Poor front video quality when using front and rear camera

chair52

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

Just wanting to see if anyone else is experiencing this - I have recently bought the rear add on for the 512gw, however recordings of the front camera are now much poorer quality. This is not due to it recording in 1080p as I normally record in this anyway.

Could this be due to the bit-rate or something down grading as it has to record two simultaneously or is there something wrong with my front camera do you think?

Thanks,

what bitrate were the recordings previously, what bitrate are they now?
I’m not sure yet - going to check when I get home.

Attached are a couple of examples of how they look now vs how the looked previously. You can see that now it’s very difficult to make out number plates etc whereas before you could a little more.

Before:
5E913239-C995-4CDC-BBAC-34B49C822508.jpeg

After:
DDEA87F8-F70C-4427-ABB8-82BE9EDE5EC5.jpeg

Before:
E5D6B170-5613-4A3C-9B6B-A461CA880870.jpeg

After:
2008FC67-1762-4E7D-AA48-EA3CC57018B2.jpeg

I know these aren’t exactly the same images, but detail seems so much better in the previous images.

Thanks

Wot he said. But admit that the before looks better than the after.

When rear camera is added to this system the recording from fronat and rear revert to 1080p, without rear camera fitted the front only, on the system, will record at 1440p - if this sresolution is selected.
Should 1440p be selected and both front and rear cameras are operational the both camera will record at 1080p.

Not sure why they had to do this downgrade? Bandwidth?

Its a shame, as you don't expect an add-on to also be a degrade other features.

Still it's a dashcam, as long as it records stuff...1080p is fine for the job it is required to do.

When rear camera is added to this system the recording from fronat and rear revert to 1080p, without rear camera fitted the front only, on the system, will record at 1440p - if this sresolution is selected.
Should 1440p be selected and both front and rear cameras are operational the both camera will record at 1080p.

My camera was already recording at 1080p before I added the rear camera - it would appear it has been downgraded further from this.

I have checked the bitrate of previous files and current ones - it has gone from 14400kbps down to 11600kbps so there is definitely a downgrade in quality.

Very disappointed as now I am struggling to make out number plates etc

Last edited:
as you don't expect an add-on to also be a degrade other features.

That was why for a long time no one could recommend a dual system as they was often for hardware reasons a compromise that would be worse then 2 single channel cameras.
But that should not really be the case with modern hardware.

Hmm that is disappointing. I'll check at the weekend to see it I'm content with it. If not then I guess it's a chat with nextbase and maybe a return of the camera.

I'd rather buy a second cam and wire it up and have something that is poor enough that there is a good chance you dont get the evidence when you really need it.

Hmm that is disappointing. I'll check at the weekend to see it I'm content with it. If not then I guess it's a chat with nextbase and maybe a return of the camera.

I'd rather buy a second cam and wire it up and have something that is poor enough that there is a good chance you dont get the evidence when you really need it.

Yes a real disappointment. I am awaiting contact from Nextbase so will see what they come back with.

Here is a shot from the initial video that I noticed it on yesterday. Look at how soft that is.

89706487-9733-401B-8E8F-AA3F19FF4993.jpeg

If you zoom in to the wall on the left there is not detail really at all.

The footage look OOF too ( Out Of Focus ) but thats a optical thing and should not be affected by rear camera or not or 1080p Vs 1440p.

In rare situations focus can slide out with heat and pop back again when it get colder, but most times it just stay OOF as far as i know.

The footage look OOF too ( Out Of Focus ) but thats a optical thing and should not be affected by rear camera or not or 1080p Vs 1440p.

In rare situations focus can slide out with heat and pop back again when it get colder, but most times it just stay OOF as far as i know.

Yes I did consider that too - but as I said this only happens when the rear camera is added in too.

The before isn't clear either @chair52 whether on 1440p or 1080p the images shouldn't be fuzzy as yours are.

I don't think I've come across your email yet but we'll get back to you soon.

The before isn't clear either @chair52 whether on 1440p or 1080p the images shouldn't be fuzzy as yours are.

I don't think I've come across your email yet but we'll get back to you soon.

Hi Tiffany,

Thanks - it has been picked up by James in support. Will keep you all posted

Thanks

Hi Folks,

Just as an update - Nextbase think this may be to do with the SD card. They are sending me out an alternative SD card to see if that fixes it.

I am not sure myself as I already use a high speed card but I am open to trying different things to see what fixes it.

Will keep you all up to date in case you have similar issues.

Thanks

I have the same issue as you. Front camera goes blurry and soft focus when the rear camera is connected. Rear camera appear to be fine though. I am using a SanDisk Ultra 128Mb. When the wife gets home I will swap my card with her Samsung and see if that makes any differLights1.jpgence. Keep us informed of your progress @chair52.

Last edited:
Daum :confused: i did not expect that connection of rear camera could do such a thing, actually only way i could imagine it to work was if the additional camera generated more heat and so effected the front camera.

But seemingly i am wrong here, so i will chalk this up as a learning experience.

@kamkar1 I thought at first it was the drop in resolution, but when compared with the back camera (which looks good) this is significantly worse.

Back