Police cameras

BMbler

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Dash Cam
blah
Suspects to be interviewed in the street by police wearing body cameras to cut the cost of taking them to the station

http://dailym.ai/20HeZOL

Does make sense! ;)

Next we just need to get a conviction there and it is hello Judge Dredd :D

I am the law !

:D
Kk, I'll be honest Coppers lately have next to 0 respect and authority, nor they are worth it. They don't work for the purpose or oath or ideals, they work for money.

Whilst cameras, interlinking etc on one hand will widen areas of their negligence and punity, on the other- it will save load of time and effort in mundain offenses/issues/documentation.

I'd say its good move, at least it will benefit them own-self in preventative way of protection, as further it gets, the more pitty I end up having for old fat women in uniform attempting to maintain order.

The concept should be like dashcams- to record everything that transpires without spin or prejudice. But that's not what is happening in my State. A law was passed here leaving the release of all LE video to the discretion of the top department LEO with no way to appeal or demand it's release- even through Federal FOI laws. That is totally wrong as withholding evidence is illegal except apparently for Cops now. I can understand withholding it during investigation but not thereafter; there can be no reason to do that unless the Cops want to hide improper actions on their part. IMHO since the public is paying for all of this so they have the right to access it all, and until recent times that has been the legal standard. Carcam footage was recently released showing a suspect being killed two counties way from me. The State officials say it shows the officer had reason to fear for his life but nobody else seems to see that and the situation is now being appealed and lawsuits filed against those officials for improper use of office and more. My take on that vid is that it's not even close; the Cop murdered someone over suspicion of a misdemeanor. I forsee a SCOTUS case coming in which either they will have to rule LEO above the law or there will be a huge shake-up regarding Law enforcement and attitudes in the Judicial branch of government which IMHO are long, long overdue. It's either that or they will buy out the plaintiffs with a huge (likely undisclosed) settlement which we the people will end up paying for. That happens far too often and should never be allowed to occur.

Just another thing which shows clearly why the LEO-Public relations here have been reduced to the point where nobody is safe anymore. LEO and the Government created this situation, not the public, so we should not be the ones who suffer from this.

Phil

A law was passed here leaving the release of all LE video to the discretion of the top department LEO with no way to appeal or demand it's release- even through Federal FOI laws.

“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”

- George Orwell

Last edited:
“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”

- George Orwell

And "Big Brother is watching you" too. Indeed today we live in the world old George wrote about back in 1948 where we are constantly being monitored, expected to do as told regardless of whether that is right and proper, and having no right to argue or do otherwise. If you even appear to be close to doing anything they don't want you to do they will craft it into your undoing simply because they can and because you do not matter- but they do, and they have the power to make you squirm which they love using. Says a lot about them and us too if we let that continue as-is.

Phil

And "Big Brother is watching you" too. Indeed today we live in the world old George wrote about back in 1948 where we are constantly being monitored, expected to do as told regardless of whether that is right and proper, and having no right to argue or do otherwise. If you even appear to be close to doing anything they don't want you to do they will craft it into your undoing simply because they can and because you do not matter- but they do, and they have the power to make you squirm which they love using. Says a lot about them and us too if we let that continue as-is.

Phil

Interestingly, despite George Orwell's prescience, he never anticipated a world where individuals would be carrying around miniature high definition networked video recorders or would have the the ability to put their own surveillance devices on homes, businesses and in their cars. Coupled with the internet (which in certain ways Orwell did anticipate) the technology has empowered individuals to push back against government oppression at least to some degree. ............“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”- George Orwell

But now we live in a world where everything we do is subject to being recorded and exposed to the world at large via YouTube, social networks and countless other venues, like even DashCamTalk, for instance. ("Bad Drivers Of"?) Big Brother is US!

It's a double edge sword however. While Orwell envisioned a huge monolithic surveillance state, instead the whole nature of the thing is vastly decentralized both among government entities, corporations as well as private citizens. Indeed, Orwell didn't anticipate that much of the full time omniscient Big Brother style monitoring, tracking and surveillance of individual citizens would be at the hands of huge corporations and other commercial entities rather than (or hand in hand with) oppressive governments.

Last edited:
Having the power to do is meaningless until it is used. "Big Brother" isn't necessarily "us" but many give to him without knowing that they are doing that or realizing what is being done with that which was given. It is not enough to see or show something seen unless that causes action to occur, and that isn't happening enough- yet. Related is "Future Shock" by Toffler, which between the two explains much of what we see happening today. Also see "Suffer Little Children" by Rafferty to understand why nothing is happening. Vision, nay, Prophecy is a better word to describe what these authors saw from so long ago, and that prophecy is a dark one for us.

