Police giving away dashcams

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
Devon & Cornwall police in the UK are giving away 170 dashcams - as part of 'Operation Snap' to improve road safety.

The dashcams are being given to commercial drivers who regularly drive through these counties, becoming an additional 170 sets of eyes and ears to capture dangerous drivers in action.

Sounds cool but the UK really seems like it has been evolving into more and more of a full on surveillance state over time. This is just one more example. :(

Last edited:
Sounds cool but the UK really seems like it has been evolving into more and more of a full on surveillance state over time. This is just one more example. :(
I agree. It's as though Big Brother is enlisting an army of Little Brothers to keep an on everyone, at all times.

With the dangerous driving I see more and more of I approve of dashcam reporting.

They just need to remember not to overload the authorities with minor breaches.

This one is probably valid for forwarding :

This one is probably valid for forwarding :
What do you think happened in that one?

Appears that GoPro man driving the truck deliberately rammed the Honda, the Honda driver then had to overtake the next car to avoid being rammed into the back of it! Clearly the Honda driver started the incident, but trying to pin any crime on him is going to be difficult, inconsiderate driving at best. Having a large truck does not mean that you are allowed to ram anyone you feel is driving badly, or that you are allowed to drive with brakes that are ineffective. Having a GoPro attached to your head does appear to do so, but the law doesn't recognise that as an acceptable exception to the normal rules!

The consensus is that the truck may have had a heavy or delicate load and wasn't prepared to anchor up. Trucks can't stop as fast as cars.

On the forum where I spotted it is a police member who has said he will follow it up.

The consensus is that the truck may have had a heavy or delicate load and wasn't prepared to anchor up. Trucks can't stop as fast as cars.

On the forum where I spotted it is a police member who has said he will follow it up.
Appears to me that he takes his brakes off again in order to shunt the Honda! Then instantly accuses the Honda driver of overtaking in a 30, which he didn't, he was passed before the 30 sign.

Trucks can stop as fast as cars, the rules of physics ensure that as weight increases, grip also increases to compensate. There are small differences, and air brakes take a little time to activate, but they are also very powerful, only real excuse is for an articulated vehicle, but it was not on a corner at that point. If he had a delicate load then he should have left a bigger gap to the traffic in front, not closed the gap down to a single car length.

Back