding their own, such as a Nextbase polarizing filter?
The Nextbase one is designed for Nextbase dash cams, but it just sticks on the rim of your exiting lens, but the Nextbase one can be twisted to calibrate yourself.

$_57.JPG

Here is a video of one being adjusted - showing you how effective they are, but also showing that you can fine tune it to your own vehicle - rather than hoping it's fine, with it being fixed in position like the Blackvue ones.

Yes, I have fitted a Nextbase polariser to my 750. You could possibly do some open heart surgery on the lens cap to attach it to the device. Have a search around for my posts and you will likely find my pics. They are possibly in the 750 section.

I ordered the CPL Filters for the front and rear DR900S
(Got third party - Moovika ones)

I'm not too impressed by them.
They fit the cameras fine, but they don't clear as much reflection as I was hoping, as a previous Nextbase I had you could manually adjust and it had great range to suit your situation.

The BlackVue ones are all fixed in position - so you can't adjust them to make them better/worse.

There don't appear to be any official BlackVue CPL filters, although a few resellers are selling third party compatible filters.

Has anyone else had any siliar experiences and recommend an alternative?

I went for the more expensive BlackVue compatible ones, but now thinking I should have made my own using the Nextbase adjustable filter.

Last edited:
adjusting it would only make it worse, they are preset to the maximum setting already, if you are getting some vignetting that's a design issue

but now thinking I should have made my own using the Nextbase adjustable filter.
That's just what I have done on my 750 front cam. I don't have a reflection problem with the rear one.

@danlat1415, Consider the possibility of installing a dash mat in the front. (and maybe the back too, they're available) You'd be amazed at how effective they can be in ameliorating reflections in your windshield. The one I installed works so well that I gave up on CPLs for windshield reflections. And using both a dash mat and a CPL is "killer".

Not a BlackVue DR900S of course but here the sun is directly hitting the windshield obliquely from the upper right. Note there is a minor reflection of the dash mat on the lower right on the hood of my truck but zero reflection in the FOV where it counts. This is a dash mat ONLY.
dashmat.jpg

Last edited:
What is a dash mat?

Presumably matt black and looks horrible?

Those look the same as the ones I got, but off Ebay - from a company called Moovika. These are the ones for the DR750S. Make sure you get the DR900S ones, as the are a different fit over the lens.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132382130567
The look the same - but it was the quality of the fitting that I wasn't impressed with.

It needs something that's sealed in and fitted differently.

Like the ones Blackboxmycar used to sell, but don't anymore:
https://www.blackboxmycar.com/products/blackvue-cpl-filter?variant=25410000199

Last edited:
Those look the same as the ones I got, but off Ebay - from a company called Moovika
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132382130567
The look the same - but it was the quality of the fitting that I wasn't impressed with. The holder of the lense only covers half - so you can see that in the edge of the video, and the edge that doesn't have a holder, you can see the reflection of the lense itself.

It needs something that's sealed in and fitted differently.

Like the ones Blackboxmycar used to sell, but don't anymore:
https://www.blackboxmycar.com/products/blackvue-cpl-filter?variant=25410000199

You are right, they do look the same. It's also interesting how it redirects you to a french website and looking at the eBay seller, they are also based in France. Must be the same!

It's a shame about the design faults you've pointed out - I was going to buy one but won't bother now.

What is a dash mat?

As already explained a dash mat is a cloth cover for your dashboard or rear deck. Some are made from cheap carpeting and look quite hideous while some are much nicer.
The one I purchased is a brushed-suede type which I now recommend, partly for its appearance as well as how well it works to eliminate reflections. The velour ones are not bad either. I was expecting it to look pretty ugly but was pleasantly surprised at how nice it looks in my pick-up truck. It ended up being somewhat of an enhancement rather than an eyesore but I'll admit it did take some getting used to. The bottom line is that it is SO effective that I'm more than happy to live with it. If you are serious about optimizing your dash cam footage a dash mat can be a worthwhile investment.

FWIW, the one in my vehicle looks much nicer than this one but this will give you an idea of what they look like.

dash_mat.jpg

Last edited:
Seems inferior quality by a member Danlat1415 above... plus this one you can rotate the lens and nice gold ring

Will see how it performs when it arrives

Found alternative CPL which looks interesting, and the fact you can rotate the lens ....
CPL Lens

CPL Lens for DR900S - DR900S

This one looks perfect for the DR900S - just what I'm looking for.
It completely covers the lens, so no light gets in the edges, and it is also adjustable.

Thanks - I'll contact them to see if they do the rear as well.

Yes that's the one I bought, but got from their Ebay. It's a company called Moovika.

I got both front and rear from them and I wasn't impressed with the quality.
I got a feeling from the packaging too, as they were just in clear plastic sleeves in a small thin cardboard box just bigger than the filters themselves (which was squashed out of shape in the post). They came in a padded envelope rather than a secure box.

The seem to look fine visually when on the dashcam, but the build quality is quite poor, and the design is also not great due to the issues mentioned above.

I wouldn't recommend them.

Back