Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Yes, but something went wrong

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • No, not yet, I'm waiting for other users experience

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • No, I prefer to stay on my original firmware

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
It's not a new firmware, just an app update.

But I've heard that f/w 1.1.1 is on the way and solves the freeze problem.

read carefully again my friend. that's precisely what i was saying. :)

Haha, ****ing crap.

Xiaomi servers are ****. I am nearly certain that bad servers are causing the cameras to be bricked. Aftef flawlessly upgrading my YI for each and every firmware through the app, on which I made bunch of tutorials on my YouTube channel, today I did the same thing. Only this time, my camera continued to beep for an hour. Yup an hour. I thought that servers will eventually come to their minds, but nope. I then turned camera on, then off. It remained to beep.
So I pulled out an SD card and inserted another one, my camera is working.
Maybe this can help someone. I will wait for their crappy servers to recover and try to update in the morning, when there is less traffic in China. Does this make any sense?

The one more reason why I assume its their servers, because after an hour of beeping, I minimized the app and try to download it again. Guess what it said? 3 hours remaining for few bloody MB of app! So it must be their servers not responding well. Good thing is that I recovered my camera fairly quickly, but lots of people will not have a ready SD cards to replace, and what then? Really bad thing to happen.

Okay, I quoted myself just to have everything in a single post. So my theory from above proved to be correct one. On of the main reasons Xiaomi YI cameras are becoming bricked is Xiaomi-Chinese Servers. So far I did all my upgrades in the morning +1GMT EU time, and everything went smoothly. At this time, people in China are sleeping I assume :)
Last night at around 23:00 I wanted to upgrade the firmware I downloaded from the morning, but as you see in above post everything was ****ed up.
So I removed the SD card and inserted another one, and my camera was working 100% on previous 1.0.12 firmware. So obviously fw upgrade was not successful.
This morning I tried to download again new firmware, and it says download time 2-3 minutes. FW downloaded in 30 seconds. This means servers are working OK when you see quick download time. As soon as you download FW assuming you previously updated an app, do an update through the APP. Do not use other methods, do not use firmware that is not downloaded from reliable source. I also recommend using official app instead of English one. So after initiating an update FW from the app, whole process will take not more than 2 minutes. Leave your camera to beep and turn off automatically, DO NOT TURN IT OFF yourself.
To sum up this long post :

PRE UPDATING
  1. Use official fw and app
  2. make sure you have enough battery
  3. must have an sd card inside, and always keep one spare in case something goes wrong.
UPDATING :
  1. Download firmware update - Initiate FW update from the APP (Settings|Firmware version|)
  2. If the download is quick, under 2-3 minutes TOP - CONTINUE TO UPGRADE
  3. If the FW download is slow, and says something like 2 hours, 3 hours, DO NOT UPGRADE!!! Try another time. Go take a nap. DO NOT UPGRADE. THIS MEANS SERVERS ARE CROWDED, AND YOU WILL BRICK YOUR CAMERA. Did I say not to upgrade? Oh, do not upgrade if servers/download is slow!
  4. If the download was quick, just follow the steps in any of my previous tutorials on YT.
This was an update from my own personal experience. I am not responsible if you are not patient and do not read carefully. Anyway, this method is better then all of others and other alternatives you will read online. So before updating READ , RESEARCH and then update. Unfortunately Xiaomi made crappy updating process, but it is your fault if you are not patient and not informed.

For video tutorial, follow this one, process is the same, but make sure to follow steps above.

Good luck. For any help, there are many of the threads on this forum. Or feel free to ping me on my YT as I see comments there faster.

Hello guys,

Taking in consideration that 60fps movies with 35mbps are very big, regarding that the amount of data recorded in each frame is higher, i'm yould like to try to increase the bitrate in 30fps to 18 or 20 just. As far as I know in Yi the bitrate only 12mbps. This will increase the quality of the video, but maybe doens't put the camera so hot as with 60fps with 35mbps.
I'm using the scrip from https://github.com/funneld/XiaomiYi/tree/master/autoexec.ash/1.1.0-fw to do 60fps with 35mbps, and works grate. But no one is playing with 30fps. Any one as a autoexec with this kind of config?

Hi

I’ve tried to find some benefits by upgrading my cam from 1.0.12>1.1.0. Since I use it for diving in dark water the ability to get good video in poor light conditions are my prio. Right now I have no problems at all. Aprox 90min of battery time and no USB>pc ore app problems (v1,6 on Ios7/IPhone 5)

Can someone tell me what benefit upgrading would give me since the risk of bricking it seems relatively high??

...Can someone tell me what benefit upgrading would give me since the risk of bricking it seems relatively high??
For me its the blinking please wait indication during power up, and smaller delays.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PistolPex Yi Action Camera 11
Back