Police SUV hits pickup truck on highspeed chase

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
PP driving on the part of the police ... That pickup was holding its line and got rammed for no good reason ...

Some times its like things get magnetic and just pull you in.
Seem like he got off easy if he shot at cops, they generally frown upon that,,, then again who wouldn't.

Looks like the cop was trying to avoid the stinger device, wanted to go left of the pickup but the pickup moved slightly left too for the same reason. The cop had nowhere to go and was going too fast to stop. Should've just gone over the stinger, even if it meant he was out of the game.

I'm guessing the guy in the truck will get the ticket - at least if the boys in blue cover for each other in CA like the do in the US.

I'm guessing the guy in the truck will get the ticket - at least if the boys in blue cover for each other in CA like the do in the US.
There is the possibility as he did not stop although it appears he was in the process of stopping. It could be argued it may have been difficult seeing around the curve
The cops poor handling of his car caused the accident, but if it was me, I would have moved out of the way a long time ago if the curb was not obstructing my view.

From the Ontario website.

When an emergency vehicle is approaching your vehicle from any direction with its flashing red or red and blue lights, or siren or bell sounding, you are required to bring your vehicle to an immediate stop.

When bringing your vehicle to a stop, you are required to bring your vehicle as near as is practical to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. When on a one-way road or divided highway having more than two lanes of traffic, move to the closest curb or edge of the roadway. Your vehicle should be parallel to the roadway and clear of any intersections, including highway on/off ramps. Do not move onto or stop on the shoulder of the roadway, as emergency vehicles may be travelling along it.​

From the Ontario website.

When an emergency vehicle is approaching your vehicle from any direction with its flashing red or red and blue lights, or siren or bell sounding, you are required to bring your vehicle to an immediate stop.​

That's a pretty bad rule, it's likely to completely block a road, or at least cause traffic to bunch up slowing down progress of emergency vehicles.

When I hear sirens the first thing I do is slow a bit and increase the distance to the vehicle in front. Once you've created that working space a world of options opens up.

I don't think the truck falling to stop was the problem here. He failed to move to the side early enough, and then tried to change lane when the police car was right on top of him. That's pretty poor, but it shouldn't be unexpected, police drivers are supposed to be trained to deal with it.

Edit > Watching it again, the cop was simply trying to squeeze between the stinger and the truck by weaving violently to go through at an angle. He severely misjudged the speed of the truck and assumed the gap would open up in time. It didn't. Very bad piece of driving.

And the last thing you can accuse the truck driver of is sudden movements. It's almost like he was on sedatives!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Thinking about this after a second cup of tea, the truck may be charged for NOT moving over, but the cop caused the accident and not the pickup truck ... and recently that has been factored in when making a decision, even if there is NOT video evidence. Emergency vehicles in Ontario have been charged when responding to an incident where there was an accident if it was their actions which was the primary factor. An firetruck driver was charged a few years ago for entering on a red without first checking and police officers from other police forces have been charged. There are few cases of Police officers serving time here. That's one big difference between here and the states.

Since there was an accident, the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) will probably investigate, though I have not heard if that has happened yet.

There are a number of pending cases on their website https://www.siu.on.ca/en/index.php,

That's a pretty bad rule, it's likely to completely block a road, or at least cause traffic to bunch up slowing down progress of emergency vehicles.

I agree and the first time I saw someone do this, come to a complete stop on the NON shoulder lane, I thought are you nuts. On a four lane road with no median this driver stopped in the left lane and did not move to the right to give an ambulance from an opposing lane more room. Its only been in the last few weeks that I have read the act and am familiar with the twisted law. Not only a traffic jam, but If I come to a complete stop as opposed to moving to the right if possible, I would think I run the risk of being rear ended.

Stuff the laws, I do what common sense indicates :) Day before yesterday I was second in line at a red light on a 4-lane as an ambulance approached from behind. The light turned green, the pickup in front of me moved to the left and into the intersection with space ahead of him, and I simply followed him. Neither of us did what was legal but it was the best way to allow the ambulance through as quickly and as safely as was possible in that situation.

Give them room, make your intentions clear, and work with the situation at hand however it really is no matter what the law says.

Phil

I had a coworker was t-boned while going through a major intersection on green. She was hit by a county cruiser who entered on red without stopping (or even slowing). Totalled both vehicles.

Witnesses all stated at the scene that the police car had no lights an sirens on. Despite that, when the Highway Patrol investigated, their final report stated that all interviewed witnesses confirmed the deputy had lights and sirens on, and stopped before entering the intersection.

Contrary to normal police practice, not a single witness name, address, or phone number was taken or included in the report. That is highly suspect.

Neither driver was ticketed, which at first seemed like a break. But without a ticket assessing fault, the coworker's insurance ended up having to foot the bill for her totalled car - and she had no legal standing to challenge the report.

The intersection where this happened had 7 Lanes of traffic that the deputy had to cross before impact. The traffic signals have preemption equipment that make all but the approaching emergency vehicle's direction red. None of that seemed to matter.

It was a clear case of protecting their own.

It goes without saying that this co-worker now has cameras in every one of her cars... And a serious distrust of local law enforcement. Many other coworkers also got dash cameras as a result of this incident.

It was a clear case of protecting their own.

It goes without saying that this co-worker now has cameras in every one of her cars... And a serious distrust of local law enforcement.

The Cops here drive as poorly as everyone else and I've been wrongfully charged before too, so I also do not trust Law Enforcement. That was the main reason I got my first dashcam and it remains that way.

Phil

Stuff the laws, I do what common sense indicates :) Day before yesterday I was second in line at a red light on a 4-lane as an ambulance approached from behind. The light turned green, the pickup in front of me moved to the left and into the intersection with space ahead of him, and I simply followed him. Neither of us did what was legal but it was the best way to allow the ambulance through as quickly and as safely as was possible in that situation.

Give them room, make your intentions clear, and work with the situation at hand however it really is no matter what the law says.

Phil

I posted my video about a pickup truck blocking a car driving on the shoulder and someone mentioned that he saw a civic drive an extended distance on the shoulder. He past the shoulder minutes later with two flat tires.:D

Someone replied to that post and stated there may be debris on the shoulder that one would not find on the main road.

Really, is it advisable for emergency vehicles to drive on the shoulder and get a flat or get disabled

Really, is it advisable for emergency vehicles to drive on the shoulder and get a flat or get disabled

That's their choice to make if their department policy doesn't directly cover it. Almost all first responders are now taught that the most important thing is to arrive in shape to do your business even when that means a longer response time. You're worthless unless you're there and able to perform ;)

Phil

Is it just me or this thread's title doesn't make any sense? :rolleyes:

Thank you. The title has been corrected. Its something that is easy to overlook.

Note to others, if the OP
  1. Thread tools
  2. edit title.

Back