Phil

Turn left,,,,, no the other left :D

Having the power to do is meaningless until it is used. "Big Brother" isn't necessarily "us" but many give to him without knowing that they are doing that or realizing what is being done with that which was given. It is not enough to see or show something seen unless that causes action to occur, and that isn't happening enough- yet. Related is "Future Shock" by Toffler, which between the two explains much of what we see happening today. Also see "Suffer Little Children" by Rafferty to understand why nothing is happening. Vision, nay, Prophecy is a better word to describe what these authors saw from so long ago, and that prophecy is a dark one for us.

Phil

Cell phone video of police corruption, brutality and abuse is an example of what I am referring to. The proliferation of these video captures is leading to changes in public perception and demand for changes in policing behaviors.

Or consider what happened to Mitt Romney's presidential bid when smart phone video of his speech to fellow wealthy elite one percenters accusing the poor of being "takers" went public.

Cell phone video of police corruption, brutality and abuse is an example of what I am referring to. The proliferation of these video captures is leading to changes in public perception and demand for changes in policing behaviors.

Or consider what happened to Mitt Romney's presidential bid when smart phone video of his speech to fellow wealthy elite one percenters accusing the poor of being "takers" went public.

We're on the same page here, but what I see is that these events affect relatively few directly, and while they are a good start, they are not going to be enough to effect change of any significance. In June 1989 100,000 people stood together as one calling only for fair, sensible, non-earthshaking changes and all their efforts gained them was their government forcing them to stop or die as the whole world watched and listened doing nothing except speaking against the mayhem. So it is not how many know and see and speak, but what they do that counts- all the rest means nothing without that.

Phil

We're on the same page here, but what I see is that these events affect relatively few directly, and while they are a good start, they are not going to be enough to effect change of any significance. In June 1989 100,000 people stood together as one calling only for fair, sensible, non-earthshaking changes and all their efforts gained them was their government forcing them to stop or die as the whole world watched and listened doing nothing except speaking against the mayhem. So it is not how many know and see and speak, but what they do that counts- all the rest means nothing without that.

Phil

Large scale changes to society can take decades or generations to come to fruition but they begin with small acts by individuals. This is what happened during the civil rights era that led to the March on Washington and the Civil Rights Act. This is what happened with the Stonewall riots in 1969 that led to anti-discrimination legislation and the legalization of gay marriage 46 years later. There is a similar process at work with video of police brutality and shootings of unarmed people of color being posted on YouTube along with what happened in Ferguson. Indeed, the posting of personal video and use of social networking was the key catalyst to what occurred during the Arab Spring. It all needs to start somewhere. Significant change doesn't ever happen over night. Individuals having the ability to video and freely disseminate documentation is empowering in a way that never existed before and has become a vital tool in pushing back against oppression regardless of how long it might take to achieve long term change.

Change ( the good kind ) tage ages, changs for the worse take seconds, its just a fact of life i guess.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
"Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions."

EDIT:

Allmost forgot
What a sad era when it is easier to smash an atom than a prejudice.

With all these evil police around, I'm just amazed some people have the courage to leave home.
:)

Mostly it's whether you act like a jerk when contacted by police.

I'm often in areas that aren't exactly 'whitebread' territory, and I've yet to come across the piles of dead bodies of minorities.

If you want to believe myths or misconceptions that fit your agenda, that's your right.

When I see 'ferguson' trotted out as an example (again and again) of bad cops vs innocent minority types, it just reminds me the world is full of the clueless.

I'm sure there are some legit examples that can be used that would make more sense?

Mostly it's whether you act like a jerk when contacted by police.

I'm often in areas that aren't exactly 'whitebread' territory, and I've yet to come across the piles of dead bodies of minorities.

If you want to believe myths or misconceptions that fit your agenda, that's your right.

When I see 'ferguson' trotted out as an example (again and again) of bad cops vs innocent minority types, it just reminds me the world is full of the clueless.

I'm sure there are some legit examples that can be used that would make more sense?

These are not "myths or misconceptions". I've personally witnessed black friends of mine being inappropriately questioned and harassed by LEOs. This included a black stock broker friend in a business suit stopped while attempting to visit me in the building I lived in. I literally had to go out there and intervene on his behalf. He was hardly being a "jerk". You sound like a guy who doesn't likely have any black friends.

While it's true that behaving like a jerk or being belligerent and uncooperative when questioned by a cop is a dumb thing to do it that applies to whites as well as people of color. Unfortunately, there are way too many well documented examples and supporting statistics of unarmed blacks ending up abused or dead at the hands of police when compared to whites, whether they act like jerks or not.

Last edited:
kool aid.jpg

:) :) Smiley faces to indicate this is not intended to inflame the thread :) :)

Back